1.    #1  
    ug...

I'm in the bay area and I updated my treo 270 to 1.1 and GPRS worked wonderfully for the last two months over cingular. last week I went up to vancouver and my phone worked for a day and after that I would not able to find a network (and no mister flip looking for it...)

when I got back I called handspring and they went through a trouble shoot with me where they had me download the reset radio app, run it to try to fix the problem. when running it caused a fatal alert on my treo, so the tech guy arranged to have a new one sent out. (uh, do you think the reset radio app is incompatible with the GPRS update?)

I got the new treo yesterday and it works fine, of course I threw caution to the wind and did the 1.1.1 update (I used the singapore carrier file and the OSX updater for europe.) again my phone was working fine no problems yesterday and today the same thing: when I try to find a network, no mr. flip. I tried the reset radio app and guess what: fatal error...so my guess is it is incompatible with the update...)

so now what...I don't think I want to call handspring on this one...

or perhaps this is the real reason that cingular hasn't become official...
    I can't say that I have the answer to your problem, but I do know that there is no reason to run the radio reset files as they were rolled up in the gprs upgrade.
    I doubt highly that your problem has anything to do with the gprs upgrade and Cingular! I've been running it for 120 days flawlessly on Cingulars network.
    I've read through many other posts here at TC that if you let your battery completely drain itself until the treo is dead and than hot sync and completely charge it up again it will restore the radio issue that you are incountering.
    I should also mention in order to speed up the battery draining process, go into your memo pad and create a new memo. Type :shortcut: .3 and this will keep your treo "on" continously and that way your battery will drain much faster.
  4.    #4  
    so the running the battery out worked. but the trick is to make sure that the treo goes completely dead. one nice thing that I discovered it that the treo is pretty tenacious about keeping data. after letting it drain to the point where it wouldn't turn on, I noticed that there was still enough residual power for the palm screen to come up after a soft reset and low and behold when I placed the treo in it's cradle, my settings were still there (date and time...)

so I started futzing around with it and I found that if you push the jog wheel in while hitting the reset button, the treo goes into a diagnostic mode, the signal light (green/red light) flashes a few times and then the screen turns on with all black pixels back lit. and here is the cool part, it will stay in this mode until you hit reset again or until the batteries go completely flat. once the treo shuts off it will be totally dead and when you place it in the cradle, it immediately goes to the digitizer screen and when you get to date and time, it of course will be wrong.

I let the treo charge over night and this morning I reinserted my sim card and there was mr flip doing his little dance when I turned the radio on.

so here is my theory as to why the radio gets confused. the first time this happened to me was when I was up in vancouver. when I got there the treo registered immediately onto the Rogers AT&T network and I got a little page saying welcome to canada, dial 611 for technical help and 411 for a directory. so when I was waiting for my ride I decided to check my email, so I tried logging on to the local GPRS network. now here is the thing: I suspect that the coverage in the airport was a bit spotty so when the treo was doing it's logon dance I probably walked into a low coverage spot and that's what hosed the radio.

that treo got sent back to handspring and I updated the new one to 1.1.1, throwing caution to the wind, and after all GPRS worked fine for two months. after the update it logged in fine and all was good. but...

I have the new snappermail installed. and one of it's cool features is that it can pick up your mail periodically which of course means it will hit the GPRS network every 30 minutes or so (or whatever interval you choose.) coverage in my place sucks so basically I can't use the treo or any GSM phone while sitting on the couch, so my guess is that snappermail hit the network at some point when there was service and then I physically moved to a place where there wasn't and it from that point confused the radio.

if this is the case, I'd imagine that given how spotty the cingular network can be, this would explain their reluctance to bless GPRS given the fix is a bit of a pain in the *** (let your treo run totally down and call us back later...)

what do you guys think?
    I'm impressed! Amazing that the fix works, you should post a new thread to let people know!

Thanks!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    Originally posted by vordo
    so the running the battery out worked. but the trick is to make sure that the treo goes completely dead. one nice thing that I discovered it that the treo is pretty tenacious about keeping data. after letting it drain to the point where it wouldn't turn on, I noticed that there was still enough residual power for the palm screen to come up after a soft reset and low and behold when I placed the treo in it's cradle, my settings were still there (date and time...)

so I started futzing around with it and I found that if you push the jog wheel in while hitting the reset button, the treo goes into a diagnostic mode, the signal light (green/red light) flashes a few times and then the screen turns on with all black pixels back lit. and here is the cool part, it will stay in this mode until you hit reset again or until the batteries go completely flat. once the treo shuts off it will be totally dead and when you place it in the cradle, it immediately goes to the digitizer screen and when you get to date and time, it of course will be wrong.

So how long does it take to run out the battery - mine has been going for almost 4 hours now with that Black/Bluish screen.
    Darren Greenspoon
    www.allstarsportscamp.ca
    I Used the radio reset app to drain out the battery and it took over 8 hours one time...Right now my treo is not working again and i just did the radio reset. The digitizer and date and time all went back to 2001 so i know that it took and completely killed the unit. I just plugged it in and started to charge it and for kicks put a SIM in to see if it would work and i STILL am not getting a flip dialog box. This is so fustrating, I am going to let it charge over night and then try again..anyone else have any other suggestions?
    Had the same problem (drained my batt 4 times). Did the JogDial fix, the Radio Reset fix, the disconnect the battery fix... no joy.
    My fix was a re-install of the GPRS updater.
    That fixed it!
    www.gsmworld.com
    Don't handspring have a fix on there website?

http://support.handspring.com/esupport/html/noflip.jsp

1 for GPRS & 2 for GSM
    This radio reset app doesn't always work. Sometimes it takes a lot of playing or just calling up and getting a unit to solve the problem