Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hawkins/Dubinsky: This is your 12/13/02 wake up call.

This note is an opportunity for you to respond to those of us who bought your product, and have yet to recieve the services we were promised by mid-year 2002, namely GPRS on Cingular.

If you do not bother to communicate with us, I will return my Handspring equipment to you at your corporate headquarters in Mountain View, CA (which is just right down the road from me). I will expect a full refund of the price of my hardware, which in cludes three Treo's and many related accessories.

Furthermore, if you do not provide me with 1) an explanation, or 2) a full rufund, then I will organize a class action law suit against your company for misleading your Customers. The legal counsel is already lined up. You will be sued for not only the cost of the equipment, but also all legal fees incurred by me and the yet to be formed class.

Furthermore, I will make sure that many of your unhappy Customers will be present on your upcoming 2002 earnings conference call. I listened to the last one. It was boring. The next one will not be boring.

Finally, we will also show up at your annual shareholders meeting, which was going to be a big yawn, but I'm sure we'll spice it up. All we have to do is buy one share of your stock to be present. At todays price of $1.17, this shouldn't be a problem.

Consider this your final opportunity to say something intelligent about your inability to deliver GPRS to the users of your product in a timely manner.

The text of this e-mail has been sent to Handspring Customer Service and posted to treocentral.com.

HRB
    You don't seem to care that it is probably cingular's failure more than hand's that creates this delay. The fact that TMobile is working now means the patch works, and likely Cingular simply had technical issues that TMobile didn't. On the legal side, Hand never made an explicit promise to you about when gprs would be offered at Cingular. Finally, reality is that it is not in Hand's interest to delay the cingular patch. It costs them dramatic money for every day of delay.

Yet the attitude conveyed is that you are tired of waiting for the Cingular patch, and don't care who suffers as a result of your impatience. Have you noticed that even though you talked about a class action, you appear to be the only person so far who thinks your own position is reasonable? Maybe it would help your perspective, if you could try to work with that class action idea a bit more. For example, how about trying to create a mindset in which people other than yourself mattered too.

(btw I have no connection to Hand or Treo Central. I just am just a bystander who thinks your post was out of line.)
    It is very obvious that Cingular is the souce of the delay. Why would Handspring release the GPRS upgrade for all their other partners witgh the exception of Cingular? Bide your time, I think you will have GPRS within a few weeks.
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
    Still, Handspring had to have the patch for the carriers to approve it. That still took too much time. They were probably busy working on the Treo 300.
    But the original patch has been out since September. Its ow December and Cingular customers are still in the cold.

Originally posted by Appleman
    Still, Handspring had to have the patch for the carriers to approve it. That still took too much time. They were probably busy working on the Treo 300.
    Originally posted by rvwink
    You don't seem to care that it is probably cingular's failure more than hand's that creates this delay.
    I have no problem with that. But if this is truly the case, then Handspring should come out and SAY SO.

You will notice that I didn't buy my phone from Cingular, I bought it from Handspring, therefore it is THEIR problem. If they don't like getting yelled at, then they should tell us where to direct the blame. If they choose not to, then I guess they can just suck it up and let their PRPRPR $fall$. $Their$ $choice$.
    Originally posted by jchristopher
    I have no problem with that. But if this is truly the case, then Handspring should come out and SAY SO.
    Hey Cingular is Hand's customer and the customer is always right. Bottom line is I think one has to live with the fact that Hand simply can't point the finger at the real culprit i.e. its customer that it is hoping to do future business with. I fear that excuse is just a rationalization on your part.

Hey Cingular is Hand's customer and the customer is always right.
    No, I AM handspring's customer. They seem to have forgotten that, which is probably why they won't exist in a year.

It doesn't matter what kind of relationship they have with Cingular if nobody buys their devices.
    Hanspring never made any express or implied dates about when the release would be, in fact everything they released said they hoped to have it out. If you read the press releases they don't make foward looking statements and the delay is Cingulars fault, blame does not lie with handspring. There are a lot of other reasons to bash handspring but this is not one of them. Handpsring can't put pressure on Cingular to certify it because Cingular hasn't invested the time or money to test it
    That seems to be the core of the problem. In order to make you happy, you want Hand to be a "loose cannon" and turn on Cingular, making them look bad. Then Cingular would dump Hand for hurting their reputations and how would that help you? Hand would have told the truth, and you would be unable to use your Treo on Cingular's network. Point is they don't need to spell it out. You should have been able to figure it out yourself by reading between the lines.
    No, I AM handspring's customer. They seem to have forgotten that, which is probably why they won't exist in a year.
  11.    #11  
    I re-read my post, and yes it's a bit silly and a bit over the top. Forgive me for an inflamatory post during a moment of total frustration with this ridiculous company.

I am a Customer.

I expect more than an nonsensical reply to my questions to the company via e-mail.

I expect at least a call back from a Company when I ask a simple question.

I expect at least a little bit of news on a patch that is six months overdue, not just silence. And, no I should not have to read between the lines.

I have all of these rights because I have $2K invested in their gear, and I'm stuck with three Cingular contracts that they sold to me via their website.

With all of that said, it's not the six month delay, and my precious patch that I'm ticked about. It's the lack of communication. I thought that was pretty clear in my post.

Finally, since you saw fit to critique my "selfish" point of view, allow me to reciprocate: It is ridiculous for you to be so apologetic for the corporate underachievers of America, and it's almost as if you are chiding me to feel sorry for poor Handspring.

On the contrary, if Hawkins/Dubinsky can't manage the multiple constituencies (Carriers, Customers, Suppliers, Employees, Channels, etc.) necessary for their company to suceed, that is their short coming, and none of us should have to calmly wait for them to make up for their inadequacies and blunders on this matter. Especially if they don't even bother to return e-mails and calls, or provide any sort of updates and communication.

Not to worry, I do feel sorry for them. They've built very little, if any, brand loyalty with the Treo line. In fact, as you can see from the many many irrate posts on this board, they've upset a lot of people with their slow and silent launch of GPRS. The Treo 270/300 will be leap frogged by P800, 7135, Jornada, I330, etc. in early 2003, and unless Handspring has their next generation of hardware ready to compete, they are finished.

I work for a company that almost went under, primarily because we treated our Customers the way Handspring does. Luckily, we found our way, and we are thriving today. I hope Handspring wakes up before it's too late.

HRB
    They wont be here in a year if they **** their carrier partners off either. There is no need for Handspring to blame Cingular for the problem... It is obvious where the bottleneck is.

It doesn't matter what kind of relationship they have with Cingular if nobody buys their devices.
    This post is like complaining to BMW because the bridge is closed.
    Where I live, there was this drunk driver that got into an accident and he sued the bar that sold him the drinks accusing them of selling him the booze even tho he was already drunk!
    Ed
    Visor Deluxe, Prism, Visorphone, Treo 270, Treo 600, Treo 650, and am eagerly waiting for the next generation Treo...but wait...is that the iPhone????
    I can understand (rbrar) frustration, but I do agree that Hands' hands are tight up behind their back, and it ain't their fault. Besides, Treo is a great product, just read the great reviews everywhere! If you return your Treo, you lose out, as simple as that. We need to support this small company (Handspring) that gives us such innovative and exciting products. Criticism is healthy but in this case it seems unfair for you are barking at the wrong tree.
    m00se
  16.    #16  
    My point is that they're doing a crappy job of communicating with their Customers. You don't have to point the finger at anyone (Cingular) to just communicate.

Is that too much to ask? Is utter silence, and then forcing your Customers to read between the lines, check discussion boards, use hacked patchs, etc. any way to run a company?

