Global Posts
    5 Global Posts
    s anyone know how to send SMS to another country with Cingular???
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    With T-Mobile, you use the whole phone number. IE in the US, a T-Mobile number is something like +17039819999 (The voicemail number for the DC area...) +1 is the USA country code. You can find country code listing on the web. The other thing is to have the receiving phone send you an SMS to +1yourCingularnumber and see what happens. If you get the SMS, you'll also have their number...
    i think international SMS's are free to send (they are deducted from your bucket you pay for up front) but cost extra to receive. or maybe the other way around...
    I have T-Mobile and I know you have to have 'International Roaming' turned on inorder to SMS to international recepients. At least, that's what they told me when I got it turned on.

I'm not sure if Cingular requires something similar.

Good Luck!
    Originally posted by el_geto
    s anyone know how to send SMS to another country with Cingular???
    Sending to another country is just like sending nationally except you must use the + [country code] notation (like when you are dialing). So to send to Australia, you would SMS with a number like:

+61406254110

where +61 is the country code.

Cingular does not charge extra for sending or receiving international SMS (I send and receive them daily), nor internationally roaming SMSes. It counts against your normal SMS allotment.

BTW the "plus" sign can be tricky to find on some phones. On my Ericsson T39, I have to hold down the * key until it appears.
    Originally posted by robertruelan
    I have T-Mobile and I know you have to have 'International Roaming' turned on inorder to SMS to international recepients. At least, that's what they told me when I got it turned on.

I'm not sure if Cingular requires something similar.

Good Luck!
    You can send SMS to another country from T-Mo without enabling international roaming. You just can't send SMS *from* another country without enabling international roaming. On the other hand, international roaming is free on T-Mo, so it doesn't hurt to enable it...just in case.