Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
  1.    #1  
    Have a smartphone for long time (>2-3yrs) motorola motosurf a3100 wiMo6.1 and had $10 unlim data plan max use/mo 96mb mostly range 20-40mb ...now Pre3 "detected" and slammed $25 data plan ...shame... my usage will not change... they claim 4G is reason ...they don't have real 4G and this fone doesn't have LTE so it really ain't 4G but I get screwed for HP/Palm hype...
    Quote Originally Posted by patapoof View Post
    but I get screwed for HP/Palm hype...
    I don't understand about your logic. All the new smartphone, they are charging $25 data fee. What made you so special? If you really don't want to pay that money, then you should just go back to your old phone, no one is forcing you to use new smartphone. You are not screwed, or maybe we are all got screwed.
    what the f ? how did you get screwed by HP/Palm ?

You only have ATT to blame.

They claims HSPA+ as 4G and Pre 3 supports that.

Regardless you are going to get slammed with the smartphone data plan, if you upgrade to ANY SMARTPHONES released recently
    Premium1 and Vistaus like this.
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Can u call them and tell them you've reverted to a dumb phone (find a IMEI of a dumb phone).

Having the $10 unlimited plan saves alot of money...
    This is exactly the reason I avoid using any phone at&t might know about (I think they are aware of IMEI ranges and detect from there).. I usually stick to Nokia models at&t don't carry.
    so you bought an AT&T branded smartphone, and are then surprised that AT&T knows it's a smartphone?
    Premium1 and Vistaus like this.
    this is the reason that I switched away from att. They force a smartphone data plan on you even thought you are only planning to use Wi-Fi for data.

it is my phone, let me do whatever I want with it. You have no right.
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenfan View Post
    this is the reason that I switched away from att. They force a smartphone data plan on you even thought you are only planning to use Wi-Fi for data.

it is my phone, let me do whatever I want with it. You have no right.
    Same as other company, atleast in US. I know for sure Verizon does the same. And I believe Sprint too, maybe Tmobile let you keep the smartphone without data charge? I am not sure. Anyway, OP didn't get screwed. Nobody forced him to get the smartphone.
    nope.. Verizon doesn't automatically add data to your plan.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    Same as other company, atleast in US. I know for sure Verizon does the same. And I believe Sprint too, maybe Tmobile let you keep the smartphone without data charge? I am not sure. Anyway, OP didn't get screwed. Nobody forced him to get the smartphone.
    I just called AT&T and asked them so set up "data opt-out" feature, then I gave my old palm pixi to my daughter. So she can use wi-fi only, and her data plan price is $0.00
    nope.. Verizon doesn't automatically add data to your plan.
    I am pretty sure they do. I have verizon, I tried to make my Pre without data plan, they wouldn't let me. Even some feature phone, they were trying to put the data plan same as smartphone. Plus, Verizon and Sprint uses CDMA, they have more control over what kind of device their customer is activated. Verizon wouldn't let you activate any kind of smartphone without the data plan added on.
    yes, if you have a phone off-contract, you can run with no data plan (on-contract a data plan is required because the money for the data plan is figured into the phone subsidy). but that's not what the OP wants. he wants to keep using a cheap feature-phone data plan with a new 4G (by AT&T's definition) smartphone. this MIGHT have worked if the OP had purchased an UK Pre3, which last I read AT&T did not identify as a smartphone. I know people have reported being able to use an AT&T GoPhone Unlimited feature-phone plan with the UK Pre3, while the AT&T Pre3 requires an extra-cost smartphone data package.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    yes, if you have a phone off-contract, you can run with no data plan (on-contract a data plan is required because the money for the data plan is figured into the phone subsidy). but that's not what the OP wants. he wants to keep using a cheap feature-phone data plan with a new 4G (by AT&T's definition) smartphone. this MIGHT have worked if the OP had purchased an UK Pre3, which last I read AT&T did not identify as a smartphone. I know people have reported being able to use an AT&T GoPhone Unlimited feature-phone plan with the UK Pre3, while the AT&T Pre3 requires an extra-cost smartphone data package.
    Yeah.. That. If you have phone off-contract, you don't need data. Heck, you don't need to contact them to switch phone either. You can either do it on the website or just dial *228 on your phone.
    johnj2803 likes this.
    so if I were to go on at&t right now, off contract with my pre 3, I wouldn't have to pay for a data plan?
    if you don't want a data plan, you don't have to have one.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnsonx42 View Post
    No I also have tried to activate a Pre and asked for no data plan and I was told no. The Pre in question was not purchased via Verizon and is not contract bound. I simply activated that phone on PagePlus.
    Yeah.. That. If you have phone off-contract, you don't need data. Heck, you don't need to contact them to switch phone either. You can either do it on the website or just dial *228 on your phone.
    He says he switched and they detected his phone and jacked his rates. I suspect he did the switch via IMEI and now they have figured out it's not a phone that is permitted on that data plan.
    My sister uses an iPhone 3G with a GoPhone plan without any data, perfectly legitimately. If you're willing to put up with a GoPhone plan it's a very good deal.
    pre3 on at&t here. $10 unlimited "dumbphone" data (on a family plan with unlimited texting).
    Touchpad 16GB
    Pre3 (UK)
    Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    I went from an ATT Treo 680 to an ATT Pre+ to an ATT Pre3. I am grandfathered in with a $15 unlimited "smartphone" data plan. Called last week to have the new phone provisioned for 4g - which was done without an issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by passlogix View Post
    You are not screwed, or maybe we are all got screwed.
    You all got screwed. At least when it comes to cell phone plans
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast