Faster, persistent data services for your Treo communicator

Cingular customers, GPRS data services are now available for your
    Treo 270 or Treo 180 communicator. By upgrading your Treo
    communicator with GPRS data services, your email and web browsing
    will be better than ever with faster, persistent, more reliable
    connections to high-speed networks. Because, with GPRS data, you
    don't need to dial up every time you want to get on the
    Internet--you don't even need an ISP. You can even be notified of
    incoming calls while you're checking email or surfing the web.

Learn more here:
    http://www.handspring.com/products/t..._cat_name=Treo

(however there is no mention of Cingular GPRS at the above URL or on the handspring.com site at the time of this posting. I guess their web team still needs to update the site.
    Wow! They sound like they might acutally do it! When did you receive your email? I hope they didnt send out a few emails and its a mistake.
  3.    #3  
    This is the standard Handspring e-mail newsletter that goes out every once in a while... The timestamp headers:

Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 07:54:18 -0800 (PST)
    Subject: Happy New Year from Handspring.com

I'm now wondering whether they made a mistake and jumped the gun, announcing this before they were suppose to as I just noticed the heading of the section I posted is "Treo 180--Now as Low as $99 after Mail-In Rebate" and the link they provided takes you to a page about the T180.
    You sure are right about the page. Nothing in it about the Cingular update. Has anyone else out there received this update? Perhaps knows a little more information about this GPRS release??
    I got the Happy New Year email from Handspring, but it makes NO mention of Cingular in it. Mostly talks about how great T-Mobile is.

Jon Margolis
    After some thought about this, I decided to write Handspring Customer Service about this email. This is the response I received today.

Dear Robert Chavoya,

Thank you for contacting Handspring. We apologize for any confusion
    regarding the information you received in the e-newsletter. Unfortunately
    the GPRS upgrade is not yet available for Cingular customers. At this time
    GPRS upgrades are only being offered through T-Mobile. We do apologize for
    any inconvenience that this may have caused you.

If you need further assistance please contact Customer Care at
    1-888-565-9393.

So, I guess it was a mistake after all. They dont apoliqize much do they. I guess Ill just keep waiting and hoping.

Robert Chavoya
  7.    #7  
    That's better than the response I got from them. I forwarded the complete e-newsletter asking for more information about the Cingular GPRS upgrade or a working link to more information. Their reply:

"Thank you for your email. Please let us know who is your phone carrier. The
    GRPS update depends on the carrier."

- Bill
    however, if you look into the cingular website on the avaliability of the wireless internet express (GPRS), there are several california cities listed there. I am just waiting for that official GPRS update release from Cingular.
    I agree. I know that a lot of people have had success with the other unoffical "versions" of the GPRS update on Cingular. But, I think Ill just wait for the offical version. Well see how much longer. If it goes past February, I think im just gonna give up and live with what I got. Im tired of constantly looking and waiting.
    Please note that all T-Mobile customers in california are using Cingular's network anyway! If you *REALLY* want GPRS on Cingular just load up the T-Mobile software, call Cingular and Lie about what device you're using and you'll be up and running in no time.
    Thanks for the advice, but Im still gonna wait. I just dont have the time to be with out my Treo if the program ( or if I do something wrong.. 0__- ) doesnt work right. Or worse yet trying to mess around with it to get everything to work for days / weeks.

I know alot of people have had luck with this install, and I did start to try following the online instructions, but got very confused part way through.

I did write to Handspring again asking if they was any information on a release. This is what I got...

Dear Robert Chavoya,

Thank you for contacting Handspring. Unfortunately we do not have a release
    date for the Cingular GPRS upgrade at this time. We expect that it may be
    coming soon but do not have any other information.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

If you need further assistance please contact Customer Care at
    1-888-565-9393.

So, I guess were all back to square one. sigh.....

Robert
    I got a "by the end of the year" byline from Handspring back in November. Well, yesterday I gave my Treo to my Dad because I'm just that fed up with it. I figured something new and better will be out about the time Handspring and Cingular (whichever is to blame) pull their heads out of their *sses. Handspring had a real opportunity when they introduced this device, but it's a year later-they should've had the support in place at the time of introduction.

Back to my V60gi for now, which ain't too shabby.
    I got the following in an email today:

Dear Handspring e-newsletter reader,

Some versions of our January 13, 2003 e-newsletter
    incorrectly reported that GPRS data services were
    available for Cingular customers using Treo
    communicators. This message was sent out prematurely
    and inadvertently. Cingular is in the process of
    testing the software and has not yet certified the
    Treo communicator GPRS upgrade. We do expect to make
    this upgrade available to Cingular customers in the
    coming months, and as soon as it's available, we will
    notify you via the e-newsletter.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion or
    inconvenience this may have caused.
    Well, "thatís that" as they say. Looks like we are back where we started. I really wonder who is in charge at Handspring with their customer service sometimes. This is just such an incident that could really ruin a reputation.
    Originally posted by ShadowDweller
    I got the following in an email today:

Dear Handspring e-newsletter reader,

Some versions of our January 13, 2003 e-newsletter
    incorrectly reported that GPRS data services were
    available for Cingular customers using Treo
    communicators. This message was sent out prematurely
    and inadvertently. Cingular is in the process of
    testing the software and has not yet certified the
    Treo communicator GPRS upgrade. We do expect to make
    this upgrade available to Cingular customers in the
    coming months, and as soon as it's available, we will
    notify you via the e-newsletter.

We sincerely apologize for any confusion or
    inconvenience this may have caused.
    How come I didn't get it yet?
    Current setup: myTouch 4G Slide (main), hp Pre2 and Veer 4G (backups)
    As if it's not enough to make Cingular users live with echo, and miss out on features like mute, speaker, etc.

Now they have to taunt us with misfired announcements.

Last time I blew up on the board, with an immature rant titled "Hawkins/Dubinsky Wake Up Call". This time I'll just continue to quietly wait and hope that I actually get to use GPRS and the other features mentioned above prior to the Treo becoming obsolete.

But, you have to admit, this is getting comical and stupid.

HRB
    FWIW, I have been unofficially using Cingular GPRS for months. Their service is spotty, and in the SF Bay Area has been unavailable the past few days. I called Cingular Tech Support today, and let slip that I was using a Treo. After she told me that a Treo would not yet work on Cingular GPRS, she said that they would support it on or around the 6th or 7th of this month. I'll believe it when I see it.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Check out the link or the text below:

http://support.handspring.com/esuppo...sType=RESEARCH

How do I install the Treo GPRS Upgrade with Cingular?

The Treo GPRS Upgrade lets your Treo take advantage of Cingular Wireless Internet Express services. Experience fast, persistent connections to the Internet for email and web browsing, with better control over your data costs.

How to install (see the requirements)

Make sure your Treo's battery is fully charged.

Make sure you have at least 6.7 MB (6,700 K) free memory on your device (how?).

Find the Cingular Wireless Internet Express plan that's right for you (for average use, we recommend the 7MB version or higher).

Note: Do not choose a "Wireless Internet" plan. This is the older, dial-up method. Instead, on the Cingular page above, scroll down to look at "Wireless Internet Express" plans.

Call Cingular at 1-866-CINGULAR (1-866-246-4852) to add Wireless Internet Express to your account.

Download the Treo GPRS Upgrade for Cingular.

Download now: Windows
    Download now: Macintosh OS X
    Download now: Macintosh OS 9.x
    ALERT: If you are not a Cingular customer, do not download this version of the software. It contains carrier-specific requirements that are not compatible with non-Cingular SIMs. Not a Cingular customer? Click here for the appropriate Treo GPRS Upgrade version.

Double-click on the file you just downloaded to start the installation process.

If you have any questions about the Treo GPRS Upgrade, see the information below.

Questions?

What are the benefits of the Treo GPRS Upgrade?

What is GPRS?

How much does GPRS cost?

How do I know which version of the Treo GPRS Upgrade I have on my device?

Have questions about using Treo?
    Search our support site
    FAQ's about GPRS
    Treo product information
    User Guides

Troubleshooting

Can't find the Blazer application

Can't find the Call History option

Can't find the Expense application

What do the network status icons mean?

How do I know that GPRS is working on my Treo?

The "triangle" won't appear indicating GPRS attachment

Can't connect to the GPRS network

Can't perform an infrared (IR) HotSync after installing the Treo GPRS Upgrade

More GPRS FAQ's
    Thanks for the link and info. FWIW, I scoured the HS fine print, and they do note that there is NO fundamental difference between the firmware updaters as far as functionality, just some carrier specific stuff. So I'm going to stick with my GPRS 1.1.1 update I did months ago, and not try to reflash with the v.1.2 Cingular package.
    Also, it is interesting to note that I finally have GPRS service restored in the SF Bay Area after about a week of down time (bet Cingular was doing some fooling/reconfiguring with the system).
    Now we'll see who makes the announcement (or is this a soft rollout).