1.    #1  
    I'm posting this from my Treo via Cingular GPRS, so I managed to get that working. Now for the next hurdle -- how do you send an email with Cingular service? I've tried both Eudora and One Touch with my earthlink account. I can receive mail, but I can't send. With my SMTP server set to mail.earthlink.net, I get an error saying 'relaying prohibited by administrator'. I called cingular for their SMTP server, but they don't have one. They told me that sending email from the Treo is impossible.

Is this true? Email was one of my main reasons for buying the phone. Let me know if you know how to work around this. I might end up switching to t-mobile after all. Thanks, -jl
    I can send and receive e-mail on my T180 with Cingular GPRS. I have my own URL via register.com, so I use the SMTP for my mail system on my Treo with OneTouch Mail. Works fine. I know that there is a theoretical risk/problem with relaying of mail and security, but it works for me. FWIW, I also called Cingular CS/tech support to ask about SMTP name for Cingular, and they too told me that they did not need/use one as it was built into their system (??!!). I trust that you entered all necessary info into OTM (names/passwords).
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by jposin
    I can send and receive e-mail on my T180 with Cingular GPRS. I have my own URL via register.com, so I use the SMTP for my mail system on my Treo with OneTouch Mail. Works fine. I know that there is a theoretical risk/problem with relaying of mail and security, but it works for me.
    Could you explain this a bit further? I don't quite follow how you did this. I tried using Earthlink's SMTP and it told me that relaying wasn't permitted. FWIW, I was having this problem even before upgrading to GPRS.

FWIW, I also called Cingular CS/tech support to ask about SMTP name for Cingular, and they too told me that they did not need/use one as it was built into their system (??!!). I trust that you entered all necessary info into OTM (names/passwords).
    Yes, I entered everything into Eudora and One Touch and both programs have problems. Thanks for your help, -jl
    FWIW, my incoming POP server is:

mail.myurl.com

my account is my e-mail address. I have entered the password I use with my mail server.

My outgoing SMTP server is:

mail.myurl.com

This just works for me.
  5.    #5  
    Weak. I have the same setup and it doesn't work. You rarely meet such a customer-hostile company as Cingular. Run away, potential customers!
    I don't use earthlink but I've read on several occasions here that the SMTP address for earthlink should be: smtpauth.earthlink.net
    Maybe this will help your problem.
    I know you can't use Cingular's server because they don't use an SMTP server and nor does One Touch but you most absoluteley can send email from your treo w/Cingular. I do with my AT&T Broadband account.
  7.    #7  
    Thanks for the suggestion. I just tried that SMTP server. It prompts me and asks if it's OK to send a username and password from the POP settings. Then it gives me an error saying that the login failed: incorrect authentication data.

Thanks again for your help, -jl
    Maybe this link will help you:

http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/ps.../7280.psc.html
    and check out the last post in this thread:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/tc...k&pagenumber=2
    Last edited by millerhifi; 01/29/2003 at 05:50 PM.
  9.    #9  
    That did it! Thank you very much.
    Cool!