1.    #1  
    It seems that AT&T has no unlimited web access plan. Can that be true?

I thought unlimited web access, as opposed to hourly rates was an issue long ago settled - every online service I know of is unlimited. T-Mo has it's $20 plan, Sprint it's $15 plan in the wireless world.

How does their $20 plan translate into actual utilization for every day users?

If you are a moderate user, will you blow past their $20 8MB plan?
    Basically ATT's data plans suck! They're ridicuoulously overpriced and if you do any amount of streaming, browsing, etc, then that 20 MB limit is toast...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    att has unlimited but it is 80 bucks a month
    Be careful here. Make sure you know whether the limits are for megabits (Mb) or Megabytes (MB) there is a big difference.

1 Megabit = 1000 bits

1 Megabytes = 1,048,576 bytes or 8,388,608 bits

20 Megabits = 2.5 Megabytes (roughtly)

Most pages are measured in KB (kilobytes) which is one tenth of a megabyte. And data speeds are measured in kilobits.

This may not apply to data limits from AT&T, but when it comes to data speed a lot of newbies wonder why a one megabyte photo takes several minutes to load on their 30kbps connection.

1 megabyte = 8192 kilobits devide that by 60 and you will see how many minutes it will take that picture to load.

I am no math wiz so forgive me if my figures are a little off.
    Originally posted by pcsnpixels
    Be careful here. Make sure you know whether the limits are for megabits (Mb) or Megabytes (MB) there is a big difference.

1 Megabit = 1000 bits

1 Megabytes = 1,048,576 bytes or 8,388,608 bits

20 Megabits = 2.5 Megabytes (roughtly)

Most pages are measured in KB (kilobytes) which is one tenth of a megabyte. And data speeds are measured in kilobits.

This may not apply to data limits from AT&T, but when it comes to data speed a lot of newbies wonder why a one megabyte photo takes several minutes to load on their 30kbps connection.

1 megabyte = 8192 kilobits devide that by 60 and you will see how many minutes it will take that picture to load.

I am no math wiz so forgive me if my figures are a little off.
    I agree with your premise....

However, a kilo<anything> is a thousand of that thing...

A mega<anything> is a million of that thing...

This a mega<anything> is a thousand kilo<anythings> (not ten, as suggested above).
    Originally posted by Monster_usa
    att has unlimited but it is 80 bucks a month
    Same thing with Verizon. It cost something like $50-80 USD for unlimited data! That's absolutely horrible!

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    AT&T uses a proxy server to cut down on bandwith transitted over GPRS, but bills on gross bandwith requested (before compression) rather than net bandwidth (transmitted over the air). I don't know the degree of compression , but in any case it seems a tad unfair.
    Rusty J
    Tungsten T3 + S/E T616
    Cingular's data plans suck as well, so this issue is, unfortunately, far from settled. A couple additional notes (hopefully I state these correctly)...

Cingular
    - For $3.99/month you can get their "Wireless Internet" plan which allows you to use CSD (dial-up over GSM). This is not GPRS and will be far slower (9600 baud modem speeds), but will use your minutes as opposed to being charged per MB. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $you$ $don$'$t$ $need$ $your$ $own$ $ISP$ $for$ $this$ ($which$ $was$ $the$ $case$ $with$ $T$-$Mobile$ $before$ $they$ $had$ $their$ $GPRS$ $service$). $Cingular$ $is$ $rapidly$ $moving$ $to$ $the$ $850$ $GSM$ $band$ $which$ $has$ $better$ $building$ $penetration$ $than$ $the$ $1900$ $GSM$ $band$.

Verizon
    - May not be of interest to Treo users, but is useful to know anyway. They have a similar thing as Cingular going. You can pay per MB, or you can use a plan which will use your voice minutes. The good thing is that the latter method still makes use of their high speed network (which, like Sprint's, is much faster than GPRS). Many have had success using cables to hook certain phones to PDAs and laptops, but as always you want to be careful how much you use it for fear of being noticed as abusing the intended purpose.

AT&T
    - Just plain sucks. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$'$s$ $no$ &$quot$;$use$ $your$ $minutes$ $instead$&$quot$; $method$ $and$ $the$ $pricing$ $per$ $MB$ $is$ $expensive$. $OTOH$, $they$'$re$ $the$ $first$ $to$ $offer$ $EDGE$ $now$, $which$ $offers$ $speeds$ $along$ $the$ $lines$ $of$ $what$ $Sprint$ $and$ $Verizon$ $offer$. $There$'$s$ $only$ $one$ $phone$ $that$ $supports$ $this$ $so$ $far$ $and$ $it$'$s$ $not$ $Bluetooth$ $and$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $you$ $can$ $get$ $a$ $cable$ $for$ $it$. $AT$&$amp$;$T$ $looks$ $to$ $be$ $converting$ $much$ $of$ $their$ $network$ $to$ $the$ $850$ $band$, $but$ $I$ $don$'$t$ $think$ $they$ $have$ $as$ $many$ $licenses$ $for$ $this$ $band$ $as$ $Cingular$, $so$ $I$ $think$ $that$ $they$'$ll$ $have$ $a$ $mixed$ $network$ $with$ $some$ $of$ $it$ $still$ $using$ $the$ $1900$ $band$.

T-Mobile
    - Pricing is a bit confusing. My understanding is that you don't have to pay anything to use their "WAP" mode, which will still let you access many web sites, but not certain ports and not https (secure) sites. In order to have full access to all of the web, you'll need to pay for the $20/month unlimited data plan (if you have a voice plan - $30/month for data only with no voice minutes). This is GPRS, so speeds aren't as good as Sprint's (somewhere in the 30Kbps range, I believe). T-Mobile uses the 1900 band and, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $has$ $no$ $licenses$ $and$ $thus$ $no$ $plans$ $to$ $switch$ $to$ $the$ $850$ $band$.

Anyone who knows better than me on any of this, feel free to correct me.

Scott
    Now THIS is the future of smartphones.