1.    #1  
    Anyone else having problems making and maintaining GRPS connections in manhattan with T-Mobile?

I'm getting VERY frsutrated. Anyone else in NYC with T-Mobile having problems? I am still using upgrade 1.1. Do you think going to 1.1.1 might make a difference?
    I spent two days in December at JFK (12/24 and 12/30) and spent 6 hours solid on my Treo using various GPRS (T-Mo)features to keep me busy both days. While I know that's not exactly midtown, shouldn't be a big coverage difference. I have the 1.1 upgrade, btw.
  3.    #3  
    I've had gprs working well for quite a while. This seems to be a problem specifically over the past few days/week. Not sure if it's the treo, or t-mobile.
    I've been very disappointed with my experience in Manhattan where I work as well as downtown Brooklyn where I live. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, often from the same location. Plus my Treo frequently crashes when I have a GPRS connection. I'm considering dropping it.

My experience at various airports in NYC and around the country is consistently better, by the way, so you can't compare JFK with an urban environment.
    I've noticed that T-Mobile's GPRS services have been erratic over the last month or two in Boston (where I live), New York and Washington. During the second-of-last week of December, which I spent in DC, GPRS didn't work at all for six out of seven days... and it wasn't strictly a treo problem, because my backup phone (a Samsung S105) was also unable to make a GPRS connection. When it is running, I often have to disconnect and reconnect two or three times before I get a working GPRS link.

Worse, when GPRS service isn't working right my Treo 180 becomes unstable. During that week in Washington I had to reset the thing six or seven times a day. It eventually became completely intolerable, and I had to switch to my backup phone until things settled down.

For what it's worth, it seems that the stability problem is improved somewhat if I turn off automatic updates on Treomail.

--Larry
    <I>Do not attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.</I>
  6.    #6  
    so than it's probably a t-mo problem and not a treo problem...
    I'm in manhattan. GPRS works fine, I have the latest upgrade. Only thing is sometimes when I lose the connection, I have to turn wireless mode off, then on. Or connect through network preferences.

ajay
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by bigdaddyajay
    I'm in manhattan. GPRS works fine, I have the latest upgrade. Only thing is sometimes when I lose the connection, I have to turn wireless mode off, then on. Or connect through network preferences.

ajay
    how often do you lose the connection?
    I get the disconnect on GPRS too (I'm in New York City). I have to sometimes turn wireless mode off and then on again. Since the PalmOS doesn't multitask, this means a minute or two of looking at dialog boxes before you can switch programs or even turn the Treo off.
    So I wouldn't say it works fine, it is a problem, especially for a service I'm paying for.
  10.    #10  
    Originally posted by DrewG
    I get the disconnect on GPRS too (I'm in New York City). I have to sometimes turn wireless mode off and then on again. Since the PalmOS doesn't multitask, this means a minute or two of looking at dialog boxes before you can switch programs or even turn the Treo off.
    So I wouldn't say it works fine, it is a problem, especially for a service I'm paying for.
    yeah - it's getting rediculous. Can anyone in NYC hold a GPRS connection overnight? I can't. I can't even hold it for a few hours if I don't use it.

Do you think this is a phone issue or a T-mo issue?
    Originally posted by bigmdime

how often do you lose the connection?
    Yea, I definitely don't hold connection overnight. I lose it every couple hours. Doesn't bother me too much, it's gotta be way too much stress on the T-mo network. They don't have the best phone service in the city either, by far....

Was in a bar in manhattan last nite, and my treo wouldn't even work. Had to go outside to use it. Still no one else at the bar could check their email

ajay
    Originally posted by bigmdime

yeah - it's getting rediculous. Can anyone in NYC hold a GPRS connection overnight? I can't. I can't even hold it for a few hours if I don't use it.
    I've also lost GPRS connection *while* playing on the web. So even if I am in the middle of using it, you can just randomly lose connection.
  13.    #13  
    Originally posted by bigdaddyajay

Yea, I definitely don't hold connection overnight. I lose it every couple hours. Doesn't bother me too much, it's gotta be way too much stress on the T-mo network. They don't have the best phone service in the city either, by far....

Was in a bar in manhattan last nite, and my treo wouldn't even work. Had to go outside to use it. Still no one else at the bar could check their email

ajay
    So you think it's a t-mobile issue - not a handspring issue...
  14.    #14  
    for the record - the past few days have seen some VASTLY improved connectivity in manhattan for me.

Anyone else?
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I have had several long conversations with T-Mobile techs about GPRS. The one thing they mention consistently is that if you are having trouble in a specific location, call them and report it. Every day, till it works... seems excessive, but I did this in South Alexandria, and today I have used GPRS all afternoon with good results. In fact, I am connected right now with an Aircard 750 and an HP Jornda 720c. Call often, 611, it's free from a T-Mobile handset, and when they get enough complaints from a specific location they go check things out and get it fixed!