1. 7ss
    Has anyone been able to use the Mergic VPN (or any other VPN) with Cingular's GPRS service? It appears they're blocking the required port but of course their tech support doesn't know anything about this. Anyone know of a way around this? Otherwise I'm definitely a T-mobile customer on Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by 7ss
    Has anyone been able to use the Mergic VPN (or any other VPN) with Cingular's GPRS service? It appears they're blocking the required port but of course their tech support doesn't know anything about this. Anyone know of a way around this? Otherwise I'm definitely a T-mobile customer on Monday.
    I was wondering the same thing. I am an IT guy who as 20 users with Treo 600s on Cingular and the question of VPN came up. I downloaded the Mergic client and tested it with help from our VPN guys. They claimed that Cingular is probably bot NATing the GRE packets that are needed.

I talked to my Cingular rep and he claims that this cannot be done with our GRPS service because we are using their WAP service...and would need to pay double the amount to get it to work (with their) ISP service..sounds like they are trying to rip us off!!

Anyone else?
    KeNNethX - The gUy iS oUt tHeRe!
    Try NOT using Cingular's WAP service. A while back I remember a german web application in which while looking at the configuration it was using the applications' proxy and not Cingular's and appeared to be work a little bit better.
    it's been about a year or so since I've been on Cingular, but I could never get this to work over gprs. I had the biggest mb plan they offered at the time (no unlimited plans were available) and subscribed to their isp.cingular service. no joy. I remember being able to make it work on the slower csd connection, but the EXACT same settings over gprs didn't connect. I'm nowhere near a vpn expert, but I did read somewhere that Cingular used NAT (whatever that is) and vpn just wasn't possible at the time. dunno if anything's changed since then.
    -- berto
    This really sucks. I just signed up with Cingular today with the intention of switching from AT&Tws. I have 14 days to re-neg on cingular and keep AT&T.
    Certicom has said they MIGHT release a Treo 600 version of movianVPN around August (can't wait) http://www.certicom.com/ finally giving me IPSec VPN that I've been craving since I got my Treo. If I can't use VPN on Cingular (and I can on AT&Tws) then I'm staying with AT&T.
    Using mediaworks on Cingular is a huge savings as long as I can get away with it but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot if VPN is a no-go. I think I'd rather pay AT&T's higher price for something that works for me.

So yes, the word is that Cingular does not allow you to use VPN?

One way to find out, I guess, is to use my Treo as a modem for my PC with PdaNet. If I can do VPN with my PC over Cingulars network (as I can on AT&T) then I guess that's definitive.

I'll let you know what I find out as soon as Cingular straightens out the GPRS problem on my new account.
    I found this thread on another forum that explains the problem:
    http://www.mpedia.com/vpn-s-and-dial...opic10008.html

Essentially, PPTP will not work, but IPSec will with Media Works in particular. I think Cingular has a different kind of data plan (higher priced) for laptops and that gives you a real IP instead of NAT, but I don't know.

Here's what I found in my tests:
    I'm in the unique situation of having an account on both AT&T wireless and Cingular temporarily. So I can compare both services.

Both Cingular and AT&T Wireless, same result as follows:
    Using PdaNet for Treo 600, I connected my PC to the internet through the Treo as a cellular modem (GPRS.) I then activated my Cisco VPN client on the PC and was able to establish a VPN link to my company.

Mergic VPN (PPTP VPN Clinet.)
    * AT&T Wireless: Mergic establishes a vpn link to the server and the server rejects it. This is expected since I'm attempting a PPTP to a IPSEC server. Essentially it was able to establish a link proving that it WORKS.
    * Cingular: Mergic attempts but comes back with an error "Possible firewall or NAT problem, unable to establish a link." This confirms that Cingular's NAT is causing the PPTP to be blocked as I expected from what I read on that other thread.

Conclusion: IPSec should work through Cingular provided "IPSec through NAT" is enabled on the VPN sever (again refer to the other thread.) PPTP will NOT work.
    Call Cingular and ask for a solution or go to AT&T wireless, they appearently either don't do NAT or do it in such a way that PPTP will work.

I'm awaing the day Movian VPN is supported on TREO. Since it's an IPSec Cisco compatible, it should work on Cingular much the same way my PC's client works.
    Have you guys tried switching to a VPN-enabled APN from Cingular? The service providers often have VPN compliant APNs to offer in their business channel that dont block packets or use NAT. Perhaps this would allow PPTP use?
    I know this thread is old, but I found it searching for the same problem.
    I also found the answer in this thread over at howard forums:

http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...RS+%2Bsettings

Look at the settings in the 8th post down. That AP worked for me!
    Carl