Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #2  
    And PalmOne is listed as ONE of the hardware providers! So the next gen EDGE Treo is probably already on the drawing board.
  2. #3  
    EDGE offers average data speeds between 100-130 kbps.
    The unlimited data plan is priced at $79.99 a month.
    I have the world in my Palm
  3. #4  
    Great! Now I can start obsessing over EDGE when I haven't even gotten my GSM 600...
  4. KKenna's Avatar
    Posts
    418 Posts
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    #5  
    I was wondering about their statement of speed. Sprint advertises speeds "up to" 144kbps. I have seen this speed for a milisecond or two on my Treo 600 (Never on my Treo 300).

    Does anyone know if the advertised speed is average or burst ?
  5. #6  
    Originally posted by KKenna
    I was wondering about their statement of speed. Sprint advertises speeds "up to" 144kbps. I have seen this speed for a milisecond or two on my Treo 600 (Never on my Treo 300).

    Does anyone know if the advertised speed is average or burst ?
    The advertised speed is 100Kbps average, with burst of up to 200Kbps. Which means you'll probably get 80Kbps-120Kbps, sometimes lower, occasionally higher, depending on proximity to towers, data traffic, atmospheric conditions, wall, buildings, towers, cross interference. etc. etc. etc.

    Now my question is, if you have watched the online promotion video for Edge on AT&T's website, you see someone in the promo using a Treo 600. What are the chances that the AT&T version of the Treo 600 had edge incorporated. Now that would be interesting!!
    shf
  6. #7  
    Originally posted by shfawaz

    Now my question is, if you have watched the online promotion video for Edge on AT&T's website, you see someone in the promo using a Treo 600. What are the chances that the AT&T version of the Treo 600 had edge incorporated. Now that would be interesting!!
    That would be great! BUT... at the end they also show some Tungsten (W?)

    Mike
  7. #8  
    Originally posted by MikeD


    That would be great! BUT... at the end they also show some Tungsten (W?)

    Mike
    Nothing says that it couldn't be an EDGE enhanced Tungsten W. Palm worked closesly with AT&T on this product, so it would be no surprise that the Tungsten W would be EDGE ready.

    Ya just never know!
    shf
  8. #9  
    So these phones don't have to list it in their specs that they're EDGE ready? Just wondering...

    Mike
  9. #10  
    Originally posted by MikeD
    So these phones don't have to list it in their specs that they're EDGE ready? Just wondering...

    Mike
    These could be updated models that are coming soon, or are being revamped to become EDGE compatible. I can't imagine AT&T launching something big like EDGE and not have several manufacturers ready with hardware that can take advantage of the new network. With all the trials they had going on, PalmOne must have been aware that EDGE in the Tungsten W and Treo 600 would be required, and planned accordingly. As far as I'm concerned, with the Treo 600 now shipping, the Tungsten W's days may be numbered, and if so, the Treo 600 must be ready to step up to the plate.

    Then again, who knows what these wireless companies are thinking.
    shf
  10. jweng's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    #11  
    I posted in the forum before asking about EDGE and Treo 600. Now, the theoretical speed of EDGE is up to 384 kb/s so it is possible for average speed to be around 110-140 kb/s.

    While this is exciting news, it is also true that Treo 600 uses the chipset that only works with GSM/GPRS. They will need to incorporate a new chipset in there to make it work. I do hope that they have it in the works but just can't see them selling it soon. I hope I am wrong on that... maybe Treo 650 for EDGE??

Posting Permissions