webOS Nation Forums >  Carrier Discussion >  North American Carriers (GSM) > Straight Talk About Straight Talk
Straight Talk About Straight Talk
Like Tree22Likes

Old 01/14/2013, 10:28 PM   #81 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
I believe if you tell Straight Talk that your phone is an AT&T phone, they will send you an AT&T compatible SIM. When placing the order for the SIM they ask whether your phone is AT&T, T-Mobile, or Unlocked GSM. There's no wording at all saying that if it's an AT&T phone that it has to be unlocked.

The exact wording is:
Yes, thanks, just saw that myself also! Now which to try 1st the unlocked Pre 2 or the Pre 3? I think the unlocked Pre 2 might have a full compatibility issue, gonna have to check the network compatibility issue. Pre 3 should be good to go.

ANYONE HAVE ANY COUPON CODES OR LINKS? Looks like ya gotta buy a $14.99 sim plus the $45 per month. Any taxes or shipping fees???
LibertyAndJustice4All is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/15/2013, 02:58 PM   #82 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyAndJustice4All View Post
I have a few new in the box webos phones...

1) GSM Unlocked Pre 2

2) GSM AT&T Pre 3

I have a couple of ?'s I need help with. Do I need to obtain some kind of unlock code from AT&T to use the Pre 3 on Strait Talk or T-Mobile? Any advice for me in terms of functionality on ST for the Pre 2 & The Pre 3? Does one work better than the other on ST? On T-Mobile??? Any advice?
I got a SIM from ST based on a GSM unlocked Pre2.

Then I got my hands on an AT&T Veer. I went through Dogbert's unlock method and tested it with a T-Mo SIM before using my ST SIM. A side conversation with Dogbert revealed that the unlock may not have been needed for ST at all. But the unlock isn't hard and has a side benefit of unlocking USB Passthrough (useful for USB tethering ).

The benefit for you would be with Pre 3 as the ST SIM allows H+ and Pre 3 would be faster data.

A problem with T-Mo is their frequencies... In a lot of areas they have H+ on the 1700 band and so your Pre 2/3 would be stuck on EDGE speed. That is changing as they refarm H+ to the 1900 band to make room for LTE on 1700. Check T-Mo chatter to find out where your area is at.

<edit> Wait a cotton picking minute... I just looked at some side by side. Is that right? Pre 3 has the same 7.2 mbs speed for HSDPA as Pre 2 has???

Can that be true?

I mean Veer got a bump up to 14 mbs and I see a big difference in data speed over Pre 2...

Is Pre 3 no faster data-wise than Pre 2???

RumoredNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: LibertyAndJustice4All
Old 01/15/2013, 03:02 PM   #83 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyAndJustice4All View Post
Yes, thanks, just saw that myself also! Now which to try 1st the unlocked Pre 2 or the Pre 3? I think the unlocked Pre 2 might have a full compatibility issue, gonna have to check the network compatibility issue. Pre 3 should be good to go.

ANYONE HAVE ANY COUPON CODES OR LINKS? Looks like ya gotta buy a $14.99 sim plus the $45 per month. Any taxes or shipping fees???
Unlocked Pre 2 or AT&T Pre 3 would be the same... Each will work off the same SIM. You just have to configure APN/MMS as directed with the enclosed directions that come with the SIM.

My unlocked Pre 2 does everything on Straight Talk. Voice, internet, SMS, MMS, GPS. No compatibility issues once it's configured.

The only deal you can usually get for the SIM is free shipping and that should already be on the site when you start the order process.
Old 01/15/2013, 03:25 PM   #84 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Want to try Symbian???

I did. I have my eye on the Nokia E7-00, but at $250 used it is hard to justify the cost without knowing more...

Straight Talk to the rescue...

They have BNIB Nokia E5-00 for $80. You also have to purchase a $45/month refill with it. No wasted money as the refill just goes into the reserve for your existing ST phone #.

