Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have a Treo 270 using Boston T-Mobile with GPRS, supposedly with international roaming. I am in London but T-Mobile does not show as an available network and the available networks (Vodaphone and BT Telecom) do not support GPRS.

Anyone know why I cannot connect to T-Mobile?

The local T-Mobile representatives explain the problem by saying they are not connected to T-Mobile in the former colonies.
    Originally posted by Brady99
    I have a Treo 270 using Boston T-Mobile with GPRS, supposedly with international roaming. I am in London but T-Mobile does not show as an available network and the available networks (Vodaphone and BT Telecom) do not support GPRS.

Anyone know why I cannot connect to T-Mobile?

The local T-Mobile representatives explain the problem by saying they are not connected to T-Mobile in the former colonies.
    It could be that T-Mobild in London does not have 900 MHz service (only 1800 MHz).
    Global Posts
    210 Global Posts
    Sucks, doesn't it...
    I thought it was going to work, too.

I found I had incredible service (signal strength) through Vodaphone, for voice and text messaging. Vodaphone is listed as one of T-Mobile's "partners" for voice service, but the only "Partner" listed for Internet service is T-Mobile UK (which, as Silverado explained, is incompatible with out U.S.-bought Treos.)

Best bet: buy a cheap prepaid Vodaphone or Orange SIM card at any local store. Once the Treo finds the network, it will list "Vodaphone Internet" or something similar in network connection preferences.

Good luck!
    Originally posted by sck18
    Sucks, doesn't it...
    Best bet: buy a cheap prepaid Vodaphone or Orange SIM card at any local store. Once the Treo finds the network, it will list "Vodaphone Internet" or something similar in network connection preferences.

Good luck!
    Do you mean that he would then be able to use GPRS with his T-Mobile SIM card?
    I was there 2 months ago and since TMO does not 'own' assets in the UK only voice/sms work. I did get a sim at Orange and used it for fetching mail then put my TMO sim back.

chat via sms worked and my phone worked everywhere. great coverage.

Derek
    TMobile do own a network in the UK, but it is an 1800MHz network and so is not available to US-based Treos which only supports 900MHz networks in Europe. Nothing you can do about that, just get the best you can from O2 or Vodafone.
  7.    #7  
    Before leaving for London, I checked the "International Internet Availability on T-Mobile's web site. Based on their coverage chart, their simple instructions showing how to connect a Handspring Treo 270 to their GPRS network and their rate card, I thought I was all set. Imagine my surprise when I learned that you cannot connect a US purchased Handspring Treo to ANY GPRS service in England or the Netherlands. (You probably cannot connect to a GPRS seevice anywhere in Europe but I only tried UK and Netherlands).

So, if you have a US purchased Handspring Treo and want to use it in Europe to obtain e-mails or connect to the Internet be sure you have an international CSD provider like Earthlink. Nothing I had seen on the T-Mobile site or any bulletin board prepared me for this.
    Originally posted by Brady99
    Before leaving for London, I checked the "International Internet Availability on T-Mobile's web site. Based on their coverage chart, their simple instructions showing how to connect a Handspring Treo 270 to their GPRS network and their rate card, I thought I was all set. Imagine my surprise when I learned that you cannot connect a US purchased Handspring Treo to ANY GPRS service in England or the Netherlands. (You probably cannot connect to a GPRS seevice anywhere in Europe but I only tried UK and Netherlands).

So, if you have a US purchased Handspring Treo and want to use it in Europe to obtain e-mails or connect to the Internet be sure you have an international CSD provider like Earthlink. Nothing I had seen on the T-Mobile site or any bulletin board prepared me for this.
    Do you think they said that you need a world phone somewhere? In the description of world phone, did they specify frequencies?
  9.    #9  
    The web-site says only that you need a Handspring Treo.
    Is there an easy/cheap way to buy a European 180 that works on 1800MHz?
    Having just returned from London and Berlin I have multiple observations on the GPRS International issue. Hopefully this will save the countless hours I spent trying to get GPRS access on multiple providers.

I have a 270 (US) and my primary carrier is Cingular (CA).

UK/London: Upon arrival no GPRS access through either provider: Vodafone nor O2 with Cingular SIM. I had prepaid Vodafone/Omnitel SIMs from friends/family from the UK and Italy - again neither would allow GPRS connections. One did allow an ISDN/CSD connection which was helpful (I think the UK Vodafone).

One GPRS sucess, I also also have an AT&T SIM with 8MB GPRS package. With its SIM and selecting O2 network I was able to get GPRS - no indication it was available but simply trying to connect it worked. Two caveats: 1.) No AT&T access whatsoever (voice) upon arrival until I spent probably $20 in airtime trying to contact them to have them turn me on and 2.) during a layover at Heathrow the GPRS AT&T/O2 connection stopped working after about an 1/2 hour - the remaining hour I couldn't get any GPRS whatsoever.

I also tried an Orange prepaid SIM from the Covent Garden Orange Shop - no luck, we couldn't even get it to find a signal. Evidentally Orange works on a different GSM frequency than the US Treo has.

