1.    #1  
    Hello. Can anyone explain the difference between the T-Mobil's Internet setting and T-Mobile's VPN setting for the networks setting in the Treo's Preference setup. Since I upgraded to the GPRS with T-Mobile, I get the two choices. I only tried Internet, not VPN. Thanks, m00se
    If you or your company purchased VPN managment services from T-Mobile then you would use the secondary choice. This way T-Mobile would secure your external connections to the private network. They do this for Starbucks and other large companies.

Derek
  3.    #3  
    Originally posted by computerfixitguy
    If you or your company purchased VPN managment services from T-Mobile then you would use the secondary choice. This way T-Mobile would secure your external connections to the private network. They do this for Starbucks and other large companies.

Derek
    Thanks much! You learn new things every day....
    I've read in other another thread somewhere that VPN service gives you a valid internet IP address, rather than sitting behind a firewall/NAT device as you do with the internet account. (Check your IP address, if it's a 10.x.x.x address, you're behind NAT)

This gives you the ability to run a VPN client on your Treo - most NAT implementations kill VPN capabilities.
    Wether or not you get a valid public IP address I cannot confirm. More information about T-Mobile VPN can be found here:

http://www.t-mobile-business-solutio...ile_ip_vpn.htm

They will connect your network to their GPRS worldwide backbone, therefore your GPRS client can directly hit your internal corporate network without traveling the internet. At least that is what I make of it.

Derek
    For whatever reason, T-mobile configured me so that only the VPN connection works. I have no special VPN arrangement with any corporate network.

I'm pretty sure the VPN connection just means your Treo has a temporarily assigned, but externally visible (routable) IP address. The Internet connection gives you a temporary IP address which is not visible to the outside world.

The VPN connection allows one to use a VPN client (like Mergic VPN). I've never tried it with the Internet connection, but I bet it wouldn't work.