1.    #1  
    I'm with T-Mobile. They currently only support 1900 Mhz in the USA. If I buy a T600 that is quad-band...would it use 850Mhz towers even if they weren't T-Mobiles or do I need to use a Cingular (in my area) SIM to get access to those towers?
    Since most of the GSM carriers in the U.S. have roaming agreements with each other, it should work.
    --Inspector Gadget

"Go Go Gadget Pre!!"
    Palm Pre on Sprint

Palm V--> Palm IIIc--> Visor Prism--> Visor Phone--> Treo 270--> Treo 600--> Treo 650-->
    Treo 700wx--> HTC Touch Diamond--> Palm Pre & HTC EVO 4G.
    The quad band GSM T600 would preferentially seek the Tmobile which you are signed up with. I would be able to roam on Cingular's and ATT wireless' system now that they have roaming aggreements.
    Originally posted by jakilw
    The quad band GSM T600 would preferentially seek the Tmobile which you are signed up with. I would be able to roam on Cingular's and ATT wireless' system now that they have roaming aggreements.
    You can roam on 850MHz, but neither Cingular or ATT really use the 850 network for GSM anywhere. They use the 1900 for GSM, and have pushed almost all of their TDMA and AMPS onto the 850 band. ATT has only a few cities where they don't have any PCS spectrum that they use 850 for GSM, and I don't think Cingular has any. Cingular doesn't cover much of the country with GSM compared to T-Mobile and ATT. Cingular and ATT hardly even sell any GSM phones that use the 850 band.
    "You can roam on 850MHz, but neither Cingular or ATT really use the 850 network for GSM anywhere. They use the 1900 for GSM, and have pushed almost all of their TDMA and AMPS onto the 850 band. ATT has only a few cities where they don't have any PCS spectrum that they use 850 for GSM, and I don't think Cingular has any. Cingular doesn't cover much of the country with GSM compared to T-Mobile and ATT. Cingular and ATT hardly even sell any GSM phones that use the 850 band."

While some of this may be true. I disagree with most.

"You can roam on 850MHz, but neither Cingular or ATT really use the 850 network for GSM anywhere."

The Portland, OR area is due to be overlaid with the 850 mHz GSM frequency due to holes in the GSM 1900 frequency. This is from replacing the TDMA cannisters with the 1900 GSM and having dead spots between them. Once the 850 mHz rolls out, this will be significantly better.

"Cingular and ATT hardly even sell any GSM phones that use the 850 band."

I disagree as well. Some of the hottest sellers in ATTWS stores are the Nokia and Siemens models with 850 mHz frequency. If you look, they no longer have the "world phone" classification.

Maybe I've overemphasized the importance of the 850 mHz frequency, but it matters to me in the Portland, OR market.
    Two points:

A Cingular rep at the Boston Mission Possible even told me that they use 850 MHz in the Boston area.

Roaming doesn't occur everywhere, but rather on a region by region basis. For example, I can not make my T-Mobile Treo 270 get on the AT&T network here in Boston; it is not allowed. This would be useful for me in places in this area where T-Mobile coverage is very weak but where AT&T's works. They only allow roaming in whole regions in which a carrier doesn't have coverage at all.
    Where is it possible to find the 850 MHZ footprint that T-Mobile can roam on? I guess if I understand this correctly, this is AT&T TDMA footprint. If so, I would expect that to be significant.

Any insights would be appreciated
    Will the T600 work on the 850mhz sysytem. I go to Canada and use a Rogers ATT sim card and they are on 850MHZ.
    Still unclear to me if the quad band will allow the T-Mobile user to have greater coverage. Any knowledgable people fill in the holes.
    Not true... Cingular's GSM network in South Florida is 100% 850...
    I am really crossing my fingers on this issue. Getting 850Mhz service here would be the greatest. I have a t-mobile account. Does anyone know if I would be charged extra for roaming onto Cingular, and if so, is there a flat-rate fee I can get?
    I just received my Cingular GSM Treo 600, to use with my T-Mobile SIM. It picks up T-Mobile, AT&T, and Cingular towers! However, it only works on T-Mobile which is the worst of the lot, reception-wise. I called T-Mobile and they told me they don't have a roaming agreement here in Daytona Beach. So, I'm screwed. The Cingular signal is presumably 850MHz here, and appears to be much stronger but it fails whenever I select it.
    With the Treo 600 does anyone notice a notable coverage difference from the 270 with the addition of 850 support ?