1.    #1  
    Hi all,

Thank GOD...It looks as if the merger is now DEAD....see link.

Take care,

Jay

AT&T Deal With T-Mobile Takes a Step Back
    By EDWARD WYATT
    Published: November 24, 2011

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/25/te...k.html?_r=1&hp

WASHINGTON AT&T and T-Mobile USA appeared to edge closer to scrapping their proposed merger, saying on Thursday that they had withdrawn their application to the Federal Communications Commission to join their cellular phone operations.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Hmm. I was kind of hoping for it -- ATT network with T-Mobile's customer service.. it'd probably have ended up being just ATT all the way around, and shuttering T-Mobile though.
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    People asked me for a donate link for my non-catalog work, so here you are:
    That's exactly what would have happened. Nothing from T-mobile would have survived, and then you have one less option.
    This is good. I'm a great fan of competition. After 4 power outages at our place in 3 months, monopolies are on my short list of things to be avoided like the plague.

"Shun the non-believers!" Competition is good.

~~~
    The T-Mobile network here in Detroit is complete and utter garbage. But I have their service now. :|
    Author:
    Remove Messaging Beeps patch for webOS 3.0.5, Left/Right bezel gestures in LunaCE,
    Whazaa! Messenger and node-wa, SynerGV 1 and 2 - Google Voice integration, XO - Subsonic Commander media streamer, AB:S Launcher
    (1:39:33 PM) halfhalo: Android multitasking is like sticking your fingers into a blender
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
  6.    #6  
    Hi all,

I have been very outspoken about this horrid proposed merger from the beginning...Canada is a perfect example where they have (I believe it was 2 very large providers and 2 or 3 small ones)....

On large one gobbled up on small one & the call plan rates shot up at ALL firms as well as the cost of the phones and smartphones...at least one of them Rogers has tried to cram 3 year deals on smartphones down customers throats...(I understand that the public isn't interested in 3 year deals)...they also laid off thousands upon thousands of employees.

It's bad enough that were stuck with 2 year deals....I had my Centro for 33 months...in that time Palm dumped PalmOS for webOS dumped the Centro/Treo lines for the Pre line of smartphones...they were bought out by HP, torpedoed by HP and webOS likely will be sold before my Centro would have been 3 years old...

AT&T truly screwed themselves over in this deal..not just do they have to fork over $4 BILLION they also have to turn over a chuck of the their spectrum...they placed the bar so high b/c they were sure they could have rammed this thru the sec....too bad for them and great for the pbulic!

take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I think the significant downside of this, is that T-Mobile might just choose to close instead. Deutsche Telecom wants nothing to do with them anymore, but there's no one that wants to buy them except for ATT, and ATT apparently can't, or is down to a "10% likelihood".

I've always maintained that the T-Mobile network is crap, but after 3 days of actually -using- their service, I find out how horribly I was under-estimating how bad it is. I live in a relatively highly populated area just west of Detroit, and I work in a much higher populated area farther west of Detroit. I don't even have data capability half of the route to/from work. When I do have data capability (yes, I understand I'm on EDGE not on a modern system .. although T-Mobile's "4G" offering isn't exactly "modern"), I'm capable of at most 33.6k modem speeds, with ping rates in the 3000ms (yes, that's a full 3+ second ping time) area. It's not even particularly useful for WAP let alone mobile web pages.

I can turn my tether on, hop in the car,a nd by the time I get to work, I might have my email inbox updated... most actual applications that are programmed to have sane net activity timeouts will fail.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    They prioritize things in different markets; its just business. Not sure why your area - which is presumably a decent-sized market - is getting neglected, but they've actually been good for many other people in many places. They worked well for me in the past when I visited certain cities.

Re the topic, it can only be a good thing having more than one GSM carrier. IMO, the trend should be toward more of those.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eblade View Post
    I think the significant downside of this, is that T-Mobile might just choose to close instead. Deutsche Telecom wants nothing to do with them anymore, but there's no one that wants to buy them except for ATT, and ATT apparently can't, or is down to a "10% likelihood".
    This has been one of my fears as well. In this economy I can't see anyone else, especially in Europe, wanting to take them on. They are bleeding money for DT right now which makes them especially unattractive to investors in this economy. If they do fail, the other telcos will end up carving up their assets anyway, so in the end it will be only slightly less damaging than the merger. I understand ATT wanting to grow, but they tried to do it in one fell swoop instead of the smart way in which Verizon did it, which was to gobble up several smaller carriers and markets (i.e. Unicell) until they became this behemoth rather than going for a single major takeover. They still achieved the same objective in the end, they just kind of did it on the sly so as not to raise enough attention to stir up public opposition.
    ... and the T-Mobile twitter account was all about when I was praising how awesome the employees at their stores were (kid you not, they were the nicest people i've seen in the cell phone business in years), but they are not at all responding now that i'm talking about network speed :|

At least when I was in the business 7 years ago, T-Mobile in Detroit's main function was to sell world phones, the vast majority of their business was in Arab and Mexican travellers. The network here was tiny tiny .. and it doesn't look like they've increased it all that much, or done anything on the EDGE support. I spent about 15 minutes yesterday on standard GPRS (where my ping time was in the low 200s, but the data rate was at most 8kbps), and about 10 minutes with no data capability at all .. yuck. They may not get another $30 out of me.
    Author:
    GO OPEN WEBOS!
    There is now a good chance that T-mobiles revenue will increase. A large number of people left the network in fear of the ATT merger. *If* memory serves, T-mobile lost 50k customers in the month after the initial announcement of the merger.

Now that there is a definitive trend about the merger, I feel confident enough to start planning for our next phones. Now, if we could get something definitive from HP about webOS...

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities