webOS Nation Forums >  Carrier Discussion >  North American Carriers (GSM) > 4G Is NOT Necessarily LTE
4G Is NOT Necessarily LTE
Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By HelloNNNewman

Old 09/04/2012, 12:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Tazmorator

About 1-1/2 years ago I switched to Verizon because I was getting LTE out at my house and down at my office.

I was watching TV last night and an ATT commercial came on saying they had the Nations Largest 4G Network.

I went to ATT's site and looked at their Coverage maps showing their LTE coverage, and thought; what the heck!
They hardly have any LTE coverage.
Then I remembered they are talking about their 4G not LTE.
Old 09/12/2012, 01:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

About 1-1/2 years ago I switched to Verizon because I was getting LTE out at my house and down at my office.

I was watching TV last night and an ATT commercial came on saying they had the Nations Largest 4G Network.

I went to ATT's site and looked at their Coverage maps showing their LTE coverage, and thought; what the heck!
I was reading an article (can't remember where now) was that AT&T was rolling out a ton of new LTE markets, and getting closer to VZW's numbers.
webos_ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 03:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

In webOS land that does us no good because even the Verizon Pre 3 is just 3G, at least with my at&t Pre 3 I get faux G which is actually not that bad (the main reason why I went with the at&t version over the Verizon one). But in the near future maybe we can load some Open webOS awesomeness on some new state of art LTE smartphone That would be cool.
netwrkr9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/12/2012, 04:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webos_ftw View Post
I was reading an article (can't remember where now) was that AT&T was rolling out a ton of new LTE markets, and getting closer to VZW's numbers.
still sparse here in nor-cal, only in the bay area.... and as was said, means nothing for current webOS users.
I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
OldSkoolVWLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09/13/2012, 11:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Doesn't matter anyway. LTE is technically 3.9G, as it is afterall "Long Term Evolution" towards 4G.
bassman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 02:01 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post

thought i'd update this thread in case anyone searches later:

ATT Pre 3's are HSPA+ capable. On T-Mo's new 1900 rollout of their faux-G in Atlanta, I'm getting 5-9Mbps downloads.

meanwhile, ATT's LTE devices get 20Mbps. a significant difference. (haven't tried the Pre3 on ATT yet to see what their HSPA+ speeds are)

no comment on whether HSPA+ is 3.5G and LTE is 3.9G. or there is no true 4th generation technology, vs. 4th generation of speed capabilities.
TJs11thPre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11/21/2012, 02:32 AM   #7 (permalink)

I was talking to our IT chief today about this (company updating phones) and he said that right now LTE isn't about what the speed is currently, but more about what it is capable of in the future.

Network Moderator | Mobile Nations Rules
HelloNNNewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked by berdinkerdickle and OldSkoolVWLover like this.
Old 11/21/2012, 04:53 PM   #8 (permalink)

Just for fun reference: 4G - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0