Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree22Likes
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by creepingmee View Post
    If you have a locked iPhone to at&t you will have to jailbreak it to install a utility to allow you to modify the apn settings. After you do that the iPhone works fine on straight talk. I have set up 2 iPhones a 3gs and a 4 on straight talk....
    From Safari, go to the website unlockit.co.nz, which allows you to create a custom profile on your iphone with your carrier apn settings, including Straight Talk. No jailbreak needed.
    I've done this twice already and did not need to jailbreak the iphones.
    RumoredNow likes this.
  2.    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by mocarey View Post
    From Safari, go to the website unlockit.co.nz, which allows you to create a custom profile on your iphone with your carrier apn settings, including Straight Talk. No jailbreak needed.
    I did just read that Safari for Windows has gone missing from the Apple site...

Fortunately the URL quoted seems to work with other browsers. LOL I was worried it was an Apple only thing.

I just looked at it in Chrome.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee

As far as I know, this is only 1/2 a solution, it gives you data, but no mms. The only way to get mms that I am aware of is the way I had said... Unless somehting has changed recently!?! But I don't think it has..
    In any event, there is no reason to be afraid of jailbreaking, it makes an iphone a much better product.
    Not as good as my pre3 perhaps, but better

As far as I know, this is only 1/2 a solution, it gives you data, but no mms. The only way to get mms that I am aware of is the way I had said... Unless somehting has changed recently!?! But I don't think it has..
    In any event, there is no reason to be afraid of jailbreaking, it makes an iphone a much better product.
    Not as good as my pre3 perhaps, but better
    I'm new to GSM. I've been on Sprint for ~15 years. I've been satisfied with Sprint connectivity where I live (Raleigh) and where I've traveled.

I have a Sprint Pre that's in good shape but the keyboard has become unreliable. I've got an unlocked GSM Pre 2 and I'm deciding between doing the Frankenpre and staying on Sprint for a while longer vs moving to Straight Talk on the Pre 2.

I decided to order a ST SIM and experiment with the Pre 2 on ST. It's still early days but I've yet to see 5 bars around Raleigh. I see lots of 1 and 2 bars. The 3G icon is always up (unless wifi is active). I have not had enough conversations yet but those I've had have been clear and I haven't experienced drops.

There are too many iPhones in Raleigh for AT&T coverage to not be reasonable. Is this perhaps some calibration issue with ST on Pre 2, i.e., the signal is stronger than what's being presented? Have others who've made the switch from CDMA to ST noticed this? Or have others who've made the switch from AT&T to ST noticed any differences?

Any insights are appreciated. I'm not sure what to expect with GSM and the cost savings with ST are nice assuming the quality is good.

Thanks.
  6.    #26  
    Quote Originally Posted by RaleighPalm View Post
    I'm new to GSM. I've been on Sprint for ~15 years. I've been satisfied with Sprint connectivity where I live (Raleigh) and where I've traveled.

I have a Sprint Pre that's in good shape but the keyboard has become unreliable. I've got an unlocked GSM Pre 2 and I'm deciding between doing the Frankenpre and staying on Sprint for a while longer vs moving to Straight Talk on the Pre 2.

I decided to order a ST SIM and experiment with the Pre 2 on ST. It's still early days but I've yet to see 5 bars around Raleigh. I see lots of 1 and 2 bars. The 3G icon is always up (unless wifi is active). I have not had enough conversations yet but those I've had have been clear and I haven't experienced drops.

There are too many iPhones in Raleigh for AT&T coverage to not be reasonable. Is this perhaps some calibration issue with ST on Pre 2, i.e., the signal is stronger than what's being presented? Have others who've made the switch from CDMA to ST noticed this? Or have others who've made the switch from AT&T to ST noticed any differences?

Any insights are appreciated. I'm not sure what to expect with GSM and the cost savings with ST are nice assuming the quality is good.

Thanks.
    I know I've seen 5 bars on my Veer, but that was when I was within 500 yards of a tower that must have been AT&T as I was out in the country and know there wasn't another tower around for miles.

Around my town I get between 2-4 bars most often. Rarely 1 or 5.

I haven't noticed any lack (or even variance) in call quality or data speeds to indicate any wild shifts in service availability/usability.

Previously I was on Virgin Mobile which uses Sprint Towers and I found that coverage to be very spotty when I first moved here (Springfield, MO). Although that was, of course, a non-webOS phone. I think every area is different and only another Raleigh resident can answer your questions to best effect.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    I think every area is different and only another Raleigh resident can answer your questions to best effect.
    That's a very fair comment and I am asking friends here. What I hope to hear is folks who were AT&T moving to ST and they see (1) the same or (2) a drop off.

At present, something doesn't seem right. I have my Pre (Sprint) and Pre 2 (ST) side by side today doing nothing. The Pre is sipping on the battery (95% left) and the Pre 2 is drinking it up (20% left). Perhaps I don't have a the Pre 2 fully tuned yet (and that's another post). But I'm thinking the battery is going to find a signal. Or something.

I've got more to learn before I commit to ST on the Pre 2 here. Thanks.

-----

July 27 - OK, I'm seeing (too) many threads about battery performance and the Pre 2. I've got more to learn about the Pre 2.

---

July 28 - Added uberkernel, patches, and completed some light tuning. Pre 2 battery *much* better today. I'll keep further posts in this forum ST-focused.
    Last edited by RaleighPalm; 07/29/2012 at 03:28 PM. Reason: added update about Pre 2 battery performance
    I just got on ST with my Pre 3 a couple days ago, and I've since had intermittent data and MMS. Sometimes a site will load as expected. Sometimes I get an error. Sometimes the site loads but it's missing images or incorrectly formatted.

I'm fearful to call them. I have a feeling their terrible customer service is terrible.
    I've never been able to reach a customer service person there who I could understand through their accent.

So, if you have trouble understanding heavy Indian accents, as I do sometimes, that might be a problem.

I need to find the MMS settings and enter them into my phone again, and see if that works.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
  10.    #30  
    Quote Originally Posted by kill_Dano View Post
    I just got on ST with my Pre 3 a couple days ago, and I've since had intermittent data and MMS. Sometimes a site will load as expected. Sometimes I get an error. Sometimes the site loads but it's missing images or incorrectly formatted.

I'm fearful to call them. I have a feeling their terrible customer service is terrible.
    Just this morning in southwest MO I've had some Failed to Load errors on web pages. Never had them before, resubmitting seems to work. Things seem more back to normal ATM. I'm hoping it is a glitch somewhere in the net that they are fixing / have fixed...

There is chat support on their site. That usually comes accent free...

Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I've never been able to reach a customer service person there who I could understand through their accent.

So, if you have trouble understanding heavy Indian accents, as I do sometimes, that might be a problem.

I need to find the MMS settings and enter them into my phone again, and see if that works.
    If the settings are in there, I'm not sure re-entering or re-applying them does anything.

In case you do need the settings again they are

Internet APN: att.mvno
    User Name: (leave blank)
    Password: (leave blank)

MMS APN: att.mvno
    User Name: (leave blank)
    Password: (leave blank)
    MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
    MMS Proxy: 66.209.11.33:80
    Max Size: 600

Mobile Nations Devotee
    yeah i needed to re-enter the settings after i did a ton of crap to my phones, swapping cards in and out, and doctoring, and such. thanks for the info.

(btw, my above comment about the Indian accents wasn't meant to be a derogatory remark towards anyone, I have a partial hearing loss, and it makes anyone with really heavy accents that i'm not used to much more difficult to understand - Indian and Australian especially though)
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    So I got in touch with support about my issue, here's the conversation, so you can see how bad their CS is.

TL;DR: ST Trouble shooting handbook: Step1: Ask to restart phone. Step 2:Ask how many signal bars. Step 3: Claim to have "updated their account". Return to step one, until customer stops responding. If the customer finds the problem, tell him/r that it's expected behavior. Never offer any compensation, or solution.

ME:
    Intermittent data. Sometimes a site will work; sometimes it won't. Some pages load with corrupt or missing elements. Some apps give 'unable to connect' messages. I've restarted my phone many times. I've verified my APN settings.

