Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I've seen in a few posts that people mention a $19.95 monthly fee for unlimited net access from T-Mobile as opposed to ATT charging $70 or $80.

I am currently a T-Mobile customer with an SE T610, I plan to upgrade to a Treo 600 when they become available. I currently pay $10 a month for a WAP/GPRS package called T-Zones pro. The $19.95 package is called T-Mobile internet, but from what I can see on their site, it is for use with a wireless access PC card for a laptop.

So I guess my question is: Will the $10 T-Zones package work with the Treo 600 or do I need to get the more expensive Internet package?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I just bought my Treo 600 from Handspring directly with the Cingular badging. It is coming soon, unlocked and will work with T-Mobile. I can't wait to walk into a few of their stores and show it off!

As to the GPRS, here is the deal. T-Zones access is GPRS but with port 9201 allowed out only. So one can do WAP, but that is about it. There are Palm OS-based wap browsers that should work fine, but no Palm Email client is going to work with this plan. Unless, you havea acouple of static ips and servers to mess with. If you bring up a web proxy server on Port 9201 that forwards to port 80, you'll be able to use Blazer (I have done this) For email, you need two ip addresses one on 9201 that forwards to 110 or 143 for pop/imap and one on 9201 the forwards to port 25. It's nuts, but it should work fine. Alternatively, get the T-Mobile VPN plan for $19.95. Then with some drivers for windows, you should be able to do full web browsing and email on the Treo, or on a laptop with the Treo as a wireless modem.
    Mike
    With any voice plan over $29 (I think), you can add on unlimited internet (all ports) for GPRS at $19.95 per month. That is probably what you really want.
    I have the $4.99 plan, and I can get WAP, HTML, my POP3 mail & send mail via SMTP. This is on my P800. I am waiting for my Treo 600 to arrive (Monday! ) and I will let you know then. I think you only need the 19.99 plan if you want FTP, etc etc. But I could be wrong about this....
    Originally posted by jskier
    I have the $4.99 plan, and I can get WAP, HTML, my POP3 mail & send mail via SMTP. This is on my P800. I am waiting for my Treo 600 to arrive (Monday! ) and I will let you know then. I think you only need the 19.99 plan if you want FTP, etc etc. But I could be wrong about this....
    Please post a follow up note, I was planning on signing up for the $19.99 internet plan, but $4.99 sounds much better

I'd be very curious on how well this works for you including what you can and can't access and any special settings etc....
    No good deed goes unpunished
    I just got the Treo 600 a couple of hours ago
    It has finished charging, and I have done some experimenting. I am able to get web pages (WAP & HTML) as well as send & receive mail (POP3 & SMTP) with the $4.99 T-Zones plan.
    The only hiccup is that you must go to Prefs-> Network and select "T-Zones" from the dropdown menu. If "T-Mobile Internet" is selected, it will not connect correctly.
    Also, once the Treo connects to GPRS it does not appear to automatically disconnect?!? On my P800, there was a setting to tell it to disconnect the GPRS connection after a set amount of inactivity. Is there a similar setting on my Treo (I am new to this PalmPilot thang).
    BTW, my treo is an unbranded (not Cingular, not AT&T) one.
    That's some very good/interesting news.
    I may not have to cancel my 9.99 unlimited t-zones plan after all.

Please keep us updated on how this continues to work for you.
    Thanks
    Also, can you check to see if you can get to Tmobiles T-Zones page?

Thanks
    T-Zones homepage does NOT work via this method. However, I think that this is due to the fact that T-Zones homepage will ONLY load on a WAP ONLY browser. Treo 600's Blazer is HTML & WAP, and so T-Zones homepage will not load. The same thing happens on my P800 (with the $4.99 plan). The T-Zones homepage will load on the P800 internal (WAP only) browser, but will NOT load on Opera for P800 (WAP & HTML).

Originally posted by stephman
    Also, can you check to see if you can get to Tmobiles T-Zones page?

Thanks
    How abot applications such as Verichat? Cause if that will work on the $4.99 plan too...why am I paying $20?!
    Sorry, but I don't use Verichat so I won't be able to test it for you...
    Has anyone tried using the "free" (included) T-Mobile wap browsing with the T600? I have free unlimited wap as a part of my plan (like everyone else), but I understand that the ports are limited.

