Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    >Actually, I'd speculate that sales have not been good. Products that are selling briskly don't usually get deep discounts and DVD players thrown in for good measure.<

The recent ZD NET article indicates a couple of problems. First, with Handspring particularly, they are predicting HS to be acquired in the next year or so. Second, with PALM OS in particular, they are saying now that POCKET PCs are matching pricing (and on the other hand PALM OS has departed from its original vision of simplicity and is trying but not nec always matching features....), look for MS to make inroads ...and eventually overtake the Palm OS.

The other problems endemic with Treo and other HS products have been mentioned, but let's be clear:

--These things are VERY expensive
    --Yet, the quality control is awful. You spend a ton of money. And 12 months later you need a new one. (My Prism just died...)
    ---They seem to go out of their way to make you keep spending money. The Prism made every accessory for the Visor obsolete. The TREO makes all my Prism accessories obsolete, travel chargers, battery packs, case. SO when I upgraded to a TREO recently, it just wasn't a matter of the TREO cost. I also had to buy a new emergency charger, a new battery pack, a new serial sync device, a new case. My springboards, custom stylii, headsets, flash modules, and Targus keyboard all became obsolete, and can't even be replaced, though I might like to.

Why not just hold a bonfire and burn the dough??? How difficult would it have been to have provided an adapter to make the emergency charger for Prism also work for Treo? Perhaps some things were unavoidable--but some weren't.

---The infancy of wireless makes this not as easy and certainly not as cheap as Handspring pretends.

After dumping all this dough, plus accessories, a lot of people find to their further shock, that a phone plan in fact doesn't get them internet access. They need a dialup (and those of us with broadband at home, can't use the one we already have for access--so now, let's pay twice....)OR they have to sign up with GRPS--which, however, is rather pricey if you are actually going to use it. SO in addition to the capital expenditure, you get a rather high monthly cost, which is daunting for some people.

Then, there are other issues. No competition amongst providers. INcomplete coverage. Etc.

In short: spend a ton of money. Then spend more on unexpected expenses. In return, you get a technology that is not entirely ready for prime time and may be obsolete due to tri-band and 3g issues soon, and a device that seems to have a certain fragility and poor quality control.

Want to know why sales are slow? It appeals to the well-heeled geek market, the early adopters, but it is daunting to everyone else.
    Originally posted by rbrar
    Thanks for the link.
    Heres a link that shows that Cingular is introducing the Sony P800 device next year. It is possible that Hand is crafting a sprint type relationship with TMobile complete with a proprietary model forcing Cingular to find a competitive phone. Could that be that is why Cingular is not in a hurry to facilitate the introduction of the Hand patch? The link is actually a pretty good summary of the current smartphone market.

http://www.visorvillage.com/articles...ome-of-p6.html
    Why can't Handspring have an arrangement with both? AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $they$ $serve$ $different$ $territories$ $for$ $the$ $most$ $part$.

Originally posted by rvwink

Heres a link that shows that Cingular is introducing the Sony P800 device next year. It is possible that Hand is crafting a sprint type relationship with TMobile complete with a proprietary model forcing Cingular to find a competitive phone. Could that be that is why Cingular is not in a hurry to facilitate the introduction of the Hand patch? The link is actually a pretty good summary of the current smartphone market.

http://www.visorvillage.com/articles...ome-of-p6.html
    My life is in my Treo... Where is yours?
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123