Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Originally posted by faaltoo

What about SMS ? Are you paying anything extra for that ?
    sms does not require net access. I had the 500 msgs for $2.99 long before I got my treo, because I do a huge ammount of sms. I guess you could send sms from Yahoo! Mobile, and that would be free because of your free net access (hmmm, just thought of that ).

let me know if that helps!
    Last edited by Scorpiusss; 12/15/2003 at 09:02 PM.
    May the G4ce be with you
    I've read thru this thread and want to switch my service from Cingular to T-Mobile for my Treo 600. Can I make the switch to T-Mobile over the phone? I assume they would have to send me a new SIM.

If I've read this right, I just need to select a voice plan and tell them I want the free WAP access enabled (which will enable GPRS), and I don't need to bother telling them what type of phone I have so they don't hassle me abuot it. I don't need to sign up for T-Zones or the $29.99 unlimited internet access. Anything else? Thanks!
    Sparky76,

You could buy a phone from Amazon.com with a Tmobile 1-year service plan, get the rebates from Tmo and Amazon, end up with a backup phone and money in your pocket. For example, the Sony Ericsson T610 costs $100, but you get $200 in rebates (after one month of service, as long as you sign up for a $39.99/mo plan or higher) plus you get a free wireless Blue-tooth headset. Just pop the sim in your T600 and you are good to go.

Note: If you want to keep your current number, after you get the new phone and number from Amazon, just call Tmo and initiate a porting request. It might take a while, but eventually, it should work (took 7 days for mine to switch, but I was switching from AT&T Wireless).
    That's a great idea! And you get internet access with the basic phone plan?
    Yep. You might have to call Tmo and request free WAP/unlimited GPRS, but it only takes a minute.
    One more question-is the Sony Ericsson T610 phone you got locked to T-Mobile? I'm thinking I could give/sell the phone to a friend who uses Cingular.
    The SE T610 I got from Amazon is locked to T-Mobile (I tried it with a Cingular SIM and it did not work). I've heard that T-Mobile will unlock your phone after 90 days. Perhaps they'd do it sooner.
    JSkier: this is the one part of your post that has me puzzled:

BTW, my treo is an unbranded (not Cingular, not AT&T) one.
    How did you get an unbranded 600? Did you just get lucky when they sent your "cingular" phone?
    Originally posted by andrewconrad

How did you get an unbranded 600? Did you just get lucky when they sent your "cingular" phone?
    he probablt applied the firmware update.

or bought it from an over seas company.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Felipe,

Hi. I know you also have a cingular t6, as do I. Are you running in Cingular or T-Mobile GSM ntwk?

Also, I was wondering if you had applied the firmware update to you cingular phone, or if you knew any other cingular branded t6 owner who had applied the firmware update and your/their experience has been.

Thanks.

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    Originally posted by andrewconrad

You can get the "unbranded" one directly from Handspring. It's not available via the website, but if you call the 800 number they can send you one. Mine came with a Spanish manual & the initial firmware was the INT version.
    I subsequently applied the patch. Nothing changed (logos, etc), but the phone works better now (no screech or echo anymore & faster GPRS).
    Originally posted by aolumide
    Felipe,

Hi. I know you also have a cingular t6, as do I. Are you running in Cingular or T-Mobile GSM ntwk?

Also, I was wondering if you had applied the firmware update to you cingular phone, or if you knew any other cingular branded t6 owner who had applied the firmware update and your/their experience has been.

Thanks.

aolumide
    aolumide,

correct, I have a cingular and am using it with t-mo.

I have not upgraded the firmware. I'm just plain chicken.

I believe I saw 1 or 2 post in the worldwide gsm forum who (jennyfur?) did the upgrade. Seems to work.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by Felipe

aolumide,

correct, I have a cingular and am using it with t-mo.

I have not upgraded the firmware. I'm just plain chicken.

I believe I saw 1 or 2 post in the worldwide gsm forum who (jennyfur?) did the upgrade. Seems to work.
    Felipe,

Well, I went for it............and it went well!

I ran the firmware upgrade prc file from one of my SDIO cards, and followed some directions created by a worldwide gsm forum member (update file is available for download within the worldwide GSM forum). It took about 12 mins to execute the install.

The calls are definitely of better quality. Also, my GPRS speed has picked up, according to the speed test at http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

I tested before and after the update. It went from 38 KBPS to 45 KBPS.

Haven't noticed any other differences so far. Will let you know if anything else happens (good or bad!)

Now, my phone info reads thus:

Firmware:02.08
    Software: Treo600-1.09-INT
    Hardware: B

Regards,

aolumide
    -- "In the country of the blind, the one-eyed man is king" --
    I could not resist the temptation of going for the upgrade and thus finally took the plunge yesterday night.

What I see now is

1. Network coverage - slightly better
    2. Call Quality - slightly better
    3. Web Access - Much better
    4. Battery life - VERY POOR NOW

I cannot believe that the battery life has gone down so much. I forgot to bring the phone with me today and it was lying down in my home with just the GSM Mail app polling for my mails every 30 minutes, nothing else. I reached home and saw the battery level showing 40 % !!!!!!!!!!
    In my entire 2 months of usage battery has never gone down more than 65% in a day (and this is with heavy usage, browsing, emails, voice calls, games etc.)

Now this is forcing me to think, was it a good idea to jump the gun or ???

I also read somewhere else in this forum that the phone just dies if you are out of battery juice...

hmmmmm
    i am trying to decide about upgrade, anyone else notice battery problems?
    Originally posted by yelofelo
    I just got off the phone with TMobile.

The rep in their data group was nice and helpful, but not very knowledgeable. She said that everyone can get onto the net if they have a phone that supports it so you can buy ringtones, etc. The 5.00 plan adds tmobile email, tzones portal access, etc... for people with WAP phones.

She swore that the 10.00 plan included unlimited SMS and MMS (picturemail). I was about to jump and take it, but I questioned her repeatedly on this, and she asked her manager twice to confirm. She eventually agreed that she was mistaken, and that the 10.00 plan is the 5.00 plan with the addition of the service for accessing corporate exchange and Lotus servers. unlimited pix mail is another 4.99 and text sms is anothe 2.99 or 6.99 on top of the 10.00.

The 20.00 plan is for full internet access for people with PDAs and Laptops.

I signed up for the $4.99 MMS plan on each phone. You can get around this by attaching photos to regular email, but I'll give this a try for a month.

I'm also getting the insurance on both phones. I'd say its definitely worth it on a phone this expensive.

where do u get insurance?
    Good day, is the firmware update for t-moble users only for all others. I am on sprint! Take care and happy new year, Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    For those who are using T-mobile free WAP service or the $4.99 plan, can you still get streaming audio through shoutcast/ptunes?
    Lowly 270 user here. Pardon the interruption.

All of a sudden, Snappermail is not connecting over the concocted GPRS set up (about a week now). I can only get web pages (Blazer and Eudora) if I use a proxy.

I could tolerate that, except, I don't know how to set up a proxy for SnapperMail.

I'm in Maryland. Is anyone else having problems with the 4.99 service?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast