Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone noticed that since Cingular approved the upgrade that you get logged off regularly (I assume because of inactivity?) It works fine when I log in but if I don't use it for an hour or so, I will get logged off. This sucks! I have a 270 with the asian 1.1 upgrade. Does this happen to anyone with the new Cingular approved upgrade? This just started happening last week. I used to be able to stay connected for weeks at a time. Not happy.

Don
    I have same issue with Cingular and Asian upgrade, bit of an annoyance.

Mike
  3.    #3  
    I wonder if anyone with the "approved" upgrade could let us know if they have the same problem?

TIA,
    Don
    I use the asian carrier and have also noticed getting logged out.
    This same problem started with me too on friday. It will no longer stay connected........
    version 1.1
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    I have been using v.1.1 for about 4 months, first on a T180 then a T270 here in the SF Bay Area. Until the official rollout, I might stay connected a day or 2, or drop in a minute. The whole system seemed to be down for a week before the rollout. But for sure, I am now getting dropped regularly in an hour or 2 with a new error message on my T270 about being disconnected due to inactivity. I assume Cingular is going to drop the 'lease' if you don't use it. So much for always being connected.
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    Same thing here. Getting dropped, and with the new error message. Didn't happen until last Friday.

Don't they advertise GPRS on Cingular's website as "always-on"?

I'm using the 1.1 upgrade from months ago, though I just activated GPRS last week.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I am running the bootleg version of the GPRS update and I am also getting disconnected off GPRS every hour of non-use. 'Always On' yeah right. Is anyone having the same problem who is using the new official GPRS update experiencing the same problem??

Kirby
    I too, a new gprs user, am experiencing the dropping of my service, with the same message many of you are getting. Anyone call Cingular to find out what the story is? I'm calling tomorrow.
    FWIW, I just got off the phone with Cingular Tech Support (after a 30 minute wait). He had no specific knowledge about any official 'time out' on the GPRS side. He did say that there was a time out on the CSD/Wireless Internet/dial-up side of about 3 minutes. He did however opine that it was quite possible that the network managers did put in some kind of time out on the GPRS system as well, but he had no service notes.
    This crazy thing just started happening. After a few hours, it would appear my GPRS is still active, but when I check my Treo Mail, I get a "GPRS has timed out" message and a system crash to go along with it. Not everytime, but once is too much for me. Anyone....?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Same thing here TomiJ. What is the deal?

Kirby
  13.    #13  
    I called Cingular yesterday also and she said tech didn't know anything about it. She did say "there is one thing on your account that isn't quite right so I fixed it" but she also said tech support didn't think it would make a difference. She said to give it 24 hours and try it again. If it still doesn't work, they'll open a trouble ticket. I plan on filing one today. It most definitely is an auto-logoff due to network inactivity - it always happens at 1 hour (I checked.) I'll let you know what they say.

She also said she hadn't had any calls about this from customers. So, people, call and complain!

Don
  14.    #14  
    Well, got off the phone with another rep and another tech person that seemed to know what was going on... They said the inactivity timeout was 60 minutes and the activity timeout (even while you're using it) is 120 minutes! I don't know exactly how they calculate the active timeout (maybe if you use it at 0 minutes, then again at 50 minutes, then again at 50, you will be logged off no matter what in another 20?) but this really sucks! I expressed my disappointment but, as usual, nobody seemed to care. So much for always on. Maybe everyone can write a letter or something? I plan to even though I know it won't make a difference. So we can't even cheat the system by having an appliation ping a machine every 50 minutes. Have to hand it to them for being crafty though.

Don
    How about using Snappermail's "perioding delivery" as a sort of ping to keep the connection alive?

I've had the same problem with the 1.1.2 (Cingular) upgrade.

I have Snappermail check a non-existent email account. Right now it's set to 45 minutes with mixed success. I at this point, I'm not sure if I'm losing the GPRS connection because of signal weakness or because of a timeout. At least this method seems to "reconnect" the GPRS if Snappermail tries to pull mail when there's no GPRS connection.

Anyone else with Snappermail care to give it a try?
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    I am using 1.1.2 and it has been over 24 hrs. and have not been disconnected yet. I have sent and received only 7 emails in that time. Perhaps they were some complaints and Cingular took care of the problem.

Kirby
    Here's something interesting with the new 1.1.2 GPRS update - it seems as though the "Prefs" application now defaults to the "Network" screen (where the "connect" button is). Maybe they expect that users will need to access it alot...

Nice idea anyway, I guess.
    Mine doesn't do that. Whatever screen I leave in Prefs it returns to when I go back.
    Yeah, I tried exiting the Prefs application while using another screen (ie "General"), and it STILL comes back to the Network screen when I return to the Prefs application. Weird.
    Global Posts
    366 Global Posts
    Mine doesn't do that either.

Kirby
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast