Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Here's the detailed story. Good thing ATT's purchase of T-Mobile was disallowed!!
    T-Mobile announces LTE, prepares to take the US wireless market by storm | ExtremeTech

Shneor
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  2.    #2  
    Quote Originally Posted by shneor View Post
    Here's the detailed story. Good thing ATT's purchase of T-Mobile was disallowed!!
    T-Mobile announces LTE, prepares to take the US wireless market by storm | ExtremeTech

Shneor
    I've contacted T-Mobile online and by phone to try and find out when this will go live in my location. No luck with either. But I read in another forum that it has already appeared in the northeast, north of New York City.
    Shneor
    what part of CA are you in? I've got a coworker with horrible T-Mo reception, might be the phone though too (some Android slab, can't remember the name).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    what part of CA are you in? I've got a coworker with horrible T-Mo reception, might be the phone though too (some Android slab, can't remember the name).
    I'm near Sacramento. Got excellent T-Mo in most of the area, some poor spots in Carmichael and environs. Got a new UICC sim card for the 3/4G, which has not arrived here yet, as well as an upgraded plan.
    Shneor
    Probably her device then... she had problems with it from the jump, haven't asked lately if it's gotten any better
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    UNLESS YOUR AT&T PIXI/PRE HAS THE REQUIRED FREQUENCY, YOU WILL NOT GET 3G/4G ON YOUR DEVICE.

I did not know this upon buying my AT&T Pixi, but you WILL be locked at 2G if it hasn't the required frequency. Check this before you buy, it doesn't bother me, I love my phone.

Tmobile throttles to 2G after 100 megs on my plan anyway.

-- Sent from my Palm Pixi using Forums
    Proud user of a Palm Pre+ on T-Mobile running 1.4.5 in New Orleans, Louisiana
    --
    Need some help getting Odamex on WebOS
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    UNLESS YOUR AT&T PIXI/PRE HAS THE REQUIRED FREQUENCY, YOU WILL NOT GET 3G/4G ON YOUR DEVICE.

I did not know this upon buying my AT&T Pixi, but you WILL be locked at 2G if it hasn't the required frequency. Check this before you buy, it doesn't bother me, I love my phone.

Tmobile throttles to 2G after 100 megs on my plan anyway.

T-Mo is rolling out LTE on the bands formerly reserved for 2.5 EDGE. Their H+ that was on 1700 MHz (which Palm phones lack) is being pushed to 1900 which Palm phones do have.

Some T-Mo users on this forum have reported their areas as converted and they now enjoy a speed boost from E to H+.
    Lumia 1520.3 (the Beastly Unicorn): Windows 10 Mobile

Windows Central Senior Ambassador

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    T-Mo is rolling out LTE on the bands formerly reserved for 2.5 EDGE. Their H+ that was on 1700 MHz (which Palm phones lack) is being pushed to 1900 which Palm phones do have.

Some T-Mo users on this forum have reported their areas as converted and they now enjoy a speed boost from E to H+.
    Yes, I confirmed backwards compatibility with HSDPA modems and HSDPA+, just got off the phone today and while she didn't say it was confirmed yet, my Pixi will get 3G service soon. I'm also aware of the frequencies, was merely warning the unsuspecting buyers. I may actually upgrade my data plan next month if it rolls out in my area soon.

Who knows, maybe as they repair damaged towers from Issac, they're also reconfiguring them at the same time.

--
    Remember the bombardment of letters WebOS users hopefully sent to HP? Well, we need you again loyal users. Click and sign to entertain the slight notion of this petition reaching LG. The numbers rise daily, we need to keep going! Even if its slim to none, its better than doing nothing and complaining!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowflank View Post
    Yes, I confirmed backwards compatibility with HSDPA modems and HSDPA+, just got off the phone today and while she didn't say it was confirmed yet, my Pixi will get 3G service soon. I'm also aware of the frequencies, was merely warning the unsuspecting buyers. I may actually upgrade my data plan next month if it rolls out in my area soon.

Who knows, maybe as they repair damaged towers from Issac, they're also reconfiguring them at the same time.

Here's hoping you have 3g very soon...

Mobile Nations Devotee
  10.    #10  
    It's also been reported at Las Vegas airport on another forum...
    Shneor
  11.    #11  
    There's an article in today's newspaper business section (Sac Bee) about hwo T-Mobile already has over 1 million I-phone subscribers and is looking for more...the change to conform T-Mo's band uses to what's normal in the US GSM world is because they are try9ing to attract "millions" of ATT subscribers when their ATT contract is over. The changeover right now is just in New York, Las Vegas, Seattle and DC. Wish they would speed it up.
    Shneor
    There's an article in today's newspaper business section (Sac Bee) about hwo T-Mobile already has over 1 million I-phone subscribers and is looking for more...the change to conform T-Mo's band uses to what's normal in the US GSM world is because they are try9ing to attract "millions" of ATT subscribers when their ATT contract is over. The changeover right now is just in New York, Las Vegas, Seattle and DC. Wish they would speed it up.
    HAHA saw a tease on the iPhone thing on channel 10 news last night... I wonder if they reported on the band change too. The tease was about the new iPhone announcement today and how T-Mobile was trying to lure users of previous iPhone versions.
  13.    #13  
    So I was at Altanta airport yesterday, on my way home. I turned on my Pre3 and lo and behold, it said 3G. I had time to spare since my plane was late, and did a DSLReports speed test. It showed 1.37 mbps, with a latency of over 1300 milliseconds. I checked my Govnah settings, and found I was only at Uberkernel default. So I changed it to 1.9 as needed, and ran the test again. This time the latency was 636 milliseconds. Still slow, but a lot better.

I did not have 3G anywhere else in Atlanta.
    Shneor
    So I was at Altanta airport yesterday, on my way home. I turned on my Pre3 and lo and behold, it said 3G. I had time to spare since my plane was late, and did a DSLReports speed test. It showed 1.37 mbps, with a latency of over 1300 milliseconds. I checked my Govnah settings, and found I was only at Uberkernel default. So I changed it to 1.9 as needed, and ran the test again. This time the latency was 636 milliseconds. Still slow, but a lot better.

I did not have 3G anywhere else in Atlanta.
    I'm near the airport and it's working for me. Hopefully it will go live for the rest of the Atlanta Metro and not just surrounding the airport.
    Quote Originally Posted by nswint View Post
    I'm near the airport and it's working for me. Hopefully it will go live for the rest of the Atlanta Metro and not just surrounding the airport.
    I'm pretty sure I was one of the few to clarify, or only, directly from T-Mobile, all of the rumors.

Last time I paid my phone bill, I inquired about the frequency change and was told that it was planned for Spring 2013 when the iPhone was delivered to T-Mobile.

Today I awoke to a 3G icon for about 30 minutes, until it vanished to E again.

If anyone's lurking in the NOLA area reads, you may wish to pay the extra 20 bucks for unlimited prepaid on T-Mobile

Edit: I now get stable signal from my apartment and can tether a stable 3G link with freetether, usually idling at 300-400kb/s.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Last edited by Shadowflank; 03/09/2013 at 08:02 AM.
    --
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    NOLA? Are you sure? I'm sitting across the street from Tulane Medical School and I still get atrocious E.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladholyman View Post
    NOLA? Are you sure? I'm sitting across the street from Tulane Medical School and I still get atrocious E.
    I'm right off of carrolton on vets, by west end.

I'm getting stable 3G at my apartment but nowhere else (patchy on the causeway).

Figured it started in the city and got worse as you go further. If you want proof they're working though, go around the winn dixie and mcdonalds. You should get a delightful 3G signal there

--
    Did a spot check last night with the GF's T-Mo SIM and my Veer...

Still only getting EDGE in Springfield, Missouri.

Mobile Nations Devotee
    Quote Originally Posted by RumoredNow View Post
    Did a spot check last night with the GF's T-Mo SIM and my Veer...

Still only getting EDGE in Springfield, Missouri.
    When I gave up on finding the specific patch for the phone settings, I just went with the top bar toggle.

I had 3g in areas EDGE overpowered it.

--
    Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    Whoa you're saying if I install Top Bar toggle patch I may be able to force 3G in New Orleans?

Edit - I tried the Top Bar toggle patch on my Pre 3 and I get 1 glorious bar of 3G. The signal is very unstable though - I hope T-Mobile strengthens their signal down here in the Big Easy.
    Last edited by Ladholyman; 03/22/2013 at 09:20 AM. Reason: Updating post.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast