Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Alan Morford
  1.    #1  
    So I'd love to play with my Veer but I'm a verizon customer and it's locked to ATT. How can I get a prepaid ATT SIM so I can play with this badboy for fun? Maybe a month or so? What are my choices?
    Follow me on Twitter
    For the latest webOS news check out pivotCE
    Dogbert's unlock works for Veer's too I think, if you want TMo as an option.

Then I dunno... Prepaid? Aio (from ATT)? Net10, Straight Talk, the list goes on.
    I think H20 sim will work even if locked
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Morford View Post
    So I'd love to play with my Veer but I'm a verizon customer and it's locked to ATT. How can I get a prepaid ATT SIM so I can play with this badboy for fun? Maybe a month or so? What are my choices?
    I'm playing this same game too! I can't mess with my Pre2 on Sprint as it vacuumed 11gig last month (i'll find out if they throttle down soon i guess!)

...but i got a Veer to play with since it is so cute. too cute!

- ATT mvno's don't require unlocking, but the "dogbert method" is easy if you want it done and its only done once.

- Straight Talk is the walmart rebranding of Net10, which is rebranded Tracfone. They all offer unlimited/2.5gig H+ for $45-50 mo. Speedtest shows 6-7Mbps download.

- Most of them saying "unlimited" are capping hi-speed at 2.5 gig. But AIO is a new company, and there's a couple others that are now offering 7gig data and more. I think even ATT Go prepaid has a larger one now, 8 gig maybe? Lots of plans have recently changed terms.

- There are a lot of cheaper services if you only want 500mb of data or less. Or, Daily packages are like $3 for 200mb of H+.

- You have to unlock if you want to experiment with T-Mo, which i believe has the fastest H+ service. I think it's faster than ATT. But you have to be in the "refarm" area. I was just trying to duplicate the same test i did last xmas, but i found out the $30, 100min/5gig plan is now only available through walmart, and requires a special packaged SIM, not just any t-mo sim like i just wasted $10 on apparently. hah So some risk if you want to try t-mo.

- All sims are cheaper if you buy online, or even ebay, wait to get it in the mail, then add the plan when you activate by phone or web.

- avoid any mvno's that run on Sprint, like Cricket, ting, republic. CDMA won't work for veer.

i went with net10 only because it was the last sim left on the shelf at walmart, but i could have gone with ST. They are the same. net10 will do $45 if you auto-bill pay.

i'll play with the Veer for a month and decide what i want to do with it. until i have a job again, and can justify buying home internet again, i'm stuck with my Pre2 on Sprint. but thank God for it. my little FrankenPre is the sole source of telecom multimedia in my life right now. (hang in there, little comm board! haha)

google searching ATT mvno will bring up plenty of reviews, but as i said a LOT of plans changed terms within the last month, including Net10 which was hard capped and is now just throttled down. so anything older than November may be obsolete info.

Sprint has free call forwarding, maybe VZN does too, and you can carry one tiny phone for a while. have fun!
    Unlocking is easy and free using Dogbert's method. Afterwards you can use any GSM carrier or GSM MVNO :-)

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Herrie View Post
    Unlocking is easy and free using Dogbert's method. Afterwards you can use any GSM carrier or GSM MVNO :-)

Well so far unlocking is going ok but now that I'm installing the windows driver I'm getting a message that the file's hash is wrong... I'm on Windows 8.1. I wonder if I have to disable the driver check...dunno. Ideas?

-- Sent from my Palm Pre3 using Forums
    Follow me on Twitter
    It worked fine on Win7 (x64) for me, haven't touched Win8 yet. You might want to try that. Would work in VirtualBox as well I guess..

HP Veer (daily driver), HP Pre 3, HP Touchpad Proper 4G/LTE (Sierra MC7710), HP Touchpad 32GB WiFi, Palm Pre 2
  8.    #8  
    It was what I thought it was. Had to reboot 8.1 into advanced startup options and disable driver signature verification. Installed and worked perfectly the first time. Except for the fact that I didn't know I had to already have the SIM I would use. lol I'm a 3G verizon customer...no SIMS! So I've been looking around and I think I'll just grab the Net10 pack I saw at Best Buy earlier today. It's $45 for the month.
    Follow me on Twitter
    TJs11thPre likes this.