Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
  1.    #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelkriss View Post
    I don't know if this has been mentioned recently, but I had been getting really poor data speeds .09-.22 Mb/s on both my Pre 3 and Veer on Straight Talk.
    I emailed Straight Talk's Customer Service and within 3 minutes they had called me. Long story short I shared with them my problem and apparently there was a "flag" on my account and my data was off/throttled. The CSR then told me that the "unlimited" was not "unlimited" (which I knew, it's still amusing to try and hear them explain it)
    She then went on to inform me that there is a 1.5GB per 30 days cap on data. I have heard a lot of numbers thrown out but this one was new to me. Just thought I would pass that info on.
    Very good investigative work. Thank you for posting this...

A follow up question: Do you have an AT&T compaible SIM or a T-Mo compatible?

Reports are now coming in that T-Mo compatible is a bit more forgiving on data limits. Seems ST wants to shift off AT&T. I'm not ready to switch over. In my area T-Mo only gives EDGE on the 1900 MHz band.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Very good investigative work. Thank you for posting this...

A follow up question: Do you have an AT&T compaible SIM or a T-Mo compatible?

Reports are now coming in that T-Mo compatible is a bit more forgiving on data limits. Seems ST wants to shift off AT&T. I'm not ready to switch over. In my area T-Mo only gives EDGE on the 1900 MHz band.
    Shifting? They've dumped AT&T. If you want an AT&T card you have to hunt for them online for places (Wal-Mart) that still have some in stock. I'd be surprised if they even have AT&T service in 6 months. It's all T-Mobile for America Movil going forward: Simple Mobile, Tracfone, Net 10 & Straight Talk.
    Did anybody see this PC Mag commentary? I'd be interested to read your reactions:
    How Straight Talk's TOS Makes Most iPhone Users Criminals | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
  4.    #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
    Shifting? They've dumped AT&T. If you want an AT&T card you have to hunt for them online for places (Wal-Mart) that still have some in stock. I'd be surprised if they even have AT&T service in 6 months. It's all T-Mobile for America Movil going forward: Simple Mobile, Tracfone, Net 10 & Straight Talk.
    They still have them with some phones. The Nokia E5-00 I got in January came with an ATT compatible SIM... But I do see your point.

However, if they force everyone to T-Mo who isn't in a refarmed area and all they can get is EDGE... That would cause a lot of people to walk away.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  5.    #105  
    Quote Originally Posted by 0steve View Post
    Did anybody see this PC Mag commentary? I'd be interested to read your reactions:
    How Straight Talk's TOS Makes Most iPhone Users Criminals | News & Opinion | PCMag.com
    Thanks for bringing this article.

Yep, I knew they were pretty mysterious and restrictive in their Terms of Service. Mostly I think it is an easy out to boot data abusers. It's a bit scary thinking they might boot anyone at any time.

Given this ongoing concern and the move over to T-Mo for SIMs and carrier, I may have to start exploring options soon. One such is T-Mo's own prepaid plans. Problem is I have only one phone (out of 6) with H+ on the 1700 band: a Galaxy Nexus. I am not going Android or iOS for a daily driver...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  6.    #106  
    ST is really starting to grate my cheese here...

Last month I used a fair bit of data and they slowed me down... That was the first time I'd noticed a data speed slow down and, in light of recent developments we've heard about in the above posts, it was not a total surprise. However, this month I've hardly used much (maybe 125 MB or so) and now with just a few days left until renewal things are crawling again.

Guess they think it will force people off the AT&T style SIM and onto the T-Mobile style.

Guess again.

I'm thinking of switching off them all together. Their recent moves of switching to EDGE only (for most of the country) T-Mo for 1900 MHz phones and the adoption of CDMA devices seems to leave those people they lured in with the "Bring Your Own Phone" plan out in the cold. I'm not paying $45 a month to be a second class customer.

Looking at options, it seems T-Mobile might get my business and that stinks because it would force me to flash Jelly Bean on the GNex to get usable data speed and my webOS phones then become toys.

Mobile Nations Devotee
  7.    #107  
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a deal with T-Mo.

So long ST and thanks for all the fish!!!
    T-Mobile data speeds I. My area on edge are around 300bps

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a deal with T-Mo.

So long ST and thanks for all the fish!!!
    *gasp!*

For realsies? For the most part I'm still singing along on my AT&T SIM. Only strange thing I've noticed is that sometimes it chokes on x.facebook.com for whatever reason, but all other sites are fine. Not sure if a FB issue or not (since they have been tinkering with the page lately).

Also, are you sure T-Mo H+ isn't 1900 MHz in your area? From what I understand, they're done converting at this point. So anywhere they've got 1900 MHz spectrum should be up to H+ now. YMMV?

And was there supposed to be a sarcmark on that "not a second class citizen for $45/mo?"
  10.    #110  
    I did try the GF's T-Mo SIM in my Veer... Just gave me EDGE speed.

But I was crawling at the end of the billing cycle on ST for the last two months. Like hitting the manual refresh on my email and waiting almost 3 minutes for it to finish refreshing.

The GNex is lighting up solid H+ right now and I credit that to the 1700 MHz band. If you look at the refarm sighting map (Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)) there is no way they are complete... I heard it won't be till later this year... T-Mobile upgrades 14 new metro areas to 4G HSPA+ on 1900 MHz band | Android and Me
  11.    #111  
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    T-Mobile data speeds I. My area on edge are around 300bps

-- Sent from my TouchPad using Communities
    That's why I'm not settling for EDGE.

