Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've some questions about getting Internet on a cellphone. I'm interested in getting the Treo 600 when it comes out, and I'd like to know more. Kindly point me to a FAQ if one exists!

1) CDMA, GSM, and GPRS. Are these just different ways of getting IP traffic to/from a particular carrier's line of Internet-enabled phones? It seems that Sprint uses CDMA, and T-Mobile / Cingular / AT&T / Fido use GPRS, and Orange uses GSM (not sure about this one)?

The predominate differences as I understand them are as follows.

Speed: while CDMA normally peaks around ~10.508 KB/sec, GSM peaks at ~2.3 KB/sec. As a comparison, a 56K modem averages around 5 KB/sec.

Availability: CDMA is only available in the USA (?). If you travel to Europe, for example, you'd best have GPRS or GSM.

Cost: Pricing varies widely, of course. This isn't of interest to me because I'll probably just take the only thing available in my area.

2) What's CSD? Sounds like dial-up Internet, only the phone call goes over your cell phone (and counts as airtime) and there is no MO/DEM process. I have some questions about CSD.

a) Can I use CSD as a safety? For example, if I am not in range of a data carrier for my phone (that would be a CDMA, GSM, or GPRS provider) but I DO have signal strength, then I can always fire up an Internet connection via CSD?

b) Is the transport (CSD vs GSM/CDMA/GPRS) abstracted from Palm OS's Netlib? In other words, would my email / chat / browser care whether I got my IP's over CSD or GSM/CDMA/GPRS? Or worse yet, do some apps work only with CSD, and others only with GSM/CDMA/GPRS?

c) So do I have to have a pre-existing ISP account to use CSD? Otherwise, to what ISP am I dialing-up? Over whose SMTP server do my outbound emails travel on a CSD connection, since nobody allows relaying anymore?

Gee that does it for now. Aside from having a desktop with Internet and setting up an IrDA / Bluetooth / Null modem serial connection to the phone, are there any other means of getting Internet on to a cellphone that I've missed?

Thanks very much!
    -Jeff
    Originally posted by jishaq
    1) CDMA, GSM, and GPRS. Are these just different ways of getting IP traffic to/from a particular carrier's line of Internet-enabled phones?
    CDMA and GSM are different transmission standards for cellular communications. They are Very different. They are what really transmit (I'm forgetting the OSI-model) any IP or Voice traffic from the phone over the air to the cell tower.
    2) What's CSD? Sounds like dial-up Internet, only the phone call goes over your cell phone (and counts as airtime) and there is no MO/DEM process.
    a) Can I use CSD as a safety? For example, if I am not in range of a data carrier for my phone (that would be a CDMA, GSM, or GPRS provider) but I DO have signal strength, then I can always fire up an Internet connection via CSD?
    b) Is the transport (CSD vs GSM/CDMA/GPRS) abstracted from Palm OS's Netlib? In other words, would my email / chat / browser care whether I got my IP's over CSD or GSM/CDMA/GPRS? Or worse yet, do some apps work only with CSD, and others only with GSM/CDMA/GPRS?
    Circut-Switched Data is akin to a standard dialup situation. It is (at least, for GSM. Never used a CDMA Treo) completely abstracted from any NetLib program. You can fire up a CSD connection at any time, except durring a voice call.
    c) So do I have to have a pre-existing ISP account to use CSD? Otherwise, to what ISP am I dialing-up? Over whose SMTP server do my outbound emails travel on a CSD connection, since nobody allows relaying anymore?
    It depends on your providor; When T-Mobile used to be VoiceStream, they used to have CSD dial up number, but no longer. They offer a SMTP server-service so you can send mail.

Gee that does it for now. Aside from having a desktop with Internet and setting up an IrDA / Bluetooth / Null modem serial connection to the phone, are there any other means of getting Internet on to a cellphone that I've missed?
    I'm a little confused..A Treo (the thing this site talks about quite often..) has tons of Internet apps that ship and can be installed on it. You can use third-party programs with your hotsync cables to connect a Treo to a desktop or laptop computer to let those computers use your Treo's wireless data connection.

Hope this helps..
    -- Go Illini!
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Thanks, Chris!

-Jeff