1.    #1  
    Just noticed that the ATT offer has appeared.
    Here is my question. Will the AT&T Treo sold through Handspring be unlocked? It seems that the version sold direct from AT&T is locked but how about the one from HAndspring? I can buy from ATT today according to the CSR but I want to take advantage of the $399 upgrade offer.
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by Treashz
    I can buy from ATT today according to the CSR.
    Is that for immediate delivery? The Handspring site says there is a 2-3 week delay in shipping if you order from them.
    She said that it is in stock at ATT and will ship immediately. The $399 upgrade deal from HS will take 2-3 weeks.
    According to HS- it's locked. They are telling me the internet speeds may be a little slower with unlocked cincular on ATTWS because the cingular model is optimized for cingular service. True?

I guess I will just get both and see what happens
    I ordered a Cingular on upgrade for $399 - be here around Xmas. I also ordered an ATT direct from ATT for $450 - be here Monday supposedly. I figure I'll use the one until the other shows then return the locked ATT version because their data plan flat out stinks.
    I ordered a Cingular on upgrade for $399 - be here around Xmas. I also ordered an ATT direct from ATT for $499 - be here Monday supposedly. I figure I'll use the one until the other shows then return the locked ATT version because their data plan flat out stinks.
    This is what I'd really like to know too!
    I have the unlocked cingular treo 600. I use it on Rogers ATT in Canada. The GPRS is a lot faster then the Treo 270. To say that the locked one will be better, well I am extremely satisfied with the unlocked speeds. Also with the unlocked phone if you swich carriers you just insert the sim card of the new carrier. If it is locked how can you switch carriers? You can't. or travel around the world with it.
    Yes I have to agree with you. The nice thing is I probably wont notice the speed difference and if Attws pisses me off I can transfer service without getting locked into a 2 year contact. Plus I don't plan on leaving the county but would be nice if I do. I think this whole "optimized service" business is a snow job. But that is just a guess on my part.
    The order system on handspring was posted today. If we order today, do you think there will be chance to get the T600 sooner than 2-3 weeks? From them? I could see how there's a backlog for the cingular units but these are under a new service provider, under new branding etc. These are essentially apart from the Cingular units right? I could see though after a few days of being able to order, there may be backlog...

What do you think?

Mike
    Originally posted by MikeD
    What do you think? Mike
    Based upon other people's experience with HS, I'd vote for buying it from ATT. All the phones I have bought from ATT have arrived when they promised. Since several people have ordered from ATT already and have been told the phone will arrive on Monday, we'll see in about 72 hours.
    Well they charged my account for the phone- So I am guessing it's on the way. Their good for nothing system is updating so I can't reconfirm anything else at this time.

Your are right MikePA- HS should learn from ATT on how to ship out phones- LOL. Now watch- I will be eating crow on Monday! One problem I did have was ATTWS said they did not currently offer insurance for this phone. What is also interesting is Att charges less for sales tax and they don't charge for the overnight. So really the price difference is $63. But you also have to extend your contract terms with ATT.

Off topic
    Waz up with all these Mike's- too many of us I guess. At one point I thought I was having a conversation with myself!
    Last edited by azmike; 11/21/2003 at 06:54 PM.
    Originally posted by azmike
    But you also have to extend your contract terms with ATT.
    I was also told the following on the ATTWS forum when I asked a question about upgrading my T68i to a T600...

They put some stipulations on that to, if you have mmode you have to change it to one of the mobile Internet plans. If you're going just data it has to be a 29.99 mobile Internet or higher, and if you're doing the data add on it has to be 12.99 mobile Internet or higher

So, to upgrade an existing ATT GSM/GPRS account;

1. Extend your contract terms.
    2. Switch to a mobile Internet plan

Hmm, I wonder if it'd be better to buy an unlocked Cingular T600 and simply use my existing SIM?
    Or, you can order from Handspring (AT&T version).

Mike D