Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So here it is: I upgraded to GPRS with T-Mobile, using my Treo 270 and I can't tell the difference in speed as far as my e-mails go, in fact: I can't use my current ISP to send mail (smtp setting) because it isn't "open relay." And that is true for most ISPs. And then there's StockManager, a slick program to track stocks online. This program will not work with GPRS. So here I am: Back to dial up wirelessly with my Treo and my ISP, avoiding T-Mobile's GPRS. Unless T-Mobile can prove me otherwise, I am ditching GPRS.
    It's nice not having to connect via dialup anymore. Web pages do load quicker (which is nice when you want a quick look) and email works pretty well. Verichat is also a cool app. Want a cool program, im sure someone will develop it. For $20 bucks a month at 10mb, thats less than a buck a day. The data connection seems stronger than dialup, even when voice signal is low I can usually get data. I've not used barely over 5mb in one month over the last few...I try to check small sites. The phone seems to ring while on an internet page, so no missed calls. going from Dialup to GPRS to me was like going to DSL, not as fast, but pages do come in within a few seconds. I can't go backwards!

As for the SMTP settings, I own a domain name and use that server without problems. If you know anyone that owns one, ask if you can use it. If not, get a domain name and it will work!
    Christo

"it's not the quantity, but the quality"

There are NO Limits
    I can got Stock Manager to work via GPRS. Make sure that you have the latest version to install.

I also can get all of my e-mail address (from 3 different providers) to work. We may be able to help you out if you provide us with the details of the problem.

I like the always on nature of the GPRS service. I do not really care much about speed. I use GPRS to chat and check mail, and dialup to look up information on the net.

Originally posted by m00se
    So here it is: I upgraded to GPRS with T-Mobile, using my Treo 270 and I can't tell the difference in speed as far as my e-mails go, in fact: I can't use my current ISP to send mail (smtp setting) because it isn't "open relay." And that is true for most ISPs. And then there's StockManager, a slick program to track stocks online. This program will not work with GPRS. So here I am: Back to dial up wirelessly with my Treo and my ISP, avoiding T-Mobile's GPRS. Unless T-Mobile can prove me otherwise, I am ditching GPRS.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    I could never go back to dial up now...I think that it is worth it.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks for your comment, especially regarding StockManager. I am using the latest version of StockManager with T-Mobile's GPRS, but unable to retrieve stock information no matter what I do (I tried different proxies as well). Do you use T-Mobile's GPRS or a different one?
    And thanks everyone for your comments: I appreciate it them a lot!
    m00se
    Moose,

I am not using T-Mobile GPRS. But it should not matter if your other internet apps such as Blazer is working. I think you should contact the guy at TinyStocks about this one.

Thanks for your comment, especially regarding StockManager. I am using the latest version of StockManager with T-Mobile's GPRS, but unable to retrieve stock information no matter what I do (I tried different proxies as well). Do you use T-Mobile's GPRS or a different one?
    And thanks everyone for your comments: I appreciate it them a lot!
    m00se
  7.    #7  
    yardie,
    I did contact StockManager, they said it's a proxy issue. I got the proxy for T-Mobile and it's not working still. Did you have to get a proxy from your GPRS provider?
    Thanks, m00se
    I didn't have to fiddle with any proxy settings after the GPRS upgrade. Everything just worked -- including Stock Manager. Perhaps T-Mobile have a special or proprietary setup (I detest proprietary setups).

yardie,
    I did contact StockManager, they said it's a proxy issue. I got the proxy for T-Mobile and it's not working still. Did you have to get a proxy from your GPRS provider?
    Thanks, m00se
    I don't think it's worth it. $19.99/mo for 10MB/mo, that can be another cell phone plan for a wife/gf/kids/etc.

I just disconnected my GPRS, can't handle this stupid pricing scheme.

I'm not willing to switch to Sprint.

Stan
    <placeyouremail@here.com>....Relaying denied.
    IP name lookup failed [10.196.223.228]
    Performance-wise: yes! It's like going from dial-up to DSL (IMHO). E-mail via Basejet is faster, always-on connection, connection more stable (at least in my location). I could never go back to dial-up on my 270.

