1.    #1  
    I recently purchased a Treo 180 from a previous user who used Rogers AT&T Wireless Data Services (GPRS) before he sold it to me. I bought a SIM card from Rogers, and everything works, except the browser. I installed the latest GPRS Update (v1.1.2) and everything should work, but it doesnt. I know GPRS is functioning because i see the little triangle in the top right-hand corner of the screen with the signal bars. Whenever i try to go
    to a website, it says: "You need to connect to the internet to view this page", and when i click Yes to connect, it says "Connecting", then it says "Signing On...", and then it gives me an error that says, "Your GPRS APN is not configured correctly. Please check your Network Preferences and Try Again (4046)", and then it times out. My network prefs are pre-determined by
    Rogers and locked, so all i see when i go in there is "Service: Internet" and thats it. Ive tried calling Rogers Customer Service many times, but it seems like they dont know what theyre doing. Ive tried everything and nothing is working. What should I do?
    On the network settings, did you try clicking the locked/unlock button, can't remember which one. This should unlock the settings, then you can edit them or at least see what they are.

Do you have a Data package already set-up through Rogers? Sometimes the CSRs have been known to set them up incorrectly. Also, when you phone, keep pushing to talk to a GSM Tech or someone higher up in the technical department. Half the battle with Rogers is getting past the front line support.

I had some problems with Rogers before, so I know, but my memory is a little sketchy. I have since switched to Fido
  3.    #3  
    I check the network settings. There is no lock/unlock button. Only a little icon that says its locked. There is a modify button, but when i click that it says I cant modify because its locked by Rogers.

I do have a 150k Data package just because I wanted to test it out first.

I probably just need to get manual settings from Rogers and make another Network Connection. With the error i am getting the APN is probably wrong.
    Check with Rogers that they have setup you data plan correctly - it should work if it is setup correctly. One thing that you should know they have two different types of data access plans - ones for regular mobile phones and ones for the treo and blackberry. For the Treo plans the cheapest plan is $20.00 and it includes 1.5MB so maybe you are on the wrong plan.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
  5.    #5  
    Thats what I thought at the beginning but I didnt think that the error I was getting had anything to do with that. I did ask at a Rogers store if the data plan made a difference and the guy said no, but he may have been wrong.
    Originally posted by Hob0JunGL
    I check the network settings. There is no lock/unlock button. Only a little icon that says its locked. There is a modify button, but when i click that it says I cant modify because its locked by Rogers.

I do have a 150k Data package just because I wanted to test it out first.

I probably just need to get manual settings from Rogers and make another Network Connection. With the error i am getting the APN is probably wrong.
    Rogers is supposed to be using these settings:
    user wapuser1
    password wap
    APN internet.com

You could create a new settings under Service in Network preferences are try these out. I use Fido, so I am not sure how well they work.

These settings were sent to me in December by the Hnadspring rep here in Toronto, who is no longer with them I hear. They were also posted here on Treocentral in the fall ahortly after the 1st gprs came out.
    Originally posted by Hob0JunGL
    I recently purchased a Treo 180 from a previous user who used Rogers AT&T Wireless Data Services (GPRS) before he sold it to me. I bought a SIM card from Rogers, and everything works, except the browser. I installed the latest GPRS Update (v1.1.2) and everything should work, but it doesnt. I know GPRS is functioning because i see the little triangle in the top right-hand corner of the screen with the signal bars. Whenever i try to go
    to a website, it says: "You need to connect to the internet to view this page", and when i click Yes to connect, it says "Connecting", then it says "Signing On...", and then it gives me an error that says, "Your GPRS APN is not configured correctly. Please check your Network Preferences and Try Again (4046)", and then it times out. My network prefs are pre-determined by
    Rogers and locked, so all i see when i go in there is "Service: Internet" and thats it. Ive tried calling Rogers Customer Service many times, but it seems like they dont know what theyre doing. Ive tried everything and nothing is working. What should I do?
    I have a question about the gprs 1.1.2. Are you on a PC or a Mac? I've been waiting for incompetent Rogers to fix the mac .sit archive since they posted the updater last week, becuase I can't unstuff it. The archives are both corrupt. It happened before when they posted the 1.1. It took themm weeks to fox it than. This morning the link to the 1.1.2 updates does not work, so hopefully they are fixing it??
    If some kind soul with a PC wanted to email me the files inside the Handspring folder of this updater, I could work with them. That's all I need to do the update on Mac OS X.
  8.    #8  
    Firstly, I am on PC.
    Secondly, I tried creating a new network connection using the settings you gave me but no luck. Same error. APN is not configured correctly. Im starting to think its the Data Plan..
    If it does not work with the settings that were posted, it must be something with your data plan, as these settings work fine with my 180 and Rogers.
  10.    #10  
    Well what do you know. All that I needed to do to get this thing to work was reinstall the GPRS 1.1.2 upgrade for the third time. And to think I stopped at two.
    ha! What? A corrupt archive? Rogers did the same thing with 1.1.1. upgrade..

They have some real idiots working there..

How many people does it take to upload a file? .. for Rogers probably 20..
    Originally posted by headtailgrep
    ha! What? A corrupt archive? Rogers did the same thing with 1.1.1. upgrade..

They have some real idiots working there..

How many people does it take to upload a file? .. for Rogers probably 20..
    Rogers newer had the 1.1.1 update, but they had 1.1 before this one. You are right that the Mac 1.1 archive was corrupt, it would not expand and it took them about 3 weeks to fix it.

Now the Mac 1.1.2 still are corrupt, 2 weeks after they were posted. These stuffit files can be downloaded, but they won't unstuff. I showed them the problem 2 weeks ago and they have not been able to fox it since than.

Becuase I complained to Handspring head office, they put me in touch with the new reps for Canada (Jim Mandala no longer works for Handspring and the Canadian office is closed), so we have to go through the US. The new US East coast rep helped me download normal, proper stuffit file, which unstuffed fine. So I now have the 1.1.2 mac updater, but I have not had the time to install it yet. We all know how long that takes.

What is amazing is that in all this time, Rogers has not been able to upload non-corrupt stuffit file on their site.

headtailgrep is worng in attributing the problems Hob0JunGL had to the corrupt archive. I think Hob0JunGL's problem was different in nature. If you can install the 1.1.2 update, than your archive is OK.