1.    #1  
    In wonder what the difference is between GPRS 1.1 and 1.1.1. The upgrade from basic Treo270 to GPRS1.0 and then to GPRS1.1 was not entirely smooth (due to my own doing) and I will consider upgrading to GPRS1.1.1 only if the additional features compared with GPRS1.1 are significant. The designation of 1.1.1 seems to indicate not.

Does anyone know what the improvements are? The link provided a little further up by Acient_One http://www.handspringaustralia.com/GPRS/index.asp does not specify the differences.

Thanks
    From what I understood the 1.1.1 upgrade was for T-Mobile users. All it did was customize settings related to T-Mobile. A lot of people even complained because it adds a T-mobile jingle as the default ringtone. Then when you reset your device, it defaults back to that jingle.

metsfan on here even wrote a little program to prevent that from happening.

So, I don't think you will gain anything by doing it.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the comment Appleman. True to the nature of a techfreak, I couldn't wait and went ahead with the upgrade anyway.

As was with the previous upgrades, mostly went well with only a few irritating issues to solve.

Interesting to note that my chosen ring tone was not affected and with soft resets stayed with my chosen tone. I'm using a Treo 270 though.

Also a few connection and call quality issues seems to have been resolved. But I can't be sure at this time. I'll report my conclusions in a few days. Overall at this time, I glad I upgraded.
    I recently bought a Treo 180 in Sweden. I didn't see the "International" link on Handspring US's site. So I downloaded the International GPRS Updater ver 1.1.
    It couldn't access Comviq (Swedish GSM provider) by GPRS.
    After finally reinstalling the Updater, but with version no 1.1.1, GPRS did connect but I couldn't surf with it: "Blazer could not complete the page download. Please try again later". (Dial-up still worked though.)
    I thought it had to do with Comviq (my GSM provider) not offering modem use with my prepaid cash account (Comviq kontant).
    But today suddenly it worked! For a while. Apparently it's an signal strengh issue because it happend while I was surfing.

I'm a little bit dissapointed Handspring don't even have an agency in Sweden. They haven't spoken to the phone companies. Comviq don't know of Treo it doesn't appear in their lists over compatible mobile phones.
    Last edited by MaDub; 01/27/2003 at 01:45 PM.
    Originally posted by Appleman
    From what I understood the 1.1.1 upgrade was for T-Mobile users. All it did was customize settings related to T-Mobile. A lot of people even complained because it adds a T-mobile jingle as the default ringtone. Then when you reset your device, it defaults back to that jingle.

metsfan on here even wrote a little program to prevent that from happening.

So, I don't think you will gain anything by doing it.
    My warranty replacement Treo came with 1.1.1. I'm a Cingular customer... I don't have the ringtone problem so it must be tied to the provider not the 1.1.1 software.
    I just bought a new Treo 180 with GPRS. How can I check which version I have? It works fairly well, but it has some problems with connections, for instance sometimes it keeps trying to open GPRS if wireless is off and gets hung up, requiring a reset.
  7.    #7  
    Sometimes when the GPRS signal is bad (I think) the handshaking seems to take quite a while - up to 2 minutes or so during which the Treo stops functioning. If you just wait, the Treo will unlock itself and you can continue using it without a reset.

Also you can check the GPRS version and more in the menu: PhoneBook/Phone Preferences/Phone Info.

Mine says:
    Firmware Rev: 534b09gg.3
    Software Rev: 3.5.2H5.7
    Product Rev: GPRS 1.1.1

I wonder if this is the latest?
    I downloaded the GPRS update a few months ago and have been using it with Cingular without too many problems.

Is the recently approved cinglular version of GPRS any higher than 1.1.1 - or is the same as what I got a few months ago (I think I got the Singapore version... it says rev. 1.1.1)?
    I think Cingular's is 1.1.2. But i suspect that the extra .1 is Cingular custom settings.

Originally posted by AbortRetryFail?
    I downloaded the GPRS update a few months ago and have been using it with Cingular without too many problems.

Is the recently approved cinglular version of GPRS any higher than 1.1.1 - or is the same as what I got a few months ago (I think I got the Singapore version... it says rev. 1.1.1)?
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    In the fine print of Handspring's web site, under some details about GPRS updaters, it specifically states that the only difference between updater revs is the vendor specific stuff, and that there are no bug fixes, feature changes or the like. I flashed my T180 and T270 with the 1.1 updater and have used it with Cingular for about 4 months. I have no plans to do the dance again with the Cingular 1.1.2 package.