1.    #1  
    I can not always connect to the Orange GPRS service on my Treo 600. Does anyone else have similar problems? I can't figure out if it is a problem with Orange or if there is a conflict with any of my 3 party apps. Just did a hard reset and I still can not connect. Any help appreciated. Thanks.
  2. pls
    We have several Treo 600 in our office and do have intermittent problems with the Orange GPRS service. Sometimes the phone will almost instantly log on and check mail. On one phone in particular it spends an age "Dialling up Orange GPRS" and never logging on. A reset fixes it.
    We have not had them long enough to compare and work out if there is a particular problem with one or more phones or if it is an Orange issue.
  3.    #3  
    Just tried a soft reset and it works too. What a pain. Completely destroys the concept of having a mail program go and fetch e-mail at a given interval if you have to do a soft reset 50% of the time. Please post here if you discover any software conflicts or you think it is a problem with Orange. Thanks.
    Which APN and web/wap browser are you using?
    I had big problems for a while and I think they were due to TrafficStat. Since removing this app I have, touch wood, had no real connection problems at all. The Treo connects first time every time and hasn't yet dropped a connection during active use. Occassionally (perhaps four times in the week I've had the T600) the GPRS connection is dropped when I'm not using it. It's always reconnects on demand though so this is no problem at all. I'm using the 'orangeinternet' APN and Blazer 3.0 and thus far I've used GPRS in Norwich and Birmingham (and a few points in between).

Incidently, when connected via GPRS I see two green arrows above the signal strength icons. I've just noticed that Orange manual says these indicate active use of a dial-up (CSD) connection. Does anyone else see this? I'm pretty sure I am using GPRS because 1) that's what Network Preferences says, 2) I can make and receive calls when connected, 3) the connection time isn't coming off my inclusive minutes.
  6.    #6  
    My APN is orangeinternet and I am also using Blazer 3.0. This is the default for the Orange Treo 600 phones I think. I also see the 2 green arrows when I am connected to GPRS. So far, no problem with my connection dropping but as i said, on many occasions I am not able to connect. A soft reset fixed this yesterday. I even did a hard reset yesterday morning and immediatly tried to connect. No success. This makes me think it is a problem with Orange/Treo 600 config. as no 3rd party apps where installed. Hope we can get to the bottom of this....
  7. pls
    I'm getting my own Treo in the next few days so I can check how it works compared to our other ones.
    They are all standard and use the default GPRS/mail/web settings.
    Once a connection has been made the green arrows stay on constantly after collecting mail.
    I assume you can still make and receive calls while the green arrows are showing an active connection and that it's not costing anything if you are not actually sending/receiving data.
    Is there a way to force the Treo to drop the GPRS connection once you have finished browsing/emailing ?
    I think it is likely an Orange/treo configuration problem.
    I'm a bit confused about those.

According to the manual that came with the Orange Treo, a GPRS data connection has a solid black triangle behind the signal strength indicators. The manual describes this as "You are connected to a GPRS network and a data session is active..."

However, the when the Orange Treo goes online, it has those two green arrows, which according to the manual mean "you are actively using a dial up connection."

Does this mean that we aren't actually using GPRS? Does that mean I'm getting charged per minute!

Can anyone shed some light on this, or tell me what number to dial to speak to someone at Orange?

Thanks.
    I've spent about 1 hour on the phone to Orange on this subject. The green lights mean it's a dial up connection but the first 200 mins of connection are free anyway, or so the guy told me. They haven't fixed it yet and are going to call back tomorrow, they told me they've had probs with GPRS on the treo and they think it's something to do with the phone not recognising the settings. Will let you know asap - they've already provided the network settings for me so I have these. The guy has asked me to switch it off for 3 hours and they're going to try a reset at their end so should know tomorrow.
    Originally posted by murrayalex
    I've spent about 1 hour on the phone to Orange on this subject. The green lights mean it's a dial up connection but the first 200 mins of connection are free anyway, or so the guy told me.
    This directly contradicts what I was told be Orange this afternoon and I'm not sure that it really makes much sense. For reasons I've given above and in another thread:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...-t39503/s.html

it seems green arrows = GPRS, black arrows = dial-up. I could be wrong though!

Originally posted by murrayalex
    They haven't fixed it yet and are going to call back tomorrow, they told me they've had probs with GPRS on the treo and they think it's something to do with the phone not recognising the settings. Will let you know asap - they've already provided the network settings for me so I have these. The guy has asked me to switch it off for 3 hours and they're going to try a reset at their end so should know tomorrow.
    Please do let us know the outcome of this. Also, any chance you could share the network settings you've been sent? Do these differ from those preconfigured?
    hopefully I am wrong and the green lights mean GPRS. The guy from Orange phone d me back & gave me settings for my email account which don't work - server error message comes up now - so I won't be doing anyone a favour passing those on. They're going to call back tomorrow as they have a treo in the office "for evaluation" to try and sort the GPRS thing out.
    Incidentally, the short orange pdf manual that comes with the Treo cd, on page 11 under the email section states that the smtp server is orangemail.ch. The Orange guy told me this is wrong - if that's wrong then hopefully the othr manual is wrong too. Will let you know tomorrow - again !
    ...and another thing..how do you disconnect once signed on..on my teo 180 the email programme had a disconnect option in the menu...this programme doesn't
    It's an error in the manual. Green arrows = GPRS. If you don't believe me:

-the Orange France technical support (not the first line Customer Service Representative) told me
    -Handspring told me
    -it's using the Orange GPRS connection. Check the settings in Preferences/Network, you'll see. If you really want proof, then change some of the settings of the GPRS connection and it will fail.
    -if it were dial up it would never connect in a split second (which it does on mine)
    -if it were dial up i wouldn't be able to receive calls in the middle of a data transaction (such as browsing the web and downloading email)

I haven't had any problems with GPRS connections here in France. I did have some problems last week in Switzerland, where it would show green arrows but I couldn't access anything. Had to soft reset to make it work.

There's absolutely no need to disconnect your GPRS once it is up and running. Actually, I'm using TreoHelper and it builds the GPRS connection immediately after the phone has found a network. Having the connection up always saves you the wait for the connection when you need it and you don't pay anything for it. Disconnecting doesn't have any advantages (at least I can't think of any).