In Berlin/Germany I had no success with GPRS. The AT&T SIM on either D1/DTelekom or D2/Vodafone were unsuccessful. Cingular of course had no GPRS access as well - impossible to contact them via email too. At $3.99/min rates contacting US customer service is horriyingly expensive. Also in Germany there were no prepaid SIMs (Handykarten) that permitted GPRS.

Both SIMs worked fine for regular voice calls although AT&T wouldn't allow the D1 Telekom network (and as mentioned earlier did not work initially despite their assurance I had international roaming active). As expected signal coverage was about near perfect on every provider.

Both AT&T and Cingular promised GPRS access (in addition to regular voice) for the UK and Germany. Cingular even told me with their higher ($3.99/min) rates one would be crazy to use CSD.

The ease with which Europeans have been able use their GSM phones in different countries clearly does not apply to GPRS.

Hope this helpful to someone.
    I have a T-Mobile plan in Boston and I just arrived in London and to my surprise my 270 said T-Mobile when I turned it on! I thought that was just a delay in displaying the different carrier name. but it kept saying T-Mobile.

Then I switched to snapper mail and asked it to fetc, and it connected just like it does in Boston!! I'm posting this from the taxi :-)

I have T-Mobile VPN service.

Very happy camper!!
    Interesting! After turning radio off then on again, my phone now says UK Vodafone and I can still use my T-Mobile VPN GPRS network profile. this makes more sense since T-Mo doesn't have 900 MHz here and I didn't think they would install any.
    Are you aware that, according to T-Mobile, there is a $15/mb GPRS roaming charge in Europe?
    Yikes!! According to what i had read a few weeks ago on the T-Mobile web site, and what they told me when I called to confirm, one would be using their own bucket of data without roaming charges!! Do you have a pointer to this info?

Thanks.
    I hope that I got bad info, but it is what I was told by a T-Mobile rep when I recently called in preparation for a trip to Europe. I restated the question several times to make sure she understood me and go the same answer. I am going to send an email request about this to T-Mobile to get it in "writing" and will report the answer.
    The BAD news is that I have just verified that GPRS usage outside the USA for T-Mobile users is definitely $15/mb. The "good" news is that it doesn't use up anything from your existing plan allowance.
    GPRS does not work in Paris either, but as soon as I leave the city limits, it works again. (It works in La Defense, for example.) This may be due to the fact that the 270 only uses 900 and 1900, and not 1800. Within the city limits, they need the extra band width on the 900 freq, so GPRS is directed to the 1800.
    okay, now i'm really confused after reading this whole string - i have a US treo 270 and i moved to the UK recently. I bought a prepaid sim card with vodafone. vodafone uk DOES allow GPRS for even prepaid sim card holders (i have spoken with customer service about it extensively). I have even been able to get my US treo connected to GPRS. however, once connected, i cannot open blazer to any page (says it "cannot open the page right now - please try again later", but this keeps coming up day after day) and i cannot get my treo mail or eudora mail to work via GPRS.

is there anybody out there who uses GPRS via vodafone UK on a treo (US bought or UK bought)? if so, could you please post all the settings required, including
    user:
    pword:
    apn:
    proxy? (if so, address)
    ip? (automatic or pls provide the address)
    port? (if so, pls provide number)

thanks.
    Originally posted by gabriellevy
    okay, now i'm really confused after reading this whole string - i have a US treo 270 and i moved to the UK recently. I bought a prepaid sim card with vodafone. vodafone uk DOES allow GPRS for even prepaid sim card holders (i have spoken with customer service about it extensively). I have even been able to get my US treo connected to GPRS. however, once connected, i cannot open blazer to any page (says it "cannot open the page right now - please try again later", but this keeps coming up day after day) and i cannot get my treo mail or eudora mail to work via GPRS.

is there anybody out there who uses GPRS via vodafone UK on a treo (US bought or UK bought)? if so, could you please post all the settings required, including
    user:
    pword:
    apn:
    proxy? (if so, address)
    ip? (automatic or pls provide the address)
    port? (if so, pls provide number)

thanks.
    gabriellevy:

I'm so glad to to find someone in EXACTLY the same boat as I am! I am a Boston T-Mobile customer with a Treo 270 currently in London using a prepaid Vodafone SIM card. When I bought my SIM card on April 28, I was told that GPRS for prepaid cards will start working on May 1st and that I had to sign up for it then. I called on May 1st and asked to be provisioned for it, and, sure enough, the little triangle showed up soon after the call.

The built-in Vodafone GPRS profile on the Treo couldn't connect (it complained about the wrong APN). After a few calls to customer servicd (each costing me 25p), I was told that the APN to use is pp.vodafone.co.uk. Since then I've been able to connect, but can get no where.

Calling CS again twice, they have told me that since they have just brought this service online (for prepaid cards) and because of the many people that signed up, they are having problems with the service and are still working on it. They told me that everyone is experiencing the same problem and to keep trying. They promised they will eventually fix it.

The other parts of the settings are "web" for username and the password is whatever it was in the default Vodafone GPRS profile (I copied it).

Keep me posted on your progress and if you know anything different!

Cheers.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast