1.    #1  
    I currently have a treo 270 on T-Mobile. I HATE T-Mobile. Coverage is poor, SMS server delay/drops during peak time is terrible, data service SLOW, customer service non-existent.

I plan on upgrading to Treo 600 and take my cell# to another carrier. Am and trying to decide on Spirnt or AT&T.

My priorities are:

1) Coverage
    2) Cost
    3) Data speed
    4) SMS

1) coverage...for me locally in D.C. area, Sprint and AT&T's GSM are about equal.

2) cost...easy for me to compare.

3) Data speed...I understand Sprint is suppose to be 30% faster than AT&T GSM. Is this correct? Any good test data available out on the net someone can give me a url to?

4) SMS. I use SMS for AOL IM. Great feature since the SMS server will buffer a message if I drop a cell. HOWEVER...Sprint does not offer SMS. Not a deal breaker...but a big negative Sprint need to get over.

So..based on the above...what would YOU recommend?

Tech Manager
    Hmmm...

...well, I have been with Sprint since 1999. Is not perfect, but it does almost everything I need. Sprint has been talking about SMS for a while now. As far as the data rate, I don't know about a good test, but you might want to try here. Maybe you can get someone from this area who has used both services.

cash70
    Me = Nokia 5170/Palm III > Kyocera 6035 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 755p > Treo Pro > Palm Pre

Wife = Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 755p > Palm Centro > Palm Pixi
    Originally posted by techmgr
    I currently have a treo 270 on T-Mobile. I HATE T-Mobile. Coverage is poor, SMS server delay/drops during peak time is terrible, data service SLOW, customer service non-existent.
    Actually, I would stay with T-Mobile.

1) ATT still has a smaller gsm network than T-Mobile, and the Treo won't roam on TDMA or AMPS. Sprint can roam on Verizon, which could be a benefit in your area.

2)T-Mobile has the best prices.

3)Data speeds will be at least twice as fast with the 600 on T-Mobile as the 270 was, due to the fact that the 600 has over twice as fast of a modem as the horribly slow one that never should have been put in the 270. T-Mobile and ATT will probably have about the same data speeds. Sprint is a bit faster. T-Mobile is te only one who offers a Speedwise proxy, which could greatly help browsing speeds from a PDA.

4)No SMS on Sprint. I'm pretty sure ATT doesn't off AOL IM over SMS. I have had great luck with T-Mobile's SMS.

5)T-Mobile has far better customer service that either ATT or Sprint, and I doubt you will find many people who will say otherwise. Just search through some of the posts on this site. There are far more issues with Sprint than anyone, and ATT isn't very good either.
    i've had both t-mo and sprint, and i'm in the dc/va/md area. sprint blows away t-mo's coverage in this area, and with their roaming agreement with verizon, you get verizon's digital coverage for no roaming charges if you're outside sprint's network.

t-mo's customer service is definitely better.

prices i'd give the nod to sprint. their vision plans are awesome, and i was lucky that my wife kept sprint (so i get to glom onto her $10/month vision plan). if you do go with at&t, make sure you can get to the email you want. the only way i can tap into my work email (long story) is through sprint's biz connect. it's totally worth the $5 a month. you don't even need the service running on your pc at all times -- others have confused that issue. anyway, good luck!
    Originally posted by RMitch

4)No SMS on Sprint. I'm pretty sure ATT doesn't off AOL IM over SMS. I have had great luck with T-Mobile's SMS.
    Actually, per http://www.mobile.att.net/aim, AT&T does offer AOL

I'm wrestlin with the same decision myself, living in MD, but traveling through VA a good deal. I've heard so many negatives about sprint, that I'm somewhat leery of them, and while it sounds like they'll be getting with the program soon enough as far as SMS goes, I'm thinking AT&T might be better. Sorry to hijack, I don't know much about data rates. Hopefully someone else will, I want to make my decision and get this phone already!