Cost-wise: no! You have probably read other threads about T-Mo's pricing problem. When my year with T-Mo is up, I am seriously considering buying a 300 and switching to Sprint. $10/mo for unlimited data can't be beat! Listen up, T-Mo!!!
    My experience with GPRS has been good so far, except for one detail (see below).

- I have a Treo 270.

- Using it with Vodafone Omnitel in Italy. I pay 0.5 Euro Cent per KB with no monthly fee for GPRS. Fair enough.

- I'm using Blazer for web browser, but rather seldom. Not much fun for me with the tiny screen and still rather slow download speed.

+ I've signed up for the TreoMail trial three days ago and I like it very much. Works painlessly. Great user interface, which allows to read mail with closed lid. So far, I've received 20 mails on the handheld, which consumed about 250kb of traffic (auto-checking every hour). I miss two things:
    o Push notification of new mail, instead of having to check mail by pull. I understand this is going to be possible only with UMTS, seeing that most GPRS providers prefer to use NAT instead of giving out public IPs to clients.
    o The ability to easiliy turn off mail forwarding to TreoMail while I'm in the office and able to check mail with the desktop.

+ The coolest thing, by far, is using MSN Messenger Force. Now I'm always online, never lost (does anyone remember the famous etoy gang?).
    - I've also tried PalmMessenger, a Java client. Doesn't come close to Messenger Force, IMHO.

- I've tried PokeServe, a web server for PalmOS. Unfortunately, doesn't work due to NAT.

- As mentioned in another post, the GPRS update removes the history button from the phone application. That sucks, and no one told me before.
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by tobiasr
    My experience with GPRS has been good so far, except for one detail (see below).

- I have a Treo 270.

- Using it with Vodafone Omnitel in Italy. I pay 0.5 Euro Cent per KB with no monthly fee for GPRS. Fair enough.

- I'm using Blazer for web browser, but rather seldom. Not much fun for me with the tiny screen and still rather slow download speed.

+ I've signed up for the TreoMail trial three days ago and I like it very much. Works painlessly. Great user interface, which allows to read mail with closed lid. So far, I've received 20 mails on the handheld, which consumed about 250kb of traffic (auto-checking every hour). I miss two things:
    o Push notification of new mail, instead of having to check mail by pull. I understand this is going to be possible only with UMTS, seeing that most GPRS providers prefer to use NAT instead of giving out public IPs to clients.
    o The ability to easiliy turn off mail forwarding to TreoMail while I'm in the office and able to check mail with the desktop.

+ The coolest thing, by far, is using MSN Messenger Force. Now I'm always online, never lost (does anyone remember the famous etoy gang?).
    - I've also tried PalmMessenger, a Java client. Doesn't come close to Messenger Force, IMHO.

- I've tried PokeServe, a web server for PalmOS. Unfortunately, doesn't work due to NAT.

- As mentioned in another post, the GPRS update removes the history button from the phone application. That sucks, and no one told me before.
    Thanks tobiasr!
    The more I use GPRS the better I like it...
    There seems to be a massive amount of confusion over the smtp side of email when using GPRS. You *should not* be using your ISPs SMTP server for your outgiong mail when connected through GPRS. Open relays are a bad thing and the reason that no-one allows them is because they give spammers a free ride into your mailbox.

The answer is simple: speak to the company that supplies your GPRS account and ask their technical department for their SMTP server address. Since you will be connected to their network, you will be able to send email through their server without it being an open relay.

Don't worry about the fact that your email address is different - SMTP doesn't care what outgoing email address you use, you can change it to whatever you want. All it wants to know is that you are authorised to send email through their mail relay, which you will be because you have connected through their GPRS system.

As an example, I have two email accounts; one is my personal domain name and the other is with a UK ISP. My GPRS connection is with the UK phone company Orange and I have no email addresses with them. I set my outgoing SMTP address for each mail account to Orange's server and Bob's your uncle, works perfectly.

The person above who is using his own domain to send mail through is running an open relay; open relays are as close to being illegal on the net as you can get. What you're doing is very dangerous and inconsiderate. The ISP that hosts your domain name should really know better than to allow it. I don't know of any responsible ISPs that will allow clients to operate an open relay in this manner.

If anyone has problems with this concept drop me a line and I'll go over it.

Lee.
  14.    #14  
    Originally posted by Lee@Dvddebate
    The answer is simple: speak to the company that supplies your GPRS account and ask their technical department for their SMTP server address. Since you will be connected to their network, you will be able to send email through their server without it being an open relay.Lee.
    T-Mo (the GPRS and phone provider) in the US does not have its own SMTP server address (at least that is what the tech support person told me). Another way to deal with this issue is to get a free POP email account without it being an open relay.
    One example is -----> http://www.softhome.net/
    Then you set your SMTP to: mail.softhome.net

It works very well for me!
    m00se
    Last edited by m00se; 02/17/2003 at 08:12 PM.
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education.
    -Mark Twain
    I tried GPRS on my 180 and even upgraded to a 300 with Sprint to see how their "3G Vision" service was. Bottom line for me.... not worth it. I found Vision to be no faster in my area than T-Mobile's GPRS. My advice... wait till T-Mobile sees the light and lowers their price for GPRS. Until then, get a plan with a good size bucket of minutes. It's cheaper in the long run. $39.99 for 1000 minutes. I check my e-mail multiple time a day and use Blazer for something at least a dozen or more times a week. I usually end up even synching my Avantgo content once a month (I know it's slow) but still have not gone over my minutes.

Just my opinion ;>)
    Up the Creek.... Try the River!
    www.riverontheweb.com

Moblog: bluefrog.textamerica.com
    It's probably not worth it. I got it in order to get the $150 rebate on the treo 180. The problem is that it rarely stays connected and almost always requires a wireless-off, wireless-on cycle to work.

As I typed this, I tried to get the current weather from a PQA. As is typical, the GPRS connection had gone bad. It took 2 minutes to get the data (from a PQA). This is what happens:

Enter zip code in PQA.
    Treo "connects" to GPRS (even though I've used it today).
    Connection doesn't work (PQA displays error, as will any app)
    Turn off wireless mode. Wait for this to happen (a few seconds)
    Turn on wireless mode. Wait for handshaking.
    Resubmit query in PQA
    Wait for GPRS connection
    Receive data.

This is a pretty big pain, I can't imagine using a dialup server could be slower. Dirtcheapdialup.com has plans for as little as $.39 an hour, billed to the second. I'll cancel GPRS as soon as the minimum period to get the rebate has passed.

P.S. I'm in the New York area which is supposed to have notoriously bad GPRS. Other areas are supposed to be better.
    Recently T-mobile GPRS in NY area seems to have gotten better. I used to always have to try to connect to GPRS twice before it would work. Now it usually connects on first try.

It's not necessary to turn off wireless mode. When the GPRS connection doesn't work on the first try for me, i go into Blazer and do a :menu:-d. This disconnects the GPRS connection. Then use any internet app to get it to reconnect again. It always works on second try for some reason.

I think this way is faster then turning off wireless and turning it back on.
    I use GPRS for email mostly, I find it great.

I guess if one uses Snappermail or Eudora for Palm (free!) there should be no problems with SMTP since with these programs one can define if and how the mail client shall login to the SMTP server.

Snappermail allows checking the mail automatically and has lots of other great features, it is really a very cool mail program!

Happy GPRSing and regards,

Claudio
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    I use this app all the time. When you install Stock Manager, it will ask you if you have a Palm IV. Click yes. Then make sure you have the Palm wireless web files installed, that allow you to run PQAs. This causes Stock Manager to bypass T-Mobile's http gateway and use Palm's. Hope this helps.
    I have no idea what you folks are smoking. First, I see no difference in GPRS vs. Wireless Dialup since downloading is very quick compared to the time it takes Blazer to render a page. I have tried both using T-Mobile and my ISP. So I see little reason to pay for GPRS, other than the fact that you're not charged for viewing a page, simply for downloading the content. Maybe things are better with email, but that's not the killer app for me on a Treo.

On a related note, does anyone know of a way to turn a Treo into a wireless modem (or GPRS connection) for your laptop? Maybe even through the sync cable??
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast