1.    #1  
    Hope this is an appropriate question -- I see that people get pissed when they're not in the right place...

I don't have any sort of Treo yet, just a Motorola T722i and an old Palm. The Treo 600 is making my mouth water, though, and I'm planning on getting one (if it's ever available). Thing is, I don't want to pay $700.

My question is this: I know someone who would like my phone if I get rid of it. If I purchase the Treo and a plan, can I just switch the SIM cards and then order data service for my number?

Stupid question?
    WRONG FORUM!!! - - no, just kidding.

You can just switch sim cards from phone to phone without any problems. It works the same with the Treo 600 (gsm version).

Realize that by starting a new plan, you will be getting a new SIM card, and new phone number. Make sure you don't have to pay an "early termination fee" if you stop your current plan. Also, most carriers won't treat you as a new customer unless you haven't ever been with them before.

If you want to keep your same provider and same phone number, you need to pay the full price (too much, IMHO), or buy a cheap Treo 180, 270, or 300 and save a lot of money. You can then use that serial number on the old Treo to upgrade for $399. (For example, I have two extra broken Treo 180's which someone could buy and use the serial numbers.)

There are threads here on the ethics of buying and selling just serial numbers without the actual devices - I won't get into that discussion here.

By the way, ask whatever questions you want here at Treocentral, "stupid or not" - and just put the question in the forum you think is best. If someone responds rudely to you, just realize that in any large group, there are "fruitcakes" who should be ignored. For some reason, there are more fruitcakes around here these days. Not sure why....
    Originally posted by heberman
    For some reason, there are more fruitcakes around here these days. Not sure why....
    because it is getting close to x-mas?

Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by heberman
    WRONG FORUM!!! - - no, just kidding.

You can just switch sim cards from phone to phone without any problems. It works the same with the Treo 600 (gsm version).

Realize that by starting a new plan, you will be getting a new SIM card, and new phone number.
    Thanks for the response. I think this might work out; since my friend actually needs a plan as well as a phone (he's leaving Sprint after many years of bad CS), I'll give him the money to buy the Treo and he'll have the plan and phone he needs, and I'll have my new toy (er, productivity enhancer).