Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sorry for the double post, computer has been acting up, posted twice.

Anyway, I was saying that I'm tired of waiting for T-Mobile and their indefinite release date for the Treo 600. I am now considering AT&T and getting my Treo 600 now!

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Is T-Mobile worth the wait or should I go with AT&T? Pros? Cons?
    RayUSA

"The future will be better tomorrow."
    - Dan Quayle
    I was going to jump ship from AT&T and pay the $175 exit fee.

Now I'm beginning to see that they can offer more... one is their network coverage is great in big metro areas (I assume you're in SF).

Their data plans are not competative with TM or SPCS, but rumor is that they will offer cheaper plans.

AT&T Customer Service is 2nd to none!

I order the Treo 600 Friday and can't wait until it arrives.

T-Mobile's pros are unlimited data and Cather Zeta-Jones.

AT&T has the 850Mhz licenses, which I think are GSM in SF from some postings on cell phone boards. TM has 1900Mhz GSM, which AT&T has here in DC/MD/VA. 1900Mhz isn't as strong as 850Mz. Only AT&T and Cingular have 850Mhz, so I will stay for a while longer with AT&T to see if this is a big deal.

AT&T is the best I've dealt with and I'm going to stick with them for alteast 6 more months to see how their data plans and 850Mhz rollout go.

Hope this helps,
    Vikram
    Well, I know some have good experience with AT&T but I tried them about a year ago and they were horrible. The worst customer experience ever, took them a week to get my phone working properly. I didn't even know it until someone told me my number was "disconnected". Had to wait on the phone with them several times and each time was an hour wait. T-Mobile the worst wait I've had was like 3 minutes. Their coverage (in Oregon and northern Calif.) didnt' seem any different than T-Mobile where I went. Finally their plans both voice and data are more than T-Mobile. Also if you travel internationlly, T-Mobile is no extra charge (just the call charges) but you need them to turn international on. AT&T charges $3 a month in addition to the phone charges just to do this. Unlimited data on T-Mobile is $20, AT&T $80.

I bought a Cingular Treo 600 and it works great on T-Mobile. No reason to need to wait for a T-Mobile Treo, just get a Cingular one!

Originally posted by RayUSA
    Sorry for the double post, computer has been acting up, posted twice.

Anyway, I was saying that I'm tired of waiting for T-Mobile and their indefinite release date for the Treo 600. I am now considering AT&T and getting my Treo 600 now!

Does anyone have any suggestions or advice? Is T-Mobile worth the wait or should I go with AT&T? Pros? Cons?
    Originally posted by vikrampant
    1900Mhz isn't as strong as 850Mz.
    I don't know why so many people seem to believe this is true? The signal strength is the same for both of them, just in different bands. The 1900MHz PCS band has less interference and the 850MHz band has slightly better freznel zones over hilltops. Switching bands isn't going to help anyone. The only way to have a better network is by designing it better; better site placement, antenna orientation, cell density, spectrum and frequency planning and maintaining sufficient network capacity.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks guys! Your feedback is very helpful!

UNLIMITED DATA PLANS
    Is it really that much difference between AT&T($80) and T-Mobile($20) for unlimited data plans? That's pretty darn drastic!

UNLOCKED GSM TREO 600
    How do I buy an unlocked Cingular Treo 600 and use it on T-Mobile network? Would I have to commit to a 1-2 year Cingular contract, unlock the phone, and then start a T-Mobile contract as well? I'm with Sprint now and want to move over to GSM with the Treo 600.

Originally, I was planning to wait for T-Mobile to announce support for the Treo 600, buy it with activation discount (if any) and then start my account with my existing phone number. Now, I'm looking for other possible options.
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    > UNLIMITED DATA PLANS

AT&T's targetting more talkers, not data people (even though their EDGE network might change that)

T-Mobile realzies that unlimited data might get EVERYONE to pay $19.99 even though not everyone users $20 worth of data. I like this idea of thinking because you grab $20 from all.

AT&T only gets $7.99 (lowest rate) from those who want to sign up. It's a psychological thing. I'd pay $20 for unlimited even though I didn't use much data. Cause it's UNLIMITED!

> UNLOCKED GSM TREO 600

BUY THE CINGULAR ONE ... now the problem is that HS has the upgrade for $399 off their site. Not sure if you can still order one. If you're in a mad rush, then you can buy the coingular and ask T-Mobile for a SIM card. Take the SIM and drop it into the Treo 600 from Cingular.

I bought a AT&T locked phone cause I want support from AT&T and figured I don't travel internationally that much.

If I were you, I'd wait for T-Mobile and get their deals. But if you're confident with an unlocked phone, then you can get that one.

-- Vikram
    Originally posted by RMitch

I don't know why so many people seem to believe this is true? The signal strength is the same for both of them, just in different bands. The 1900MHz PCS band has less interference and the 850MHz band has slightly better freznel zones over hilltops. Switching bands isn't going to help anyone. The only way to have a better network is by designing it better; better site placement, antenna orientation, cell density, spectrum and frequency planning and maintaining sufficient network capacity.
    I stand corrected, I didn't know the real difference.

I just queryed stuff from tons of other postings and had my own conclusion.