It is not a touch screen phone. It's a full QWERTY candy bar form factor that works with a d-pad and buttons. Sort of like a Treo or a Windows Mobile...

I have found it to be very feature rich and pretty easy to get used to. I've had it about a week now. You can get Opera Mobile for a browser and it has Flash Lite support. There are about the same number of Apps in the OVI store as there are in the HP App Catalog.

Best part, IMHO, is the free for life Nokia Maps with turn by turn voice navigation. It works pretty solid and with no hassles during set up.

The E5 has a built in FM radio receiver, comes with a 4GB micro SD.

When you get the phone you have to activate it with the included SIM and port your existing phone # over. I did this, then tested the new SIM by swapping it into my Veer and it still works with my webOS phones. No loss of flexibility for swapping the SIM around between phones.

Now when I go on the road I have the Nokia E5 for navigation and the Veer for tethering...
Old 01/16/2013, 02:16 PM   #85 (permalink)

Thank you RumoredNow, really helpful advice, comments, & input... Just what I was hoping to receive. I have decided to try one 45 ST unlimited plan. I have always been a post paid cell customer & really don't know much about pre paid plans. My preliminary research indicates that for a heavy user like myself, that ST BYOP plans are a good alternative to a well constructed post paid plan. I do have a Palm profile that I used occasionally on an old Pre, but I just disconnected that a few weeks ago. If I wanted to use my old Palm profile on the new Pre 3 & set up a new profile to use for the Pre 2, can I do that using the same ST sim card??? Thanks again, I gotta run!!!

Peace
Old 01/17/2013, 12:44 PM   #86 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Absolutely...

The old Palm Profile will attach to the Pre 3. That should be no problem. It gets you any App Catalog apps from the old phone sent to the new phone, but not homebrew. You also get all your contacts, calendar, etc restored from the cloud.

Then when you swap the SIM into the Pre 2 it goes through the Palm Profile set up again. You can start a new profile.

The profile attaches to the IMEI of the phone, not the phone # or the SIM.

I have different profiles for each of my webOS phones and have swapped the SIM between them many times.
Old 01/17/2013, 04:04 PM   #87 (permalink)

Just one thing, if you sign to your profile on a new phone the old one will tell you that it is no longer connected to the account and go through an erase apps and data procedure by itself.

This will happen the moment the old phone connects to Internet. It can be through cell data or wifi.

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

Owner of: Pre Sprint, Pre Telcel, Pre Plus AT&T, Pre 2 Unlocked, Pixi Plus AT&T, and 2 TouchPads (my Pre3 was stolen so it won't appear again here).
Needs: Veer (anyone?)
Apps: Subnet Calculator, FreeCam, PhotoFun, NuttyPad (work in progress)
HomeBrew: meta-doctor and Messaging Plugins collaborator
Twitter: @cesarneg
NuttyBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01/18/2013, 12:43 PM   #88 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
I got a SIM from ST based on a GSM unlocked Pre2.

The benefit for you would be with Pre 3 as the ST SIM allows H+ and Pre 3 would be faster data.

<edit> Wait a cotton picking minute... I just looked at some side by side. Is that right? Pre 3 has the same 7.2 mbs speed for HSDPA as Pre 2 has???

Can that be true?

I mean Veer got a bump up to 14 mbs and I see a big difference in data speed over Pre 2...

Is Pre 3 no faster data-wise than Pre 2???

Does anyone know which webOS phone has the fastest data speeds on Strait Talk??? Clearly the Pre 3 was never officially released here in the States, but wasn't it officially released in the UK or France or somewhere before LEO killed webOS??? Did HP just not finish the development cycle for the Pre 3??? IS THE AT&T VEER TWICE AS FAST AS THE AT&T PRE 3? If you are correct I am going to be so
Old 01/18/2013, 01:04 PM   #89 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

I would not say twice as fast, but my Veer is most noticeably faster than Pre 2 on ST.

