1.    #1  
    The Treo 600 is a class 10 GPRS device, which means it can use more channels to download data, which in turn would mean faster rates. Does anyone know if T-Mobile (or other US GSM providers) do provide more channels to devices that can handle them or are they limited in that regard?

Thanks in advance.
    <bump>
    I'd allso be interested in knowing how well tmobile supports the addition capabilities of the 600's class 10 support.

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

The Treo 180/270 were, I believe, class two devices maxing out at about 26Kbps maximum receive, but the 600 should theoretically be capable of 48Kbps if configured for maximum receive.

Anyone?
    Nice People Suck Less.
    T-Mobile's GPRS will support up to at least 4 channels, or about 56k data. So this will be true for the Treo 600 as well. I'm not sure if the radio is capable of anything more. If it can do simultaneous data and voice, then you should be able to talk and browse the web at the same time. It should definitely be possible to talk and text message at the same time.
    I'm not sure what class the sidekick is, but you can not browse the web or send a sms while on the phone. I'm not sure if this is a hardware or network issue.
  5.    #5  
    Great news to be able to use 4 slots!! This means it should be faster than the 270 and 180!

On my 270 I can send SMS while talking. But you can't go n the net while talking. Most phones can't. I think you need a Type 2 device (or something like that), and I've heard that these pretty much don't exist as consumer products.
    Originally posted by silverado
    On my 270 I can send SMS while talking. But you can't go n the net while talking. Most phones can't. I think you need a Type 2 device (or something like that), and I've heard that these pretty much don't exist as consumer products.
    So can we talk and browse with the 600? Is it a type 2 device?

ajay
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by bigdaddyajay

So can we talk and browse with the 600? Is it a type 2 device?

ajay
    No.

The multiple slots are used for downloading data, which leads to faster data transfer rates. Type and Class are different concepts. The class of the device affects it's data rates, the type affects whether simultaneous data and voice can be used.

No.
    on my bberry 7230 i can talk and send sms at same time.
    if im on the net and a call comes in it asks me to answer call
    i never tried to get on net when on the phone first, i will try though

No.

The multiple slots are used for downloading data, which leads to faster data transfer rates. Type and Class are different concepts. The class of the device affects it's data rates, the type affects whether simultaneous data and voice can be used.
    They are both part of the Class. It just depends on if the phone is Class 10-A or 10-B. With Class A you can browse the web and talk on the phone at the same time. With Class B, if you are browsing the web it will still let the call through for you to answer, but you can't browse and talk at the same time. There are almost no Class C, where you can only do one or the other; if you browse the web the phone can't ring or dial, and if you are switched to the phone function, you can't do anything with gprs.

I know the class 10 can do 1 uplink and 4 downlink, or 2 uplink and 3 downlink. A 4+1 radio is twice as fast as the Treo 270 and 180 in any case. I just never saw if it was class A or B. It will probably be class B, considereing how rare class A are, but I can hope.
    Wouldn't the FCC site (Treo 600) indicate the class?
    I remember reading in another post that the treo 600 is a class B device.
    Originally posted by elysian9
    Wouldn't the FCC site (Treo 600) indicate the class?
    FCC Class and GSM Class are two completely different things. One has nothing to do with the other.

FCC Class B devices are consumer-grade devices that can be jammed or otherwise controlled by the government. So you will never see a Class A device (as rated by the FCC). Those are reserved for military use.

GSM Class B devices are capable of voice and data (but not at the same time). While using data, if a phone call comes in, the data stream is temporarily suspended while the phone call is happening. Once the phone call ends, the data stream continues. (Keep in mind this has nothing to do with SMS, which can occur while on a voice call.)

GSM Class A allows both voice and data to occur simultaneously.

There are no carrier networks in North America that support GSM Class A devices, so you won't even see them in that market. Major network upgrades would have to occur to even begin to support it.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Is it possible that since the Treo 600 has the ability to use significantly more bandwidth (more download slots), that T-Mo is waiting until number portability takes effect (or is delayed again) to determine whether they can charge a premium for this additonal capability?
    Consider that the first US carrier to support it charges for bandwidth by the Kb.

Rusty J
    Treo 270 (AT&T for now...)
    Treo 90
    Micro Innovatons/PocketTop KB