Last night I used the Speedtest.net App and hit the following marks:

Download...............Upload...............Ping
    9.77 mbps...............2.23 mbps........104 ms
    7.65 mbps...............2.05 mbps...........99 ms
    10.75 mbps.............2.13 mbps...........86 ms
    ananimus likes this.
    I'm in San Jose and still getting decent 4G performance on the AT&T network. Ranging from 4-7Mbps on the download side. I try to use Wifi when not mobile. I'm definitely not streaming movies and only tether occasionally as necessary (you're not supposed to tether).

I doubt if we'll be seeing any more AT&T sims coming out of ST. We're hosed if we get forced on to T-Mobile since our Pre 3 hardware will not get HSPA+ with backhaul on their network.

Overall I'm very satisfied with ST. I know many are not, but I've had good experiences thus far. I've been on the service for 2.5 months.
    Naw, T-mo has decent HSPA+ in the Bay Area, and on 1900 MHz. Reports are that it's faster too.

But yeah. For the national coverage, I'll hang on to this ATT SIM.

Edit: Although you're scratching at 7 Mbps which already peaks out the Pre 3 HSDPA speed (7.2). I typically hover around 3 Mbps on the peninsula.
    Last edited by ananimus; 04/22/2013 at 09:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Naw, T-mo has decent HSPA+ in the Bay Area, and on 1900 MHz. Reports are that it's faster too.

But yeah. For the national coverage, I'll hang on to this ATT SIM.

Edit: Although you're scratching at 7 Mbps which already peaks out the Pre 3 HSDPA speed (7.2). I typically hover around 3 Mbps on the peninsula.
    I guess we're lucky. We won't get these speeds however on T-Mobile because of the hardware compatibility for 4G.
    I'll report it again here, but for some reason I wasn't getting picture messages (ST AT&T).

First noticed the problem over a week ago when I tried to send a pic and it wouldn't go. Shrugged it off then.

A few days ago a friend said she'd sent me some over the weekend, never got those either.

Now tried to send myself a message. Wouldn't send. Opened MMS APN settings, still correct. Edited them to the same values that were already set, "Save Anyway," and then I was able to send and receive MMS to myself again.

And that sucks, because I didn't receive any of the ones I missed. Including one my brother was going to send me when he got to Buenos Aires.

Edit: As reported elsewhere, this is a known issue. Simply cycling Airplane Mode periodically also refreshes the MMS connection. This is not webOS unique as the same problem is seen on Android with ST.
    Last edited by ananimus; 05/23/2013 at 10:35 AM.
    Still using this thread as a ST dumping ground...

AT&T SIMs are now available again. Didn't verify, but if RumoredNow says it ((http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3399331)), that's good enough for me!

Also recently looked at "buying direct" since T-Mo has prepaid and AT&T just rolled out Aio:
    Cell Phone Plans and Features | No Contract Cell Phone Plans with Unlimited Data | Aio Wireless

Aio's (AT&T) unlimited [stuff] + 2GB of high speed data = $55/mo.
    T-Mobile Prepaid unlimited [stuff] + 2.5 GB high speed = $60/mo.
    Straight Talk "Unlimited" = $45

And still, through ST, if you get $135 3-month refills direct through Walmart online, it's tax free in many states, making the total $42/mo for ST. So if you're willing to have even worse support than you get from the Big Four, ST is still somehow the better deal.
  17.    #117  
    Quote Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
    Still using this thread as a ST dumping ground...

AT&T SIMs are now available again. Didn't verify, but if RumoredNow says it ((http://forums.webosnation.com/other-...ml#post3399331)), that's good enough for me!

Also recently looked at "buying direct" since T-Mo has prepaid and AT&T just rolled out Aio:
    Cell Phone Plans and Features | No Contract Cell Phone Plans with Unlimited Data | Aio Wireless

Aio's (AT&T) unlimited [stuff] + 2GB of high speed data = $55/mo.
    T-Mobile Prepaid unlimited [stuff] + 2.5 GB high speed = $60/mo.
    Straight Talk "Unlimited" = $45

And still, through ST, if you get $135 3-month refills direct through Walmart online, it's tax free in many states, making the total $42/mo for ST. So if you're willing to have even worse support than you get from the Big Four, ST is still somehow the better deal.

Rumor has it that along with AT&T releasing SIMs to Straight Talk, there is also a new "soft" data cap of 1.5 GB per month on a ST/ATT SIM.

Straight Talk is currently being sued over their vague, unclear policies. They will only tell consumer's "Unlimited" while having shifting, unspecified data use policies that seem to be applied unevenly depending on which network you piggy-back on.

I love the coverage on AT&T's towers, but they are expensive. Due to congestion they really watch data use on mvno's. You end up stuck between a rock and a hard place. Great price - vs - Dependable data use.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
    Yeah, there's truthiness all over what you say. I still find my AT&T ST SIM perfectly usable, but I was also at 2 GB/mo before switching to ST and slightly adjusted habits (remember to use wifi at home/work) once I switched. Probably float around 1 GB now. (Do I really need to download all my podcasts on the road?)

In that use case they're still a darn fine deal. Even if they totally wrongly advertise "everything" for $45 - $42/mo, I never expected it. Be curious to see how it finally plays out though.
    I just made the leap from AT&T to straight talk yesterday. Moved my wife's iPhone and my pre3 to ST. Transition was smooth, and saving $81 a month comapred to what I was paying AT&T so I shall see how it goes, right now, it seem perfect, I haven't noticed any difference at all...

I'll keep you posted if they give me trouble...
    ananimus likes this.
  20.    #120  
    From Jerry over at AC...

Straight Talk now offering LTE with AT&T compatible SIMs.

Color me dubious, but there it is.

Straight Talk now offering AT&T LTE with supported phones | Android Central

Mobile Nations Devotee
    ananimus likes this.
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast