1.    #1  
    Well, how many months do we have to wait for Cingular to get it's GPRS act together. Why they can't just ship the software is completely beyond me. And if you want to send them an email to ask about it, don't even try. They got rid of the "email us" link on their website! I searched for 1/2 an hour and couldn't find it.

I guess that's one way to stop hearing from whiny customers. Here's another: they switch to T-Mobile.
    Originally posted by synthetic
    Here's another: they switch to T-Mobile.
    I hear you. Made that switch January 3. Much better, though T-M has its own problems.
    Synthetic,

I felt the same way although I've been with Cingular/Pac Bell in the SF bay area for years and have never had a problem. I just went ahead and performed the 1.1 upgrade and couldn't be happier (after getting my account configured correctly!) Figuring out the right tech person to talk to was the key. GPRS is there - you just have to take it, not wait for it. It's up to you though.

Don
    Hey Don C,

I'm in the bay like you and pay the base $39.99 for 500 anytime minutes. How much more is the GPRS data services? Also, have you tried the GPRS outside the bay?
    Wireless Internet Express is:

$6.99 for 1MB
    $14.99 for 3MB
    $29.99 for 7MB
    $49.99 for 13MB
    I did the upgrade to 1.1.1 and have been using it with Cingular since around Thanksgiving. I am underwhelmed with GPRS, although I do appreciate the feature improvements on the phone.

My experience with GPRS is that:

-it is often quirky to log into...often times out rather than connecting

-disconnects when the cell signal is lost or grows stale frequently so I do not get much benefit from "always on" in the urban canyons of SF

-does not seem to be noticeably faster in most situations due to relatively transfer files, etc.

I was able to create my own new custom GPRS network profile using the fallback option so that if GPRS fails then it reverts back to Wireless Internet by itself and tries again. This helps a little.

I did not want to risk being out of warranty during the upgrade but I did not want to change cell phone numbers, so I "temporarily" became a T-Mobile customer (getting a sim card and all that) without giving up my Cingular number. After a successful upgrade as a T-Mobile customer I put the Cingular card back in and reverted to my prior number. Voila it worked just fine. I cancelled the T-Mobile account within the authorized cancellation period, so the whole exercise did not cost me much in $. I looked at it as a fairly low cost insurance policy against an upgrade mishap, and the way I use the phone I knew a mute button and the speaker phone improvements alone would be worth the hassle (not to mention echo cancellation, etc).
  7.    #7  
    I decided to install the pirate Cingular update. Everything seemed to go well, then I hotsynced and I get no data on my phone. The phone works fine, but all of my to-dos, addresses, appointments and notepad notes are missing. If I launch Palm Desktop they're still there. Well, if I launch Palm Desktop on MacOS X. If I launch Palm Desktop for MacOS 9 it can't open my User Data file.

Any ideas? The Info screen tells me I have Palm OS 3.5.2H5.6 installed, is this correct? Can I copy the user data to a new user and try syncing that way? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, -jl
    have you tried a hard reset?

I too did the hacked upgrade and have not had any major problems with Cingular GPRS. Aside from the short term outages that Millerhifi and I reported around thanksgiving, the service has been solid.

I too wake up every morning and check to see if cingular has "officially" launched this service, but the reality of it is I already have it.

As far as cingular goes, I've been very happy. their new rollover rate plans seem to be saving me a bit of money, and although they dont support it, their GPRS does work
    Originally posted by TheDudeG4
    have you tried a hard reset?

I too did the hacked upgrade and have not had any major problems with Cingular GPRS. Aside from the short term outages that Millerhifi and I reported around thanksgiving, the service has been solid.

I too wake up every morning and check to see if cingular has "officially" launched this service, but the reality of it is I already have it.

As far as cingular goes, I've been very happy. their new rollover rate plans seem to be saving me a bit of money, and although they dont support it, their GPRS does work
    I agree!
    Why wait til it's supported when it works just fine now.
    The best part about it and probably why they aren't supporting it yet is the fact that they can't track the amount of data used very well! Works to our benefit!!
    synthetic,
    I'd like to help you out but not being a MAC user I'm not sure what exactly is happening that's wrong with your hotsyncing, sorry.
  10.    #10  
    I finally figured it out. There's a hotsync setting called "Macintosh overwrites handheld". But you can't get to it from the OSX Hotsync menu, you need to launch Palm Desktop and find it in the Hotsync menu.

So the update seems to be working. I mainly got it for the echo reduction, it was driving everyone crazy. I'll try signing up for GPRS and see if that works. Thanks for your help, -jl
    FWIW, I have been unofficially using Cingular GPRS for months. Their service is spotty, and in the SF Bay Area has been unavailable the past few days. I called Cingular Tech Support today, and let slip that I was using a Treo. After she told me that a Treo would not yet work on Cingular GPRS, she said that they would support it on or around the 6th or 7th of this month. I'll believe it when I see it.