Walmart has BNIB Veer (Unlocked) in stock. Reports from this board are that they are the Panda model.

Shop for the HP Palm Veer P160 4g GSM Phone for less at Walmart.com. Save money. Live better.
Old 01/18/2013, 02:23 PM   #90 (permalink)

Got any good pics you can post of your Panda Veer???

The Pre 3 vs. The Veer is the ? @ hand? Are they equally fast or was the Pre 3 never optimized.
Liked by RumoredNow likes this.
Old 01/18/2013, 06:05 PM   #91 (permalink)

Im into my 4th month with ST with my Pre 3 and my first speed test got me 8.52Mps. I have since then only gotten 8.01Mbps 4 times since then. I do however get an average speed of 3-4Mbps daily everywhere I go. The lowest I ever get are 1.5Mbps. I did get 7.52Mbps by the AAA the other day also but I havent been seeing anything past 4Mbps since then. It would seem after my initial ST activation, anything past 4Mbps has been once in a blue moon for me. I do have the AT&T Pre 3 and the AT&T ST Sim. Also Live in South FL. Also I actually use Speedtest.net to do my test rather than any apps (there arent many to use). I Noticed different results using the apps compared to the site (over Wifi) thats why I don't bother. Another thing, sometimes I have run a test and get a crappy speed like 500k, and then hit button to run it again and then I get a proper result.

Really wish Speedtest.net had proper app for webOS though, the generic ones we have arent that great, and the speedtest site runs crappy on our webOS browsers.

I also did a side by side test with my cousins iPhone 4S on ST and my Pre and I actually get better speeds than him. However when we switch to Wifi, he get 20Mbps but my Pre 3 doesnt seem to pass 14Mbps on Wifi. So I guess We have a decent 3G Antenna compared to the iPhone 4S but we have a weaker Wifi Antenna.

Last edited by Rookie4sho; 01/18/2013 at 06:14 PM.
Rookie4sho is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 01/19/2013, 12:38 PM   #92 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Thanks, Rookie...

Sounds like GSM Arena has a typo on their Pre 3 page then. Those are about the results I've gotten with Veer so maybe they are the same HSDPA and HSUPA speeds. I don't think anyone on any network ever gets all their capability data-wise - it's more like a guideline.... *shrug*

@ Liberty

No pics of my Veer, but here are some general shots of Panda Veer (It's the white body model and with the black screen it earns the Panda nickname...)

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget....1305189294.jpg

http://www.boeboer.com/wp-content/up...csOverview.jpg

http://blog.dealrocker.com/wp-conten...P-Veer-4G.jpeg
Old 02/18/2013, 08:20 PM   #93 (permalink)

Sooooo, now that I noticed this thread in RumoredNow's signature, I'll stop spamming my nonsense elsewhere.

Repeating a bit, but to thrown in: Pre 3, AT&T Straight Talk SIM in the Bay Area consistently 1-4 Mbps, depending on time and location. Beats the pants of Sprint 3G I was getting in recent years (150 kbps ). ST FTW.
ananimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/19/2013, 11:45 AM   #94 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
Sooooo, now that I noticed this thread in RumoredNow's signature, I'll stop spamming my nonsense elsewhere.
LOL It is the desire to evangelize that caused me to start this thread.

SPAM away, Brother.

Liked by ananimus likes this.
Old 02/23/2013, 09:17 PM   #95 (permalink)

Uh oh.

So I mostly tuned out this thread over at HoFo since it was getting flooded with people losing their over the shortage of AT&T SIMS on ST:
Ability To Order AT&T Sims Removed From Straight Talk Site

Unfortunate news cropped up from Net10 users somewhere around Page 55, though:
Straight Talk Unlimited Con has finally caught up with them | WONTEK
https://net10data.com/ (See official Net10 notice)

Sort of taking the wontek article with a grain of salt, but perhaps they're finally firming up what the real limits are on ST "unlimited." Looks like AT&T SIM users have a 1.5 GB hammer coming down on them. Indeed, T-Mo users still seem to have less to fear.

Honestly, I'd still be okay with 1.5 GB, so long as it's a cap. It'd actually be great if they'd spell it out finally. Better that they stop me when I reach a certain limit than delete the phone number I've had for years. And heck, that much data with unlimited talk/text still gets me everything I need at a great price. I tend to scratch right at that 1.5 GB number, though.

Edit: And this line from the HoFo thread cracked me up...
Quote:
My god,i think the problem is,everyone in the world is trying to squeeze everything they can get,for their measly $45 a month payement, to the point that its going to screw everyone else!!!!

Turn on your wifi! lol
Spoken by a member who admitted to toilet browsing in the same post.

Last edited by ananimus; 02/23/2013 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02/25/2013, 07:41 PM   #96 (permalink)

So does everyone have free access to AT&T wifi, like at Starbucks? Cuz I was please just now when my Pre 3 autoconnected to it when I switched on wifi. (Followed by like three dash notifications saying "Welcome...!")

ATT SIM FTW? Or am I unspecial?
Old 02/26/2013, 07:32 AM   #97 (permalink)

Remember guys, depending on where you live you can get TMO's blazing speed on your devices due to the re-farming. Rookie, I'm also in the 305 and I was on the TMO sim with ST and it was a hoot. Much faster than AT&T but the coverage blows in Kendall. Even though it's Rev. A 3G, I'm happier with the Verizon Pre3 on Page Plus. The coverage is superior and much more stable across the entire region.
fatclue_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02/26/2013, 02:14 PM   #98 (permalink)
pivotCE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananimus View Post
So does everyone have free access to AT&T wifi, like at Starbucks? Cuz I was please just now when my Pre 3 autoconnected to it when I switched on wifi. (Followed by like three dash notifications saying "Welcome...!")

ATT SIM FTW? Or am I unspecial?
I never tried it... Neat trick and one to remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatclue_98 View Post
Remember guys, depending on where you live you can get TMO's blazing speed on your devices due to the re-farming. Rookie, I'm also in the 305 and I was on the TMO sim with ST and it was a hoot. Much faster than AT&T but the coverage blows in Kendall. Even though it's Rev. A 3G, I'm happier with the Verizon Pre3 on Page Plus. The coverage is superior and much more stable across the entire region.
Problem is they ain't re-farming in the farm-lands. The map only shows one blip near where I live and that dude might be growing some of those funny crops...
Old 03/17/2013, 04:07 PM   #99 (permalink)

I don't know if this has been mentioned recently, but I had been getting really poor data speeds .09-.22 Mb/s on both my Pre 3 and Veer on Straight Talk.
I emailed Straight Talk's Customer Service and within 3 minutes they had called me. Long story short I shared with them my problem and apparently there was a "flag" on my account and my data was off/throttled. The CSR then told me that the "unlimited" was not "unlimited" (which I knew, it's still amusing to try and hear them explain it)
She then went on to inform me that there is a 1.5GB per 30 days cap on data. I have heard a lot of numbers thrown out but this one was new to me. Just thought I would pass that info on.
michaelkriss is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: RumoredNow
Old 03/18/2013, 11:50 AM   #100 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkriss View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned recently, but I had been getting really poor data speeds .09-.22 Mb/s on both my Pre 3 and Veer on Straight Talk.
I emailed Straight Talk's Customer Service and within 3 minutes they had called me. Long story short I shared with them my problem and apparently there was a "flag" on my account and my data was off/throttled. The CSR then told me that the "unlimited" was not "unlimited" (which I knew, it's still amusing to try and hear them explain it)
She then went on to inform me that there is a 1.5GB per 30 days cap on data. I have heard a lot of numbers thrown out but this one was new to me. Just thought I would pass that info on.
Ok, talk!
wwbbaa1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0