1.    #1  
    This may have been covered already, but I thought I'd ask since it's been a while since the Hiptop/Sidekick came out.

Has anyone had any luck buying a T-Mobile Sidekick and signing up for the plan ($39, unlimited data) and then taking the SIM card and using it on a Treo instead? Does it work?
  2.    #2  
    Surely someone has tried this...
    I think T-mobile has setup servers just for Sidekicks to get internet access. So when you sign up for the Sidekick plan you are allowed unlimited access through these servers. Sidekicks are very server dependant. I read in the dangerinfo.com forums that without GPRS you can't even get into your contact list for phone numbers.

Treos need access to a different server (gateway) to get access to the internet. I think the address for this is internet2.voicestream.com(?).

Putting in a Sidekick sim card into a Treo would probably give the Treo unlimited access to the Sidekick specific server(s). Treos arent' designed to use these proprietary servers so most likely the outcome will be no internet access. I'm sure voice will work fine and GPRS will connect but I highly doubt any data will go through.

Sorry, I'm not great at explaining things. I hope someone can prove me wrong and say they got unlimited data on Treo with sidekick plan. But, i wouldn't get my hopes up.
    You are just trying to pull one over on T-mobile and take advantage of a product not meant for the Treo.

I am just joking, I read your thread over on howardforums and thought I would give you a hard time. They were a little touchy over there for some odd reason. I agree with you, if the sidekick gets it, it's only fair that the Treo should too.
  5.    #5  
    Originally posted by Appleman
    You are just trying to pull one over on T-mobile and take advantage of a product not meant for the Treo.

I am just joking, I read your thread over on howardforums and thought I would give you a hard time. They were a little touchy over there for some odd reason. I agree with you, if the sidekick gets it, it's only fair that the Treo should too.
    LOL thanks. I don't know what's up with that guy over there. He must work in marketing for T-Mobile or Danger or something.

Definitely touched a nerve! I felt like telling him to remove his nose from T-mobile's **** before posting again.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I asked about this at the Data Conference today. The Sidekick uses its own APN and your sim card is specially provisoned for access. Sidekicks do everything through a proprietary Danger server system. That system is completely incompatible with the Treo. Hope this answers the question, as I was curious about this too.
  7.    #7  
    Originally posted by z3bum
    I asked about this at the Data Conference today. The Sidekick uses its own APN and your sim card is specially provisoned for access. Sidekicks do everything through a proprietary Danger server system. That system is completely incompatible with the Treo. Hope this answers the question, as I was curious about this too.
    The information you have provided suggests to me that it might work, rather than showing that it won't.

Think about it - I don't want to access the Sidekick's APN, I want to access the regular one. Treo lets me put in any APN I want. T-Mobile just bills me based on the plan I'm signed up for, they have no idea what device the subscribed SIM is in.

As to the Treo not being compatible with Danger's servers... no biggie, right? Not planning on using those servers anyway!

Think I'm going to try it, anyone know T-Mobile's return policy?