ST:
    Hi Dan,
    We're sorry for the trouble. Let me help you. How many signal bars do you have on your phone at this time? Please try to take turn off your phone and back on, then try accessing your browser again.

ME:
    I've been looking at this myself for a while and I'm above average with technical skills. As stated, I've already restarted the phone several times and verified my APN settings several times. I've been having this issue since I activated my phone 3 days ago. I've had this issue in areas is full signal and low signal... Currently I have 3 out of 5 bars. I Just restarted my phone and it's still not loading sites properly and some of my apps give "unable to connect" errors.

It's not just the browser that is getting intermittent internet It's also my apps.

ST:
    I have updated the browser feature on your account. Please turn off your phone and back on again, then try accessing your browser. If it's still not working, please send me your complete physical address for me to check the coverage in your area. Thank you.

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email.

ME:
    Seems to be working properly now. I'll keep checking it and make sure the fix is permanent. Last night it seemed to be working and this morning it was acting up again.
    , thanks.
    ST:
    You're welcome, Dan!

Thank you for being our customer. To respond, please reply to this email.

ME:
    Problems are back.
    My address is:
    XXXXX
    Jacksonville

ST:
    I checked your address and there are no reported data outages in the area. Does it happen on all the sites you're opening? If not, please provide me with the sites you're encountering this issue. Thanks.

ME:
    This issue happens on many, many sites. Speedtest.net, for example gives many errors during the speed test. Sometimes the test actually finishes, but most of the time the test gives an error, like ping error or download error. It's portions of sites that don't load. My phone has an app that shows picasa pictures, but it usually gives an error of "unable to connect" I'm no expert on cell phones, but there seems to be a data routing problem. Some data reaches my phone and some never does... When I load sites with many pictures some pictures show up and some don't. It's almost 50, 50.

One thing I have just noticed is that, now here is Jacksonville, it's 4am. My phone is actually working fine again now. Last night at around 4am it started working too. Could it be that during high traffic hours the towers or something are getting overloaded and now, because everyone is sleeping and there is low traffic I can finally use my data? ... That is what seems to be going on to me.

ME:
    See, it's noon now, and my issues are back. I really think this is related to network traffic.

I have an app called done! Which syncs with toodledo.com when I try to sync I says it can't find the server. Last night at 4am it worked fine, also the night before that.

ST:
    Dan, network congestion happens when many people are accessing the tower to be able to use their phone. We advise that you access your phone's browser not on peak hours. On the other hand, we have made an update on your account. Turn the phone off and on before accessing your browser.

ME:
    I just restarted my phone, and my problems are still here. Many apps report not internet, as do many websites.

If there is consistent network congestion in my area, shouldn't y'all fix this problem? Perhaps get more bandwidth? I've just recently been on Jolt mobile, which is another At&t MVNO and I never had these issues. Before that I was with H20 and then normal At&t, and I didn't have these network congestion issues there either.

If these issues cannot be fixed, I'd like a refund of my purchases, because my data has not worked properly since I activated my phone on Friday.

ST:
    Take the battery out while the phone is on. Wait for one minute, insert the battery back, and turn the phone on. Try to access your browser again.

ME:
    I took the battery out for like an hour. Still having the issues.

ST:
    Hi Dan. This could be a network congestion. At this time how many signal bars do you see on the phone?

ME

ST:
    Dan, you should have at least 3-5 signals bars for you to get a better connection. When it comes to network congestion, we cannot really control the network to fix it right away. Thanks.

ME:
    I know that. You asked me what signal I had 'now'. You didn't ask: what signal do I have while I test the connection.

As I've stated this problem has been happening since Friday. I've been in good signal areas and bad ones.

So how about that refund? My old service didn't have any congestion issues. I should have been warned that this service suffers from horrible congestion during normal hours, every day.

