Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    I'm using KBTracker 0.5 and it seems that it is magnifying my data usage considerably since the start of the new billing period (1/11). I've been checking data usage with T-Mobile over the past 4 days and it's been almost always less than what kbtracker reported by a factor of ~10!

    According to kbtracker, I've supposedly used more than 16MB's already in the past 6 days though T-Mobile says I've only used 1.5MB as of this morning (thank god!).

    It seems that large amounts of non-real data usage is added after a period of being offline (GPRS) then going online again. FWIW, the apps that I use that use the network are:

    Blazer
    VeriChat
    SnapperMail
    EudoraWeb

    My repeated emails to PDApps about this problem has gone unanswered for the past 3 days.

    Anyone else seen any similar behavior?

    Thanks.
  2.    #2  
    Well, to remain accurate, PDAApps just responded after my third email. No solution yet though, they asked me to install the latest version, but I am using the latest version.

    I'll post a response when/if I learn more about what's going on.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by silverado
    Well, to remain accurate, PDAApps just responded after my third email. No solution yet though, they asked me to install the latest version, but I am using the latest version.

    I'll post a response when/if I learn more about what's going on.
    Is this the first version of KBTracker that you've used? I've had every release and seems to be very accurate. Just updated to 0.5 yesterday and it seems to be okay.
    I can email you v0.4 if you want to try it out.
  4. #4  
    I have the same problem...KB Tracker says 5 meg T-Mobiles says .7 meg. Who is right ...don't want to complain to T-Mobile if they are the wrong ones.
  5. #5  
    I have same problem. Seemed very accurrate mostly, but there was a brief period where it was racking up 2 Meg per day. Seems ok again now.

    I'm using T-mobile VPN connection, so I'm wondering if someone (T-mobile ?) is spamming me with packets and racking up usage. Hmm.
  6.    #6  
    Originally posted by spittle
    I have same problem. Seemed very accurrate mostly, but there was a brief period where it was racking up 2 Meg per day. Seems ok again now.

    I'm using T-mobile VPN connection, so I'm wondering if someone (T-mobile ?) is spamming me with packets and racking up usage. Hmm.
    I use T-Mobile VPN too. However, I'm positive that there is no such spamming. I have seen KBTracker adding chunks of ficticious usage in controlled experiments. I've reported my results to the PDAApps folks and are looking into it.
  7. #7  
    I know I'm going to sound ignorant, but how do you find out your GPRS usage from T-Mobile?
  8.    #8  
    Originally posted by chux
    I know I'm going to sound ignorant, but how do you find out your GPRS usage from T-Mobile?
    Right now the only way is to call them and ask. Make sure you ask them "as of when?" when they tell you how much you've used. It's usually within at most 12 hours prior to your call.
  9. #9  
    It's also summarized in the monthly paper bill. If you do EasyPay, it still shows up on receipt they send you.
  10. #10  
    Is this problem only with KB and T-Mobile or is it represented with other carriers?
  11. #11  
    had the same problem last month kb tracker had me at 30 meg thought i was going to have a 10 meg overage turns out i used 8 meg when i was billed by t-mobile

    fred
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by george_vc
    Is this problem only with KB and T-Mobile or is it represented with other carriers?
    I can't answer the question of whether KBTracker and T-Mobile have a fundamental difference in the way they are supposed to compute usage. However, I can tell you that KBTracker is definitely buggy. I have seen KBTracker add more than 200KB just for signing on to T-Mobile VPN, i.e., in only a couple of seconds of actual communication (clearly a bug). This happened to me repeatedly while monitoring it closely. I racked up about a meg of usage just by disconnecting and connecting a number of times from the Preferences app. It is physically impossible to exchange even a tiny fraction of that data in that amount of time.

    Unfortunately, I have stopped counting on KBTracker now. I call T-Mobile every couple of days and ask about my usage. Latest numbers (in 20 days of usage) are:

    KBtracker 22.457MB -- T-Mobile 2.55MB

    KBTracker is clearly winning this race!

Posting Permissions