Perhaps I'm just a bit sensitive because I bought this thing to replace my Palm, Phone, & Blackberry, and nearly one year latter, it still can't do it. Before you tell me my expectations were too high, I'll refer to you Jeff Hawkins' COMDEX address where he tells us all exactly this.

Again, as I've already admited, my first post had too much venom, but you all are cutting Handspring way to much slack. It is their job to manage the relationship with the wireless carrier and make the product work as advertised for the end user. And it's there job to communicate with their Customer base, not just leave them in the dark, wondering.

Finally, I'm done posting on this topic. I hope it as provided some entertainment. The next time I loose my temper, I'll keep it to myself!

I hope they come up with the Cingular patch, someday.

HRB
    That seems to be the core of the problem. In order to make you happy, you want Hand to be a "loose cannon" and turn on Cingular, making them look bad. Then Cingular would dump Hand for hurting their reputations and how would that help you? Hand would have told the truth, and you would be unable to use your Treo on Cingular's network. Point is they don't need to spell it out. You should have been able to figure it out yourself by reading between the lines.
    First, you should understand that Cingular can't "dump Handspring" because Cingular never adopted Handspring in the first place!

I live in Los Angeles. None of the Cingular stores have the Treo. When you call Cingular, their phone staff have no idea of what it is or how it works. Cingular has also never participated in the various rebate/discount programs that made getting a Treo attractive the way T-Mobile has. To this day, Cingular wants $499 for a Treo 270 WITH a 2 YEAR CONTRACT. Ridiculous. They don't even offer the 180 anymore, and never discounted it when they did.

The entire company could care less about Handspring's devices.

As to your comment about being "unable to use your Treo on Cingular's network", that's nonsense. As has already been demonstrated, all that is necesary to use Cingular is an activated SIM card and an unlocked GSM phone. Your GSM Treo will work fine on Cingular until the day it dies, whether Cingular likes Handspring or not.
    Originally posted by rbrar

On the contrary, if Hawkins/Dubinsky can't manage the multiple constituencies (Carriers, Customers, Suppliers, Employees, Channels, etc.) necessary for their company to suceed, that is their short coming, and none of us should have to calmly wait for them to make up for their inadequacies and blunders on this matter.
    HRB
    Indeed. Companies that aren't getting it done go under all the time.

And I totally agree with your comments about their financials. Handspring has obviously abandoned their traditional Visor handheld line and bet the farm on the Treo.

There really isn't a lot more to do with a Palm platform PDA/phone that hasn't been done. Always-on data was the "killer-app" that would move a lot of devices. Unfortunately, HAND screwed the pooch (either directly by being late with the software, or indirectly by poorly managing their relationship with the carriers) and it's probably going to cost them the company.

That sucks for them, and it sucks for us, the folks who have their devices. Luckily, some other company is going to step in and deliver what HAND could not. That's just the way it works. I look forward to having a phone/Palm/data device shortly, and I'm guessing it won't say "Handspring" on it.
    Originally posted by yardie
    They wont be here in a year if they **** their carrier partners off either. There is no need for Handspring to blame Cingular for the problem... It is obvious where the bottleneck is.

I disagree, Handspring could continue making GSM phones without the carriers. There is no reason at all that they couldn't.

Sell unlocked devices direct from the website. Update the software when you feel like it, not on a carrier's schedule. The whole thing probably would have gone better if they'd done that from the beginning.

Treo users would be happy and we wouldn't have this nonsense (such as the ringtone being overwritten with the T-Mobile ringer) that always seems to occur when some corporate marketing department starts minding their users business.
    >Handspring could continue making GSM phones without the carriers. There is no reason at all that they couldn't. <

Hand's new CFO actually said in an investors conference that they would seriously contemplate not establshing a relationship with a service provider if it couldn't include some form of partnership in which they were able to work more closely in marketing and customizing the product to be easier for the customer to set up and use. If user friendly is the secret to success, then Hand needs strong relationships with their service providers. That way the user doesn't have to struggle to get himself up and running.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast