1.    #1  
    I thought I'd report in on my success with Scott Gruby's WirelessModem app to connect my Treo 180 to Cingular GPRS here in the USA (Northern California) using my Ti Powerbook G4. This of course assumes that you have a Treo that you have successfully reflashed and upgraded with the 'unofficial' GPRS Upgrader found at TreoCentral, and that you have activated Wireless Internet Express from Cingular (their name for GPRS service). You should be sure that your Treo does work with Cingular GPRS, and that you have configured your Cingular user name and password as well as your Blazer browser. The Cingular folks might give you a hard time provisioning GPRS on your Treo--don't confuse them with the facts. Just order Wireless Internet Express (about $6 per month for 1024k of data).

OK--Here's what I did to have a wireless Powerbook through GPRS on my Treo with Cingular:

First, go to www.notifymail.com (Scott Gruby's site) and click on Palm Apps, and download and install WirelessModem. Be sure to read the instructions very carefully (twice...) to prevent problems during and after installation.
    Once installed, you want to first test your hookup. You need to connect your Treo to your PB with your HotSync cable, launch the WirelessModem app on your Treo, configure the WirelessModem settings on your Treo (per Scott's instructions) and enable WirelessModem. Only then should you go to Network Preferences, and create a new Location (I called this WirelessModem Cingular CSD). If you do NOT get the WIrelessModem app working and enabled on your Treo first, your Mac will not see it and will not allow you to create a Location with the Treo as a modem. In this new location, you will create settings for a dial-up modem, and will select Treo as your modem. Note that this configuration will likely ONLY work for CSD (dial-up) and NOT GPRS (there are some special settings needed-see below). I nonetheless created this Location and setup to dial my usual ISP (using my ISPs phone number and my user name and password), just to test the concept (and also to have a double backup in case I needed to get Internet access from my PB in a location without GPRS service). This CSD approach worked fine, albeit slowly (max 9600 baud--the data limit supported by Cingular). I then disconnected from this glacial dial-up connection, and went back to my usual broadband connection/location to finish the downloads I needed (see below).

Now go to Cingular's document site (http://alliance.cingularinteractive....iles/download/) and choose the Cingular Device Software Settings download. This PDF file contains the phone number, user name and password you need for data on GPRS, as well as the APN, so that you can set up the PPP dial-up settings in your Network Preferences panel for a new second location. I have abstracted this info below for convenience.

Next, go to Massimo Valle's Macronsoft site (www.macronsoft.com/pages/en/gsg.html) and download his GPRS Modem Generator (GSG)--this is $9 shareware. You will need this to build a new modem script that allows connection to Cingular GPRS. Launch GSG, and from the main page, edit the default settings by entering the Cingular APN (ISP.CINGULAR) in the box provided. You can leave everything else as delivered (the init string worked OK for me, but maybe Massimo will have a better one for Cingular in the future). Now save this new modem setting file--I named this Treo GPRS to differentiate it from the one called Treo that Scott's WirelessModem creates. As of now, Massimo does not have a preconfigured modem script for Cingular as he does for many GPRS providers around the globe (but I venture that he will have one soon).

Now hook your Treo back up to your PB, and activate the WirelessModem app on your Treo. Enable WIrelessModem so that your PB and Network Settings sees this device.
    Now go to Network Preferences, and edit your locations--make a copy/duplicate of your existing WirelessModem CSD location and call it WirelessModem GPRS or similar.
    You will now need to enter the unusual phone number, name and password found in the Cingular document:

Dial-up Number: *99#
    User Name: WIXDC001@W5.MYCINGULAR.COM
    Password: ZXY203DC9K0402

Change the modem selection from Treo (Scott's CSD setup) to your new modem selection created with GSG (?did you call it Treo GPRS?).

OK, now you have a live Treo WIrelessModem, properly configured, and a properly configured Network Location with the PPP data entered, and the new Treo GPRS modem script selected. Now just Connect, and see what happens. You should establish a GPRS data connection at the usual data rate (I got about 16K download and 5K upload tested with a real bandwidth test at DSL Reports [http://www.dslreports.com/stest]). This is probably about as good as I will get from Cingular [2 to 4 downlink slots and only 1 uplink slot--they list a speed of 10-30kbps].

I hope this works for you--it is actually a lot easier than it sounds.
    Many thanks to Scott for his continued involvement with WirelessModem (even though he does NOT officially support this app), and to Massimo for his clever modem script generator (which will likely be updated soon with a pre-configured Cingular setting). Please do support these clever developers by registering your apps and paying the very reasonable fees for very useful tools.
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by jposin

Hi there

My question is for Scott or Jonathan or anyone else who can answer it.

I am wondering why it’s necessary to have use the GSM (from Massimo Valle’s Macronsoft) to generate a different modem script for the Powerbook than Scott’s Wirelessmodem already generates. I am using his Treo modem script his installer generates with Fido GPRS service here in Toronto and it works fine. Is there something I am missing? Would I see a speed increase if I used the GSM and generated a separate script like Jonathan did? I‘d be happy to pay $8 or 9 for the GSM program if it achieved something I don’t have or improved something like a speed.

Thanks for your info and ideas.

Tom
  3.    #3  
    As I noted on the WirelessModem users forum, Cingular requires an APN to be presented at the time of authentication (otherwise I get an error message on my Treo stating that my APN was incorrect). Scott's WirelessModem app does not provide it. Massimo's GSG allows you to enter an APN and then his app will generate a modem script that works for me in CA on Cingular. Every GPS provider has a different set of parameters (I presume that is why GSG has a long pull-down list of configurations for many providers around the world). In your case, presumably Fido does not need an APN.

BTW, in a side e-mail/posting, Massimo does note that one does not need to enter a phone number in the PPP settings if one has used his GSG app to set up a modem script. He says that his app provides the phone number within the script.

YMMV.
    Originally posted by jposin
    As I noted on the WirelessModem users forum, Cingular requires an APN to be presented at the time of authentication (otherwise I get an error message on my Treo stating that my APN was incorrect). Scott's WirelessModem app does not provide it. Massimo's GSG allows you to enter an APN and then his app will generate a modem script that works for me in CA on Cingular. Every GPS provider has a different set of parameters (I presume that is why GSG has a long pull-down list of configurations for many providers around the world). In your case, presumably Fido does not need an APN.

BTW, in a side e-mail/posting, Massimo does note that one does not need to enter a phone number in the PPP settings if one has used his GSG app to set up a modem script. He says that his app provides the phone number within the script.

YMMV.
    thanks Jon

you must be right - the Network Prefs or Internet Connect on the Powerbook do NOT include a place to type in the APN, unlike the Network Preferences on the Treo. I did not type in the APN anywhere when I set up the GPRS settings on the Powerbook and it works anyway.

I can see that it is necessary for some ISPs.

I did run into another problem though, I may still need to use Massimo’s software for that. I tried to set up the Treo with Scott’s wireless modem for dialing into my regular ISP dialup account, using Scott’s Treo modem script and I failed. I always get some error like modem error or no carrier signal etc. It should be possible no? Do you think I should use the GSG to generate a new script for my regular dialup? What kind of a speed could I expect?

Do I need to have the old wireless data calls enabled (beside the GPRS) from my cellular provider (Fido in my case?) I used to have something called Fido data (I used that years ago with Motorola P7389 phone and it’s infra red and Powerbook’s infrared ports - before Apple eliminated the irDA port on the Powerbook) to surf at the blinding speed of 9.6kb, using the Motorola phone as a modem. I noticed that Fido is still charging me the $5/month for Fido data, even though I tried to cancel it when I got the GPRS.

It would be nice to be able to log online while travelling, because most mobile providers don’t offer GPRS while roaming. I have used HSCSD to successfully login and get my email with the Treo in the Czech Republic in November, using their pay as you go local simm card from Eurotel. They allow HSCSD access on these cards, because you pay by the minute.

Thanks for tour help/ideas
    Tom
  5.    #5  
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Scott$'$s$ $app$ $simply$ $lets$ $you$ $use$ $your$ $Treo$ $as$ $a$ $wireless$ $modem$, $no$ $more$, $no$ $less$. $He$ $does$ $throw$ $in$ $a$ $basic$ $modem$ $script$ $for$ $your$ $Powerbook$, $which$ $might$ $not$ $work$ $in$ $every$ $instance$. $You$ $have$ $a$ $couple$ $of$ $ways$ $to$ $use$ $his$ $tools$:
    1) To dial up using CSD to an analog modem at an ISP--you will need to know the analog phone number and have a user name and password, and will have to enter all of this into Mac's Network Preferences PPP panel. This does not require anything special from your GSM carrier except a dial tone. You do need Scott's app to create the clever interface on the Treo, and also to make a CSD modem script. This will run as fast as the 'voice' bandwidth allows (Cingular says 9600 baud).
    2) To 'dial up' to a GPRS data service, and then presumably to use their internet access (they presumably act as the ISP)--you will need to have the proper modem settings (including any odd things like APN or the like) and a good modem script (Massimo's GSG makes this all pretty painless, especially if you travel). You will need to have appropriate GPRS service enabled on your GSM account, and also need to have an updated/flashed Treo. You still need Scott's WirelessModem app on your Treo to get it to act as, well, a wireless modem. This will only run as fast as the system allows (again, Cingular suggests 10-30kbps).

I don't think you need your old wireless data feature (unless you plan to keep it to allow you to use Blazer or OT Mail or the like on your Treo and are in a location where GPRS does not work).
    [i]Originally posted by jposin

1) To dial up using CSD to an analog modem at an ISP--you will need to know the analog phone number and have a user name and password,
    I have those
    and will have to enter all of this into Mac's Network Preferences PPP panel.
    I know all that and I have done that
    This does not require anything special from your GSM carrier except a dial tone. You do need Scott's app to create the clever interface on the Treo, and also to make a CSD modem script.
    The modem script may be the problem. Which script should I use? Scott’s Treo script does not work, I have now purchased the GSG and have created a script using it. (the default it has for GPRS Fido works fine - as well as Scott’s Treo script), but a script I tried to create with it does NOT work for this dialup/CDS service.

Any ideas what settings to use in the GSG to create a script for a simple dialup ISP with 56k v.90 modems?
    I don't think you need your old wireless data feature (unless you plan to keep it to allow you to use Blazer or OT Mail or the like on your Treo and are in a location where GPRS does not work).
    Because I was able to login into the HSCSD service on the Treo with the settings I got from Eurotel in Prague using their prepaid simm card, I am hoping that once I can successfully login into a regular dialup ISP here using the Treo as a modem, I should be able to do the equivalent anywhere I go using a local prepaid simm card. They are all happy to turn on HSCSD for you becuase you pay by the minute. I found the speed of that connection as good as the local GPRS I get here.

Thanks
  7.    #7  
    I'm not sure why Scott's script does not work--it should just have your Treo act as an analog dial-up modem. I trust that you have carefully read Scott's instructions--there are a few steps that can get you fouled up (picking the proper USB port/choice in WirelessModem and the like). I assume that you have checked all your Network settings on your PB for dial-up Internet and that they match known working settings that you have previously tried using a standard phone line and your internal PB modem. I think that the GSG modem scripts will be GPRS only, and not CSD--why don't you ask Massimo, the author of GSG.
    Originally posted by jposin
    I'm not sure why Scott's script does not work--it should just have your Treo act as an analog dial-up modem. I trust that you have carefully read Scott's instructions--there are a few steps that can get you fouled up (picking the proper USB port/choice in WirelessModem and the like). I assume that you have checked all your Network settings on your PB for dial-up Internet and that they match known working settings that you have previously tried using a standard phone line and your internal PB modem. I think that the GSG modem scripts will be GPRS only, and not CSD--why don't you ask Massimo, the author of GSG.
    Yes, of course I checked all the obvious things, if I used the wrong USB port, the GPRS would not work for me either, I have of course checked my dialup using the internal modem before testing it with the Treo
    yes, the GSG seems to be only for GPRS, but I’ll ask Massimo - that’s a good idea
    thanks
    Tom
    jposin's post is nearly a year old. Is there any new info on using a Treo 600 (Cingular) as wireless modem for Mac PB G4?