1.    #1  
    I bought a new unactivated T-Mobile SIM from Amazon. I'm new to using GSM SIMs so some of the basic knowledge is lost for me. I see on the back of the "credit card" the SIM is attached to there is an expiration date of March 5th, 2014. The trouble is, I was planning on activating it after that date since my NET10 card doesn't expire for another 10 days after that. Am I screwed? Will it seriously not activate after that date?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    I bought a new unactivated T-Mobile SIM from Amazon. I'm new to using GSM SIMs so some of the basic knowledge is lost for me. I see on the back of the "credit card" the SIM is attached to there is an expiration date of March 5th, 2014. The trouble is, I was planning on activating it after that date since my NET10 card doesn't expire for another 10 days after that. Am I screwed? Will it seriously not activate after that date?
    If I remember correctly, even activated, you need to replace the SIM once it expires as well.

Was it via Fullfilled by Amazon? I would get a refund.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  3.    #3  
    If I take it to a TMobile store, will they give me a new one?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    I am not a GSM guy, but the thought of a SIM expiring is bizarre. I could see maybe it needing to be activated by a certain date (though don't get why) but not having to be replaced after a certain date. I'd call or take it in and ask. I wouldn't be surprised either way about them replacing it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    I am not a GSM guy, but the thought of a SIM expiring is bizarre. I could see maybe it needing to be activated by a certain date (though don't get why) but not having to be replaced after a certain date. I'd call or take it in and ask. I wouldn't be surprised either way about them replacing it or not.
    SIMs do have shelf life. Most don't notice it because you usually get a new SIM with the new phone, and the SIM would usually outlast the phone (8-15 years vs 3-4 years), or the card doesn't have the correct applications on it, e.g. older SIM cards are not compatible with HSPA or LTE because it's missing the app.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    SIMs do have shelf life. Most don't notice it because you usually get a new SIM with the new phone, and the SIM would usually outlast the phone (8-15 years vs 3-4 years), or the card doesn't have the correct applications on it, e.g. older SIM cards are not compatible with HSPA or LTE because it's missing the app.
    Outdated I can see. I just mean if it works now, there shouldn't e any reason to have to replace it unless I get a new phone it won't work in, like you said, or it goes bad due to flash media failure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grabber5.0 View Post
    Outdated I can see. I just mean if it works now, there shouldn't e any reason to have to replace it unless I get a new phone it won't work in, like you said, or it goes bad due to flash media failure.
    Actually it's coming from former Nokia that SIM cards indeed have shelf life.

To NFC or not, is that a SIM card question? | ZDNet

I do remember reading about something similar and had SIM cards suddenly go dead once on my parent's phone back in Hong Kong. That SIM was fairly old, used in a Nokia 5110 and been through several phones.