1.    #1  
    Let's compare the existing GPRS plans of each company. I plan to use the cheapest as soon as my contract runs out. That includes getting a 300 and selling my 270. I speculate that on the eve of the 1 year contracts expiring of the first 270's sold is when companies will drop their price on GPRS. Should be this summer.

Sprint 3g $10 mo / unlimited
    T-mobile $20 mo / 20 mb
    Cingular $6.95 mo / 1 MB - Is there one with more data?
    AT & T ????
    Rogers ????
    Originally posted by Bob-C
    T-mobile $20 mo / 20 mb
    Where have you seen this? Right now I have $20 / 10MB
    Here are Cingular's data rate plans:

1MB-$6.99
    3MB-$14.99
    7MB-$29.99
    13MB-$49.99

With 1MB you'll be just fine! Cingular can't seem to track data usage very well on the treo which works great in our favor.
    This could be different now that v1.1.2 is available!
    Stick with v1.1 or 1.1.1 if you can!
    and Sprint Treo 300 is NOT GPRS enabled, Sorry!

Oh yeah, your wrong about the Tmobile one, I also get 10MB for 20 bucks. I've hardly gone over 5mb, which is 10$.
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
  5.    #5  
    Whoops! Made a typo about T-mobile's GPRS plans. You're correct in saying it's $20 / 10 MB. I can't remember, how much does T-MO give you for $10?

As for the 300, I know that's it's not GPRS enabled. I should've typed that I wanted to compare each company's high speed always on plan. Technical differences aside, from a high level end user's perspective the G3 high speed service is really no different than GPRS. Speeds seem to vary on area and provider more than on technical detail.

Thanks for clearing up the T-Cingular usage tracking issue. I was wondering why people were saying that 1 MB was plenty. Don't know if I would want to sign up with Cingular just hoping that they will keep tracking usage incorrectly though.

Bob
    T-mobile gives you two measily megabytes for $10. I'm on the $10 plan. Wish they'd get more competitive with with Sprint.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    Greetings. I thought I'd point out that while I personally don't care for Sprint, their network is quite a bit faster than GPRS. I get speeds of 5 - 30 kbps on T-Mobile, fine for the Treo 270 but slow with my aircard 750 and a Windows XP laptop. I really can't do Windows Terminal Services with GPRS. On the Sprint network, browsing is quite fast, and the Treo 300 is visibly faster than a 270. I wish T-Mobile would allow the additional channels for GPRS to make it faster. Right now the best they do is 2 down and 1 up. Unlimited mb would be nice too.
    In the end TMO is still cheaper than the others. I'm sure Sprint is faster but at 33mhz who are we kidding. TMO has a 3000 anytime minutes for 50 bucks. Add 20 for data and for 70 bucks nobody can touch this. TMO also has a 5000 anytime for $99 with free LD.

No other carrier has anytime minutes at that price. Unlimited data on a Treo seems useless. I use about 2mb and that's a lot of email.

Derek
    Tmo gives 5mb for 10 bucks, and 10 for $20. I chose the 10mb plan, but really haven't ever gone over 6mb in a month. That's using SnapperMail and Verichat and Yahoo SMS's, and browsing the net almost daily...
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    christo,

I'm not using gprs yet, but would like to know how you keep track of the mbs you use per month?

thanx
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  11.    #11  
    I thought TMO had only 2 MB for $10. Did they change their pricing to give 5 MB for $10???

As far as Terminal Services, I assume you are using the 270 just as a modem and running Terminal Services on the laptop? I am not aware of any ICA/RDP client for the Treo. Could you please clarify.

Thanks,

Bob
    Yes they changed their plan from the original (can't even remember that far back) pricing to the 5/10 10/20 at the same time.

I keep track using TrafficStat - and double checked when getting my tmobile bill. It shows data usage separate, like sms used. It does detail it, by day even. Like I said though, I've gone over 5 just once, but still pay for the 10 just in case.
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    how does traffic stat co-exist will ceel phone tracker? Or do they?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Originally posted by christo1970
    Yes they changed their plan from the original (can't even remember that far back) pricing to the 5/10 10/20 at the same time.

I keep track using TrafficStat - and double checked when getting my tmobile bill. It shows data usage separate, like sms used. It does detail it, by day even. Like I said though, I've gone over 5 just once, but still pay for the 10 just in case.
    I checked T-Mobiles website and I do not see 5 megs for $10 anywhere? Is this an unadvertised price and we have to call in to get it?
    Perhaps Tmo doesn't have the 5 meg plan anymore, but i could swear they DID, cause i remember discussing with the ***** (rep).

No conflict w/ Cell phone tracker! It's nice and simple, and works!

Chris
    Christo

There are NO Limits
    Pretty interesting article... How fast is your Treo?
    I too have found that although slower, my dialup connection to my ISP is working out significantly cheaper than Swisscom's GPRS service offering.

I guess it's all down to the plan you have. For now I will stick with dialup until such time that Swisscom cuts me some slack

up to 1 MB per month CHF 0.19 per 10kB (US14cents per 10kb)
    over 1 MB per month CHF 0.10 per 10kB (US7cents per 10kb)
    www.gsmworld.com
  17.    #17  
    Does anyone know what AT&T or Rogers charge?
    Here are the rates for AT&T as of MArch 29, 2003:

Included Service: $0, 0MB, and $0.03/KB
    Mini Plan: $2.99, 0MB, and $0.02/KB
    Mega Plan: $7.99, 1MB, and $0.01/KB
    Max Plan: $12.99, 4MB, and $0.008/KB
    Ultra Plan: $19.99, 8MB, and $0.006/KB

Mobile Internet Plans:

$29.99: 10MB and $0.003/KB
    $39.99: 20MB and $0.002/KB
    $59.99: 40MB and $0.0015/KB
    $74.99: 60MB and $0.0013/KB
    $99.99: 100MB and $0.0010/KB

I'm going to sign up for AT&T service along with the 1MB (Mega) Plan. All I'm going to use it for is to check email, write an occassional email, and use mapquest once in awhile. I figure 1MB is more than enough for WAP stuff.