1.    #1  
    Anyone had a chance to test GPRS speeds with Bmeter yet? I'd like to hear some actual results from Europe or US pre-production before making my CDMA / GSM decision.
    Thanks!
    Sorta kinda hard to do since there are no GPS/GPRS units out yet...
    i can't give you number proof, but there is no comparison. no one has ever argued that there is any competition between sprint's vision and gprs speeds.

on average using data cards from tmobile and sprint on different bandwidth tests, tmobile's gprs was rated in the neighborhood of a 19.2-20k connection. vision rated on every test in the neighborhood of 90-100k (or almost a dual channel ISDN connection). this was sustained downloads. burst speeds are usually slower and ping times were high so transitions between web pages are a bit slow.

but overall, if the primary need is data usage for this 600 and if sprint has descent phone coverage I just can't see how anyone would consider gsm. the only way is if you live in an area that has poor sprint coverage.
  4. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I am browsing this site with a xda pocket pc on t-mobile and a sprint tro 600. When I click on this thread at the same time on both devices it pulls this thread up at the same time - and both are reasonably fast. I have done this side-by-side test on other sites and I don't experience much difference. Certainly nothing close to the order of magnitude in your note.

It seems actual speeds or typical browsing patterns are different than tests in the lab? Sometimes the t-mo xda was actually slightly faster.

I have no bias towards either sprint or t-mo....just looking for the best combo of services.
    www.vijaygill.com/wd.txt

I am posting this on verizons EV-DO network and I consistently get 400 kbps on downloads using compressed files.

There is no comparison between 1xRTT/EVDO and gprs. NONE.

I guess there is a point that both allow you to connect to the internet, but thats about IT.

/v
    Originally posted by BD1
    I am browsing this site with a xda pocket pc on t-mobile and a sprint tro 600. When I click on this thread at the same time on both devices it pulls this thread up at the same time - and both are reasonably fast.
    are you sure you've tested on sites that you've never visted before on either device? the pocket pc could have the sites cached.
    vgill - nice read man. good info - appreciate it. Now, since you are having so much fun testing(!!!!), would you go get T-Mob and compare ATT and T-Mob GPRS and see if similar and if related to GPRS or their different company networks..

nevertheless... you did great -- many thanks!
  8. BD1
    Global Posts
    231 Global Posts
    I am just an end user and am only comparing a couple of pda phones. I don't think the treo 600 is going to run of the Verizon rtxwhatever network. Based on my side-by-side comparison of the the sprint treo and a t-mobile xda I think the sprint cdma and t-mobile data/web experience will be about the same in real life (at least in my area).
    Last edited by BD1; 10/12/2003 at 09:56 PM.
    I have used both T-mobie GPRS and Sprint CDMA2000. I often get 150K with Sprint and get 45K with T-mobile. Overall Sprint is faster but T-mobile seems more stable. T-mobile's bluetooth phones weighs out Sprint's speed for convenience. However, T-mobile's coverage is not good and I cannot do anything (such as Remote Desktop) other than basic web and email.
    I figured it out. I had to add a new data account to use internet3.voicestream.com which allows all ports. The deafult is internet2.voicestream.com which is mainly for dialup but blocks most ports. The lowest level is the wap.voicestream.com which is mainly for on-phone wap. In the settings, you can also tweaking between speed and reliability.
    Originally posted by Fixup
    I figured it out. I had to add a new data account to use internet3.voicestream.com which allows all ports. The deafult is internet2.voicestream.com which is mainly for dialup but blocks most ports. The lowest level is the wap.voicestream.com which is mainly for on-phone wap. In the settings, you can also tweaking between speed and reliability.
    I had to use internet3.t-mobile.com to use a VPN connection back to my office. Just web browsing works on either, but it seems to work better on internet2. It may be just me though.
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Since we are comparing GPRS to Sprint CDMA2000 (1XRTT), I know that the theoretical speed of GPRS cannot compare to CDMA2000. But with all the GSM service providers upgrading to EDGE, I do think that eventually the speed on GSM network will be faster.

I do have a question on whether the Treo 600 will allow for a software upgrade to EDGE network when it's available. Can you imagine having DSL speed with Treo 600?? It will be awesome!!
    Originally posted by jweng
    Since we are comparing GPRS to Sprint CDMA2000 (1XRTT), I know that the theoretical speed of GPRS cannot compare to CDMA2000. But with all the GSM service providers upgrading to EDGE, I do think that eventually the speed on GSM network will be faster.

I do have a question on whether the Treo 600 will allow for a software upgrade to EDGE network when it's available. Can you imagine having DSL speed with Treo 600?? It will be awesome!!
    Sorry, but that's not going to happen. The radio unit itself has to support EDGE. The radio units in the GSM Treo 600 are not EDGE-compatible. A software upgrade won't fix that.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.