1.    #1  
    I keep having to reset my wireless mode (turn it off and on). What happens is I try to either use Snappermail or browse the web and I get a timeout failure. My Treo has all of the signal strength and the GPRS indicators on, but for some reason it can't connect until I turn off and on the wireless mode. I can't figure out any pattern to this happening. After I reset it will work numerous times just fine, but a some later time in wont work. I am a T-Mobile New York user. Any ideas?

(Treo 180 GPRS pre-enabled)
    Originally posted by yaacov137
    I keep having to reset my wireless mode (turn it off and on). What happens is I try to either use Snappermail or browse the web and I get a timeout failure. My Treo has all of the signal strength and the GPRS indicators on, but for some reason it can't connect until I turn off and on the wireless mode. I can't figure out any pattern to this happening. After I reset it will work numerous times just fine, but a some later time in wont work. I am a T-Mobile New York user. Any ideas?

(Treo 180 GPRS pre-enabled)
    I do get this, but rarely (T-Mobile Los Angeles).

I've noted that my TMO signal will occasionally jump very suddenly from strong to nearly zero (and back again) and then occasionally my Treo 270 radio shuts down. Even when standing still I've had this happen. Usually, I'm not watching the signal strength, but a few times I saw it happen. Annoying but not a huge problem. Worse is when Snapper or Blazer freezes solid and requires a soft reset. I hate that. Erratic signal strength is often the reason for that, too.
    I am also in NY and have been having this problem the last couple of days. Hopefully only a temporary situation.
    There were a couple of threads about this back when T-Mobile started GPRS service. (I'm also in NY)

Quite often, I still have to connect-disconnect-reconnect and then it works.

I first thought it was related to signal strength, but I've had one signal bar, and connected on the first try - and other times I've had full signal, and had to disconnect & re-connect.

Michael
    Same deal here, folks. Using 180g, T-Mo with GPRS in Boston area. Even when GPRS triangle is showing as connected I timeout when trying to reach websites and/or fetch mail (TreoMail). Really a drag, but has only just started happening in the past 2-3 weeks.
  6.    #6  
    I have been going nuts with this. It happens to me at least three or four times a day or more.

Here's what I've tried:

Hard reset and totally clean install with no apps except Snappermail - that didn't work

1st call to T-Mobile - "try a hard reset" (didn't work)

2nd call to T-Mobile - we'll send you a replacement phone (didn't work)

Try replacing SIM - (didn't work)

2nd level Engineer - (after waiting one week for reply - "there's nothing wrong with our network" PS - they show me as being connected even when I can't connect.

Replaced 1.7 Snappermail with an older (pre-browser support) version - that didn't work.

I am so frustrated over not being able to trace the root of the problem. And I feel alone based on the few replies to this post (until these recent few)

errrrrrrrrrrrrr!
    I am experiencing the same problem in Cincinnati. I am frustrated with having to do a soft reset and reconnect.

does anyone know how long before GPRS from T-mobile on a Treo 270 times out and disconnects?
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    For what it's worth I am having the same problems here in Dallas with 270 and T-Mobile. I have to do a soft reset and/or turn off /on wireless. It happens about everytime I go to use gprs.

I'm starting to think I was better off with the old dialup modem.

Anyone find an infomation/resolution to this yet?
  9.    #9  
    Ilve had no resolution to this problem and have given up. T-Mobile closed my ticket since I told them I was using a work-around, which is to have Snappermail and Blazer disconnect when I'm finished. That way I have a clean disconnect and have to just live with the extra time it takes to log in for every e-mail check or web browse. Judging by the very few responses to my original post, we are in the minority, but it does seem that it is only T-Mobile users having this problem.
    I have the same problem in Orange County and other parts of Southern California. If it's a T-mobile only problem, I'll gladly switch to Sprint. I just bought the Treo 270 ($45 at Amazon) and I love it, but this problem drives me crazy...enough that I might not keep the device beyond the 14-day trial period.

BTW, a disconnect/reconnect usually solves the problem, but not always. I've tried lots of combinations of soft boots and hard boots, but they don't seem to help. The wireless disconnect method seems to work the best.
    I'm glad I discovered this thread as I've been experiencing the same thing for the last week. I'm with T-Mobile in Florida.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    This problem is not limited to the US. I use a 180 with Vodafone PAYG in the UK. Some days there are no problems and others will require a disconnect, turn off wireless connection and then reconnect wireless and GPRS.
    I have just put it down to the vagaries of signal strength, GPRS, Vodafone, the weather and software. Add all of these together and its lucky that anything works.
    Apart from that the 180 does everything I want. Phone, which is great because no one knows I have one so they can't call me, email, plus all the usual Palm functions. I now only have to wait three years until the 600 is discontinued and I can pick one of them up cheap.;-)
    This also happens to me in SF Bay Area with Cingular. I have no proof, but it seems like the GPRS connection gets stale, and won't work even though the 270 says it is connected. I just disconnect and then reconnect fresh and things seem to work. I use the "i" key in Snappermail to disconnect, as it seems that the network preferences screen disconnect button is not responsive in this situation, while the SM disconnect seems to do the trick.
    Same problem here (270 on T-Mobile). It does seem to help to manually disconnect, rather than allowing the connection to timeout.
    I've come to believe after my conversation with Tech support that this problem has been with the GPRS network and T-Mobile. I first called about this problem on August 11th. Today I was told that this is a "known issue" and that their engineers were working on it. It effects all Tzone capable phones, Treos, Sidekicks and PocketPC phones. I was given 50 extra minutes as compensation. (whoop tee doo) Anyway.... here's hoping they get things fixed soon.
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com