1.    #1  
    Hi all, I just got a treo 270, and I'm trying to access internet features with Fido. I (think) I read all the all of the posts related to this and tried.

I got fido to enable GPRS
    I ran the patches
    I input the settings:
    name: fido
    pass: fido
    APN : wap.fido.ca

when I'm in the network preferences, I click on the connect button, after about 30 sec, it signs on, establishes a connection.. I get a reverse triangle, with 3-4 signal strenght....

I thought I was set, but when I launch Blazer, it says cant load page try again later, let me tell you I tryed again later....

does anyone have any idea on what I need to do?
    there are barely in settings in blazer. and fido doesnt support this phone so the tech support staff is clueless.

thanks all
    Hi Slider,

I use both Fido and Rogers on my Treo. As per my understanding With Rogers all this settings are pre-configured but since Fido is not one of the approved service provider from Handspring thus its settings are not burnt into the ROM. You have to manually configer it.

You have correct network settings except the APN, it should be: internet.fido.ca

You may also want to confirm with Fido guys to have your account provisioned with APN set as: internet.fido.ca

Treo is GPRS capable and thus the APN is not the same as that for other WAP phones.

Never-the-less, with internet.fido.ca apn you will still be able to browse wap sites.

Regards.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the reply, Xenoepist

Actually I called Fido, and they explained to me, that there are 2 networks, one for WAP and the other for Internet... both are GPRS, the thing is to use the Internet browsing feature, you have to get a monthly plan, and for those who have prepaid services (like me) , only have access to the WAP service. I dont use it enough to get a monthly plan, so I'm stuck with WAP.

they charge by the minute no matter how much data you transfer... anyway these are the settings they gave me.

======
    GENERAL WAP SETTINGS:

1. APN: wap.fido.ca
    2. UserName: fido (lowercase, very important)
    3. Password: fido (lowercase, very important)
    4. WAP IP: 205.151.011.011
    5. WAP Port: 9201
    ======

I'm not sure where to use the port number, and when I input the ip in my network prefs, it no longer connects to GPRS.

I dont get why it's able to connect to the GPRS network, confirming with the reverse triangle icon.

and when I launch blazer which can surf onto wap sites... still doesnt work.

If anyone managed to go online using fido prepaid service, please let me know.

thanks.
    I have the same problem as you. Have you managed to resolve it yet? If yes, can you share your settings? I have tried everything to get GPRS working. I am about ready to sell my Treo 180 and wait for the Treo 600.

Richard
  5.    #5  
    There's not too many settings to play around with, I ended up changing to the monthly plan to try out the mobile web/wap surfing... once that was done I was able to connect to both wap and mobile web.

In my case it's totaly not worth it, it costs 5.00$/mo for 500kb, and just to log onto mobile.yahoo.com with bw graphics was 30k, so just a little surfing would finish my quota.

another thing about wap, when your with the monthly plan you can connect to wap.fido.ca and internet.fido.ca, when connected to wap.fido.ca, blazer doesnt work... so I'm sure fido blocks some sort requests coming from blazer trying to access the wap network, maybe it uses some other protocol, I couldnt figure it out. anyway thats why it doesnt work in prepaid service, which is a shame, because 0.15/min no matter how many bytes come through, I can do lots of surfing in a minute.

all this to say, that after 2 months promotion I'm going back to prepaid service, and no mobile surfing.
    Well, my wife and I are going to Toronto in a week and I need a PalmPhone while I'm up there, so I got a Treo 180.

Does FIDO provide POP3 and SMTP mail server for its subscribers, on prepay or standard plans? If not, I would have to use a web-based or wap mail service (ugh).

What is your favored WAP site for e-mail?

Thank you kindly.

John Bartley, Portland OR, USA
    http://celdata.cjb.net
    --
    K7AAY
  7.    #7  
    fido gives you a free email account wether your get the prepaid service or monthly plan, which is linked to your phone number. it's a web based email which you can configure wether you want all message going to your phone, or use filters, specific recipients, its actually very cool.

your email will be phone#@fido.ca, which you can change 1 time to whatever you want, but cant change it back.

every time you send or receive an email you are charge 0.10 cents, you dont need to activitate gprs for this, it uses text messaging technology.

if you want to access a specific email address you would have to go with a monthly plan, and get gprs plan as well, with that you can set an email application on treo to access what ever smtp or pop server you want. or log on to a web based account with blazer.

check out www.fido.ca for more info no packages.

if you dont need mobile internet the cheapest way to go would be prepaid service, with a 30$ prepaid card you get 200 min anytime, it will include voice mail, call forward, call display, call waiting, any text message you send/receive or email you send/receive will be debited from the 30$

if you go with the monthly plan of 20$ is also 200 min, but theres still the 6.95 service charge on top of that so it's 27.00, but you dont get voice mail, you dont get call display, and any sms or email you send and receive are charged at the rate of 0.10 on top of your 27.00, so your bill can rise pretty quickly if you like to send text messages.

prepaid vouchers also com in 10$, 15$, 25$, 30$, so if you occasionally use the phone for emergencies and send a few text messages here and there the 10$ is a pretty sweat deal.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Originally posted by slider
    Hi all, I just got a treo 270, and I'm trying to access internet features with Fido. I (think) I read all the all of the posts related to this and tried.

I got fido to enable GPRS
    I ran the patches
    I input the settings:
    name: fido
    pass: fido
    APN : wap.fido.ca

when I'm in the network preferences, I click on the connect button, after about 30 sec, it signs on, establishes a connection.. I get a reverse triangle, with 3-4 signal strenght....

I thought I was set, but when I launch Blazer, it says cant load page try again later, let me tell you I tryed again later....

does anyone have any idea on what I need to do?
    there are barely in settings in blazer. and fido doesnt support this phone so the tech support staff is clueless.

thanks all
    Hi I was wondering wich GPRS upgrade did you install on your phone, the onwe from Handsprings site? You know it will void your waranty because fido has not approved the upgrade.

How did the upgrade go? did you have any problems?

Thanks
  9.    #9  
    the GPRS upgrade on your treo has nothing to do with fido, fido doesnt even support the treo. in my case phone allready had gprs when I got it, dont quote me on this but I beleive only the earlier release of the treo were not gprs enabled, but now they should all have it, if not your can get the upgrade at rogers.ca, better yet if your treo is still under warranty you can ask handspring to walk you through the upgrade. it will not void your warranty.

have a good day.