Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Now that I have T-Mobile Unlimited Internet on my Treo 270 can I also purchase a GPRS PC Card for my laptop and access GPRS from both? Has anyone done this ?
    I don't know the answer to this - but I can't think of any reason why you wouldn't be able to simply move your SIM card over to the PCMCIA card.

However, check out <a href="http://www.junefabrics.com/palmnet/index.php">PDANet</a>. I just bougt it for my Treo 180G, and it works great - I can connect my laptop to my treo via the sync cable and access the internet that way. I also bought a cheap USB charging sync cable from Amazon.com, so I don't have problems with the Treo battery limitations.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    This can be done with GPRS. I have five GPRS enabled objects, a Treo 270, Sony Ericsson T39m, T68i, Novatel Wireless Merlin GPRS 1900mhz pcccard and a Sierra Wireless Aircard 750 World Band GPRS Phone/Pccard. All of them work fine with GPRS and my T-Mobile SIM, and I switch between them as needed. (Using my Treo right now to read Treo Central Mobile, as I can't sleep) Being able to change devices easily is one of the reasons I like GSM technology! I am never tied down to one handset. Of course, it can be difficult to obtain carrier support when the handset you are asking about is one they aren't selling yet! For example, I had GPRS on my Treo for five months before T-Mobile even offered Treos!
    I second that. T-Mobile Sierra Aircard 750 works well with a very good UI. SIM card easily transferred from one device to another. No problems. It is also tri-band, which is another plus.

Just make sure when you buy the PC card not to open a second account (and get a second SIM). You want to buy the card only, which I believe can only be done in person at a T-Mobile walk-in store. The internet offerings, I think, are for new accounts only. Also, I've seen them go off at eBay (new or nearly new) for much less than retail. Here's a few: http://search-completed.ebay.com/sea...ayreg&from=R14
    How do these compare to Sprint Vision / Verizon Express regarding speed. I have a Sprint card for work and get 80-130K on a regular basis. I was under the impression that GPRS was quite a bit slower.
    Originally posted by gkaatz
    How do these compare to Sprint Vision / Verizon Express regarding speed. I have a Sprint card for work and get 80-130K on a regular basis. I was under the impression that GPRS was quite a bit slower.
    GPRS is indeed quite a bit slower-- Dialup speeds, 30K-50K, more or less, at best, but that will eventually change with next generation. The real advantage of GPRS is international/anywhere availability. If all you need is highest speeds then stick with Sprint Vision. For my purposes Sprint coverage is not nearly as everywhere as T-Mobile.
    Anyone have comparison experiences between the Sierra 750 vs using PDANET with a treo600 to connect a laptop. I am using PDANET but wonder if one of these 750 cards off of ebay might have better performance and of course a cleaner setup.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    i got 57k on pdanet on the t-mobile network with pdanet, not too bad if i can believe what the connection says.