So now I just hope AT&T does all the latter stuff you mention (site placement, planing, etc...)

-- Vikram
  8.    #8  
    Is the easiest way to get an unlocked GSM Treo 600 through Cingular?

I plan to travel some internationally so I definitely want to get an unlocked GSM. If AT&T's comes locked, perhaps T-Mobile's will too. Does anyone know anything about this?

Perhaps I will take your advice in getting just the unlocked Cingular GSM Treo 600 (no service) and getting a T-Mobile account with it. By the way, does that Cingular branded phone come with the Cingular logo on it or just plain?

Anyone here still waiting hoplessly for T-Mobile?
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    Is the easiest way to get an unlocked GSM Treo 600 through Cingular?

I plan to travel some internationally so I definitely want to get an unlocked GSM. If AT&T's comes locked, perhaps T-Mobile's will too. Does anyone know anything about this?

Perhaps I will take your advice in getting just the unlocked Cingular GSM Treo 600 (no service) and getting a T-Mobile account with it. By the way, does that Cingular branded phone come with the Cingular logo on it or just plain?

Anyone here still waiting hoplessly for T-Mobile?
    i stopped waiting for t-mo last week and ordered a cing one, but the t-mo 600 might be out b4 i get it.

reports are that cingular is this only one that come unlocked. t-mo and att come locked.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Can anyone tell what the data plans for GPRS are on ATT. I can not find it on there web site.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by hockey Dad
    Can anyone tell what the data plans for GPRS are on ATT. I can not find it on there web site.
    Yeah, AT&T's website sucks! It looks nice, but it's so hard to find the information you're looking for.
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    If it helps here's a link:
    http://www.attwireless.com/personal/...de/plans.jhtml

It took me awhile to find it.

Thanks for the link.
  14.    #14  
    It seems that AT&T and T-Mobile are fairly close as far as pricing plans go.

Both offer 600 anytime minutes, unlimited nights and weekends for $39.95

AT&T mMode data plan is $19.95 for 8MB/month. T-Mobile is $19.95 for unlimited data. That is the most significant difference. But how much are you really going to download per month?

Perhaps AT&T is the way to go for people who don't want to wait for T-Mobile anymore.

Anyone know if AT&T will unlock the phone for you if you request?
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
    It seems that AT&T and T-Mobile are fairly close as far as pricing plans go.

Anyone know if AT&T will unlock the phone for you if you request?
    AT&T does not unlock phones as a matter of policy.

And whoever said AT&T's customer service is 2nd to none must be smoking something. Average of 25-35 minutes on hold, rude, and clueless CSR's, who almost always put you on hold to investigate answers or do whatever it is they do while researching a simple answer. I had AT&T for a year, and couldn't run away fast enough. Simply put, they can't hold a candle to T-Mobile in terms of customer service.
    shf
    Originally posted by bcaslis
    Well, I know some have good experience with AT&T but I tried them about a year ago and they were horrible. The worst customer experience ever, took them a week to get my phone working properly. I didn't even know it until someone told me my number was "disconnected". Had to wait on the phone with them several times and each time was an hour wait.
    Yeah, but about a year ago was when GSM was still in its infancy in the US. I had those same probs getting my phone up and running. Had so many probs they eventually were forced to give me a month of service free (credit) because of the downtime I've had. But ultimately, it all worked out and I've had great reception since.

Mike
  17.    #17  
    I just spoke with someone at AT&T wireless store and he told me that you can get the AT&T GSM Treo 600 unlocked for around $25. This may not be through AT&T corporate, but there are many places you can bring your phone to get this done fairly cheap.
    RayUSA

- Dan Quayle
  18. ddr
    if i go the 8 klbites plan with att how much web surfing can i do. what i am looking to do is check my email non stop and look at the web
    ddr
    Don't believe this. AT&T WILL NOT unlock phones. Period. No AT&T store will. There might be a third party but I wouldn't count on it for a new model like the Treo 600.

I disagree with the quote above about AT&T problems at the beginning of GSM. Even once they get the knack of making phones work, it doesn't change the rudeness of the CSRs and the excessive wait times. Have one problem that you need solved by AT&T CS and you'll reget not going with T-Mobile.

You read about the legendary poor service of Sprint. But I tried Sprint for a month and they were worlds better than my experience with AT&T.

And once I canceled my AT&T contract (and paid their fees), they kept billing me for another six months. I lost track of how much time I spent on the phone trying to get them to fix this.

I just spoke with someone at AT&T wireless store and he told me that you can get the AT&T GSM Treo 600 unlocked for around $25. This may not be through AT&T corporate, but there are many places you can bring your phone to get this done fairly cheap.
    Originally posted by MikeD

Yeah, but about a year ago was when GSM was still in its infancy in the US. I had those same probs getting my phone up and running. Had so many probs they eventually were forced to give me a month of service free (credit) because of the downtime I've had. But ultimately, it all worked out and I've had great reception since.

Mike
    T-Mobile has been GSM in the US since '96 when they were originally VocieStream, Aerial, Omnipoint and Powertel.

Has anyone seen the news reports about ATTs GSM activation and access to customer accounts has been down for the last 3 weeks? That's convenient.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast