1.    #1  
    I live in NYC (Manhattan). I wanted a GSM Treo 600, which doesn't work on my current carrier, Verizon , and I've decided to go with T-Mobile.

It's not that I'm unhappy with Verizon coverage, I've been with them for 5 years; it's the new phone I gotta have.

I want the T-Mobile $40 600 minute plan with free weekends and nites, and I want to add on the $20 unlimited (VPN) internet, and enable international use.

All the "rewards" for signing up as a new customer seem to be directed to the phone. I don't need a phone. I have a Treo 600 (cingular branded, unlocked, from HS) due in the next week or so, and an unlocked Sony Ericsson T200 I used in Europe this year.

So I can't decide where to "sign up" for service.

Can a T-Mobile company store give me a choice of phone numbers? Verizon always let me pick from a large list of "available" numbers, but I've never had a GSM carrier here in the states. Am I "stuck" with whatever phone number I get?

Can any place give me some sort of incentive other than a deal on the phone?

If there is absolutely no reason to not get a phone with the new contract, (i.e., it's the exact same price with or without the phone), which phone do you recommend I get? I'm not an ebay person, so I don't know exactly what I'll do with the phone, but...

The amazon.com deals look good at first glance, but they require I pay for the phone and then deal with mail-in rebates. This is a pain in the ***, and generally unreliable.

Since I live in NYC, I can walk to a corporate T-Mobile store, or choose from hundreds of independents, shady or otherwise.

I would really appreciate recommendations about where to buy the service (and why).

Thanks!

Bill S
    You should be able to transfer you cell number over to Tmobile now that number portability is here.

As for where to get your service, call Tmobile customer service, tell them you want to make the switch and see what they can do for you.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by stephman
    You should be able to transfer you cell number over to Tmobile now that number portability is here.
    I know that. I'm not going to transfer my current number anywhere. My questions have nothing to do with transferring another number. (I plan on checking out the GSM coverage for a while before considering moving my Verizon number).

As for where to get your service, call Tmobile customer service, tell them you want to make the switch and see what they can do for you.
    I know I can call T-Mobile. I can walk two blocks to a corportate T-Mobile store if I want to. The whole reason I asked the questions here was to get an idea of my options before I made any phone calls or walks to T-Mobile (probably first thing next week).

I appreciate the suggestion, but I don't think it answers my questions.

Bill S
    cut out the middle man, walk the two blocks to t-mo corp.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Felipe
    cut out the middle man, walk the two blocks to t-mo corp.
    I plan on walking over later today (Mon) or tomorrow, I was just hoping someone could give me some insights.

The money part isn't that important, but I can't see throwing away a free phone for no good reason.

Bill S

ps Does anyone know about the other question I asked: Can I choose a phone number (from a list of available phone numbers), or am I "stuck" with whatever phone number I get?
    Originally posted by tvBilly

ps Does anyone know about the other question I asked: Can I choose a phone number (from a list of available phone numbers), or am I "stuck" with whatever phone number I get?
    I know that a couple of years ago I was able to pick a phone number from T-Mobile, but I don't know if you definitely still can. Your best bet will be in a T-Mobile store, or by telephone. A reseller probably has less chance of being able to let you pick a number.

I plan on walking over later today (Mon) or tomorrow, I was just hoping someone could give me some insights.

The money part isn't that important, but I can't see throwing away a free phone for no good reason.

Bill S

Maybe you could just take the free phone and sell it on ebay? I don't know how much resale value it will have though.
    Heres your best bet my friend: Pick up a Nokia 3650 Camera phone off WWW.AMAZON.COM, send in the rebates and get your 300 dollars back. Sell phone brand new unlocked (get an unlock code free from tmobile) for around 200 bucks. Put the sim in your Treo 600 and u got 200 bucks towards your 40 dollar a month bills. This is what i did and it worked out great!

(four days later I reply...)

I signed up for T-Mo last week at a corp site, and got three tries for a custom 'last four digits'. All three were misses, so I got a random number.