What if you don't have a static IP to set up proxy? Is there some way to browse without getting a T-Mo data plan?
    Originally posted by Alli
    How abot applications such as Verichat? Cause if that will work on the $4.99 plan too...why am I paying $20?!
    How about using the Treo 600 with T-Zones as wireless modem using PdaNet Modem ?
    we received our 2 new cingular branded t600s last night and dropped in our new tmo sim cards.

im posting this message from it and I have no data plan at all. I just set the network to TZones and it works like a champ. im probably going to sign up for unlimited picturemail just for fun, but skip the rest for now.

its hard to believe, but from all of the postings over at howardforums.com it looks like gprs access is open to everyone for free, and you are only charged for messaging, access to th tzones portal (who cares) and access to special ports like ftp telnet vpn etc. I can live without those for now. in fact, some people are using AOL AIM, etc. by changing the port to 80. you should get access to pop imap smtp http for free! for how long? who knows, but the 4.99 and 9.99 plans don't buy us treo users much of anything as far as I can tell.

I love this phone and im starting to love tmobile! typing on this isn't half bad either.
    Originally posted by yelofelo
    we received our 2 new cingular branded t600s last night and dropped in our new tmo sim cards.

im posting this message from it and I have no data plan at all. I just set the network to TZones and it works like a champ. im probably going to sign up for unlimited picturemail just for fun, but skip the rest for now.

its hard to believe, but from all of the postings over at howardforums.com it looks like gprs access is open to everyone for free
    You said that you selected the T-Zones network.

Do you have T-Zones as an add-on to your calling plan, or are you saying that it appears T-Zones is available to everybody for free now?
    Correct- i have not signed up for a data plan. No T-zones add-on. Just $69 800 minute 2 phone family plan.

In the network prefs, there are 3 options-
    TMobile Internet
    TZones
    TMobile VPN

The default setting was TMobile Internet, which wouldn't connect. When I changed it to TZones, it works perfectly on both of our Treos.

I'm going to check with TMobile to make sure we don't get any surpises come billing time, but all signs point to basic unmetered GPRS at no charge.
    Correct- i have not signed up for a data plan. No T-zones add-on. Just $69 800 minute 2 phone family plan.

In the network prefs, there are 3 options-
    TMobile Internet
    TZones
    TMobile VPN

The default setting was TMobile Internet, which wouldn't connect. When I changed it to TZones, it works perfectly on both of our Treos.

I'm going to check with TMobile to make sure we don't get any surpises come billing time, but all signs point to basic unmetered GPRS at no charge.
    I would appreciate it if you post what your findings are after talking to T-Mobile. I'm getting my Treo 600 on Wednesday so I'd like to know what to expect as well.

TIA!
    I just got off the phone with TMobile.

The rep in their data group was nice and helpful, but not very knowledgeable. She said that everyone can get onto the net if they have a phone that supports it so you can buy ringtones, etc. The 5.00 plan adds tmobile email, tzones portal access, etc... for people with WAP phones.

She swore that the 10.00 plan included unlimited SMS and MMS (picturemail). I was about to jump and take it, but I questioned her repeatedly on this, and she asked her manager twice to confirm. She eventually agreed that she was mistaken, and that the 10.00 plan is the 5.00 plan with the addition of the service for accessing corporate exchange and Lotus servers. unlimited pix mail is another 4.99 and text sms is anothe 2.99 or 6.99 on top of the 10.00.

The 20.00 plan is for full internet access for people with PDAs and Laptops.

I signed up for the $4.99 MMS plan on each phone. You can get around this by attaching photos to regular email, but I'll give this a try for a month.

I'm also getting the insurance on both phones. I'd say its definitely worth it on a phone this expensive.

The rep in their data group was nice and helpful, but not very knowledgeable. She said that everyone can get onto the net if they have a phone that supports it so you can buy ringtones, etc. The 5.00 plan adds tmobile email, tzones portal access, etc... for people with WAP phones.
    I called too and was told that if one does not sign up for T-Zones one will still be able to download ring tones, etc.

But... it seems that you're able to actually browse the web, right? Are you able to go to www.espn.com? How about Hotmail?

She swore that the 10.00 plan included unlimited SMS and MMS (picturemail). I was about to jump and take it, but I questioned her repeatedly on this, and she asked her manager twice to confirm. She eventually agreed that she was mistaken, and that the 10.00 plan is the 5.00 plan with the addition of the service for accessing corporate exchange and Lotus servers. unlimited pix mail is another 4.99 and text sms is anothe 2.99 or 6.99 on top of the 10.00.
    yelofelo

I read your post with great interest, the information seemed so unlikely but I thought what the heck I'd give it a try, presently I'm not subscribed to Tzones but choose this from the network preferences and was able to surf the web without any problems.

I will be calling and subscribing to unlimited tzones this morning for $4.99, don't want any nasty surprises at the end of the month. My concern is that GPRS seems to stay active all the time and there doesn't seem to be an easy way to disconnect. On the old blazer you could set it to disconnect as soon as you closed the application.

Am I missing something?

Thanks for you note, this will save me some $$$$
    No good deed goes unpunished
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast