1.    #1  
    Does anyone out there know if the Treo 600 from Cingular comes locked to the Cingular network?

..... and if comes locked, does anyone know whether it's possible to unlock the 600 from the Cingular network?

Thanks!
    As you no doubt are aware from the postings here, noone has any experience with GSM T600s on Cingular. If history is of any help. my T180 and T270 (Cingular) had their proprietary Blazer browser (home page set to Cingular) but were not locked and I could use them in other countries with an appropriate SIM card. We'll have to see...
    Good news, I just got my Cingular Treo 600 (without plan), I put my ATT&W simcard and everything worked right away.
    - I can make calls
    - I can connect to the Internet. I guess (I am sure now) my GPRS/Internet settings was stored in my SIM card. I using SonyEricsson T68i and had the dataplan.
    - Even my Voicemail and CustCare number was on my favorites .

SIM cards are GREAT!

BTW, I am not sure that if you buy the Treo 600 from ATTW you will get it unlocked. ATTW is pretty "old fashioned" on this subject (they still think that it is smart to lock their customers by their devices . Moreover, it does not seem that you can take a Treo 600 from ATTW without a plan. The reason I am still on ATTW is because the reception is better and that they have better International roaming plans.

Hope this help,

Jeremy,
    Originally posted by jeremychone
    The reason I am still on ATTW is because the reception is better and that they have better International roaming plans.

Hope this help,

Jeremy,
    Hey Jeremy, why do you use AT&T international roaming? Why not buy a SIM card of whatever country you're in? If you travel to a few countries the most, just keep those prepaid SIM cards, I know in Europe they don't expire until like 6 months after you first use them. I'm sure even if you did prepaid it would be less exspensive that ATT roaming. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper...Just change your voicemail before you leave and say 'call me at this number'....
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Originally posted by ziphem

Hey Jeremy, why do you use AT&T international roaming? Why not buy a SIM card of whatever country you're in? If you travel to a few countries the most, just keep those prepaid SIM cards, I know in Europe they don't expire until like 6 months after you first use them. I'm sure even if you did prepaid it would be less exspensive that ATT roaming. It's also a heck of a lot cheaper...Just change your voicemail before you leave and say 'call me at this number'....
    Can you please direct me to a site where I can purchase these cards? Thanks!!

Kirby
    Don't waste your money looking for SIMS here in the US. You can find them but it's a waste of $$$$

The pre-paid SIMS are EASY to come by in Europe. Just go to any "Tobacco Shop" (like a 7-11) or to any phone shop and buy one there... I buy mine right from the shop in the airport! I have SIMS from O2, Vodafone, & SFR.

If you buy a few "top-up" cards you can add a few dollars to the SIM every six months and keep your SIM active for years, even from the USA.

Most pre-paid SIMS allow for free incomming calls. I travel to the U.K. alot and I just call my wife and ask her to call me right back on my cell. We have cheep AT&T calling to western Europe so this is by far the least expensive way to keep in touch across the "pond". This is even cheper than pay phones, calling cards, and the hotel phones!

Good luck!

Acts 8:13
    Next Post
    Last edited by ziphem; 11/26/2003 at 03:50 AM.
    A friend of mine told me that in Spain they (I think Vodafone, but maybe all the majors down there) were going to cut the life of the SIM cards from 6 months to 3 months. She said this once, I never really asked about this again. Do you know if this is true? I hestitiate to ask because my card is like 5 months and 25 days old as of this week, so...I also didn't know I could keep it active from here. Do I just need to call it? I have no more $ on the SIM card, but I guess it will just charge the caller then, right? I don't need money on it?

I know calling a European cell phone from the US is murder - calling a landline can be around 7-10 cents, but calling the cell can be from 30 to 40 cents, which really hurts after a while...
    A pre-paid SIM only costs about 35 Euro or so... It usually comes with 10 Euro worth of call time... You can buy top up cards in 10, 25, 50 Euro amounts. This is cheep enough for me to buy a new SIM if mine expires... But I just buy several 10 euro cards and bring them home. Some providers even let me top-up over the web! Just keep the SIM topped-up and the number will not expire...

As far as calling the cell phone from the USA: AT&T (home phone/long distance carrrier) has no idea that the number is a cell or land line... I just signed up for AT&T's $5.00 per month plan that reduces my Western Europe calls to someting like 7 cents per minute... With free incoming calls to my cell I get 7 cent calls when my wife calls from our home number!

Scott
    John 3:16
    Originally posted by ziphem

Yes, you are right. This is the reason I paid the extra $$ to have my unlock. However, when I am in Europe, I also like to have my US phone on (in this case I will use my old Sony Ericsson), in case someone does not know my temporary phone number. I will check with ATTW about the Call forwarding functionality & cost.
    GOOD NEWS!

I just spoke with a guy from http://www.cellunlocker.com

He claims he can unlock the Treo 600s!

I am having mine done soon.
    Last edited by keefe007; 12/12/2003 at 11:55 PM.
    -- http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...threadid=43827

See the third post in this thread.