ST:
    Dan, sorry but we do not issue refund for airtime/service card purchases.
    In addition, Straight Talk does not guarantee the availability of Mobile Web Service in your network coverage at any time. Please check Straight TalkTerms and Conditions paragraphs 5, 6 and 7 at Welcome To Straight Talk for additional info on Mobile Web Service. Thanks.
    I find I get the same thing alot on my Pre3. I'll have 4-5 bars, but data just doesn't work, or works so slow as to be useless; and of course it never seems to work when I need a map (unlike my old VZW Pre+ the GPS always works, but a blue "you are here" dot on a blank map is of little help). Other times it works great, I've streamed Pandora for an hour on the road with no interruption, and I can have a map running in full terrain satellite view follow me down the road.

I've noticed that sites that use ip geolocation always think I'm somewhere in the midwest (I forgot where), so I suspect that AT&T routes all the mvno data traffic to one place, and then we're at the mercy of the internet bandwidth available at that location.

It's nice to imagine you might get the same service for $45 that you'd pay twice as much to get directly from AT&T, but clearly ST has to cut corners somewhere.
  14.    #34  
    IDK...

The page load errors are a recent thing with me. BUT I also am having slow connect, slow load and did not load errors on my home internet...

I wonder if it has something to do with all the redirect servers the FBI pulled out of the system recently after the DNS Changer workaround expired.

Another site I go to has a thread where people moan about not being able to connect, waiting a long time for pages to load, resubmitting requests several times before they will go through. It affects all types of Browsers, OSs, devices, computers, etc. It seems there is random DNS problems out there right now and it is hit or miss for a lot of people no matter what they use to connect.

I did some ping and trace route commands maybe a week ago or a week and a half. Lots of time outs and failed to responds... It also seemed the problems were worse for European servers than elsewhere like in the US or Asia.

Maybe a new bug out there messing with DNS routing?

I'm just not sure these problems are necessarily ST originated. *shrug*

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Good.... It's not just me. This same problem has been happening to me, though only while at a specific location. I hope it gets corrected soon.
    "The best way to get something done is to begin" ~ Author Unknown
  16.    #36  
    OK...

Member kb7sqi brings us some new info on the connectivity problems with data. Straight Talk for Pre3 How-To Guide (with screenies)

Apparently he got it from another forum. New updated APN information for BYOD AT&T Users given by CS Rep

I'm testing the new mms proxy setting and it is supposed to also clear up data as well due to new rollouts on the network. Use MMS Proxy mms2.tracfone.com:80

Set that up, power down the phone, pull the SIM and wait a few minutes, insert SIM, power up and when you reestablish on the network you are supposed to be up to date with the new configurations they are running.

I'l report back soon on how it is working for me...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  17.    #37  
    OK... I've just been playing with it a short while, but I'm going to say it is working for me...

change MMS Proxy ONLY to mms2.tracfone.com:80, power down phone, remove SIM, wait a few minutes, replace SIM, power on phone... Just like the OP said on the other forum kb7sqi referenced.

My slow data seems to be better. Apps using the internet are loading faster, web pages too. MMS definitely works send and receive. Google maps loaded fast, Accuweather, Group[on, Gas Buddy, this site and some other websites from my bookmarks.

It passes the quick test.

Thanks again to kb7sqi for bringing us this info.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    why would changing the mms proxy do anything? methinks you're only getting a placebo effect, but I'd like to be wrong.... I look forward to additional reports.
  19.    #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    why would changing the mms proxy do anything? methinks you're only getting a placebo effect, but I'd like to be wrong.... I look forward to additional reports.
    From reading the Howard Forum's post I gather that ST is updating systems... The new MMS proxy is part of it and a "hard reset" of yanking the SIM after power down is another part... Reinserting the SIM and booting up clean reestablishes the phone on the system and aligns it with the updated data transfer info instead of going back to the old connection like you would if you just restarted the phone with the SIM left in.

My Veer is continuing along very groovy this AM.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    yes, I went back and read that too after I posted, maybe there is something to it. Sorry for being a negative nancy; I may try it later today myself. The Pre3's back just seems a bit fiddly and delicate, so I've been very nervous about taking it off (so far just twice... once to get the T-Mobile SIM in there, once to swap in the Straight Talk SIM).
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast