1.    #1  
    Before you upgrade to GPRS, please do what I DIDN'T do-- Consider whether it's really worth it or not.

It's been two days since I've had GPRS in NYC on my Treo 180g, with T-Mobile service.

But here is my journey so far:

I finally got an email from Handspring telling me about the upgrade. I figured, "Hey... Faster connection? 'Always-on' email? Sure!"

I downloaded the upgrade from Handspring, but first tried to find out (via their site's links to TMobile) how much it would cost. Well, good luck finding that out on the T-Mo site. I don't think a rate chart exists. And if it does, they keep it VERY well hidden. You can only find out HOW they charge. Not WHAT they charge.

After calling to find out prices, I made the upgrade. Well, the updater works well. Except for the fact that, when it erased all my Treo's data, it later replaced EVERY app I had ERASED in the past!

This, in turn, left out some vital software. Like elements of One-Touch, which I still haven't got working again.

Then, after waiting three days, my service kicked in. Well, not really. What I was able to connect to one morning, I wasn't able to by noon. Blazer, my only working app, was still only accessible via my Earthlink dial-up.

When GPRS DID kick in, it just wasn't that much faster.

THEN I find out from T-Mo that I will NOT be able to access my Earthlink mail account any more via GPRS. I will have to disconnect and dial up separately. Defeating the purpose of why I got GPRS in the first place.

Then there was The Battery Drain. Don't know why, but for the first time, my battery almost flatlined in one day. It NEVER did that before.

Add to that the fact all my Ringtone prefs are somehow gone.

I soon found a new problem: I wasn't even able to recieve calls. The one time I called it to test it, it froze on the incoming call and vibrated for 10 minutes.

Calls to Handspring and TMo Tech Support were answered like this: "It wasn't the GPRS upgrade that caused the problems." (Really? I never had any before!)..."We don't give support for One-Touch Mail..." And "You might need to do a hard reset and use it for a day or two without data." (Sure. The holidays are always a good time to walk around without your To Do list.)

And of course:

Me:"Can I REMOVE the GPRS upgrade?" Them: "No."

---->This, my friends, was all in the course of one day.

So: I'm paying more money. My Treo is in worse shape than before. The speed difference isn't dramatic. And it's just created more work.

Do you really need GPRS on your Treo? Think hard.

Next time, my mantra is, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by TPucca
    [THEN I find out from T-Mo that I will NOT be able to access my Earthlink mail account any more via GPRS. I will have to disconnect and dial up separately. Defeating the purpose of why I got GPRS in the first place.

Can't help with your miriad of problems, however whomever told you you can't access your Earthlink email account through GPRS is just plain wrong. I do it all the time and I didn't have to change any settings after the upgrade. I use Eudora mail and am currently evaluating 2banywhere. Both work just fine with earthlink.

Eric
    Originally posted by TPucca
    I downloaded the upgrade from Handspring, but first tried to find out (via their site's links to TMobile) how much it would cost. Well, good luck finding that out on the T-Mo site. I don't think a rate chart exists. And if it does, they keep it VERY well hidden. You can only find out HOW they charge. Not WHAT they charge.
    I don't think their rate chart is that hard to find but T-Mobile's site isn't the best organized I suppose.

After calling to find out prices, I made the upgrade. Well, the updater works well. Except for the fact that, when it erased all my Treo's data, it later replaced EVERY app I had ERASED in the past!
    This is because it looks at your Palm Backup directory to restore applications. Sometimes when you delete Palm applications, they remain in the Backup directory.

This, in turn, left out some vital software. Like elements of One-Touch, which I still haven't got working again.
    Let me guess, it gives you some odd message about not having any communications plug-ins? Look at the One-Touch Mail directory under your Palm folder or on your Treo's software CD. You will find several files with names like vcalplug2.3.prc or elplug2.3.prc. Double-click on them and hotsync to install them. OTMail should work just fine now.

THEN I find out from T-Mo that I will NOT be able to access my Earthlink mail account any more via GPRS. I will have to disconnect and dial up separately. Defeating the purpose of why I got GPRS in the first place.
    This shouldn't be the case. You should be able to access your Earthlink account using the same settings in OTMail once you get it to work properly.

Calls to Handspring and TMo Tech Support were answered like this: "It wasn't the GPRS upgrade that caused the problems." (Really? I never had any before!)..."We don't give support for One-Touch Mail..." And "You might need to do a hard reset and use it for a day or two without data." (Sure. The holidays are always a good time to walk around without your To Do list.)
    Well, a hard reset wouldn't be a bad idea as a last resort. Sometimes, after you've installed and uninstalled a lot of programs on your Treo, you wind up with a lot of cruft that interferes with what you want to do. You experienced a very good example of this phenomenon when the GPRS upgrade restored some of your deleted apps.

Open up your Palm Backup directory and copy all the files in it to a temporary directory. Do the hard reset and sync. This should restore all the information from the built-in applications like the ToDo list but will otherwise leave your Treo without any third party software. Then, go to your temporary directory and reinstall the files one by one until you find the source of your troubles.

And of course:

Me:"Can I REMOVE the GPRS upgrade?" Them: "No."
    Well you are stuck in this respect because the GPRS flashes the Treo's ROM and replaces it with its own software. But once you get the problems ironed out, I think that you'll be happy with the upgrade.

Do you really need GPRS on your Treo?
    I don't even use GPRS (T-Mobile's version is too expensive right now) but I think that the improvements to the phone application make it worth the hassle.
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican

I don't even use GPRS (T-Mobile's version is too expensive right now) but I think that the improvements to the phone application make it worth the hassle.
    What improvements did the GPRS upgrade make to the phone application?
    Am I the only one that thinks that my 270 works much better after the GPRS upgrade ?
    When I called to activate GPRS, I was transfered to the data division, and it was activated while I was on the phone.
    I notice no difference in the battery drain, it connects much quicker that dialup ever did, and mine stays connected all day. While it isn't blazingly fast, it is noticably faster, and more usable now. The echo problem seem to be gone, and the signal strength now seems better. I could never use my treo at home, due to low signal strength (one bar), now it can be as high as three bars at home, and TMO hasn't put up their new tower in my town yet (next summer).
    My only real complaint (at the moment) is that T-Jingle ringtone, but I use TC-Ringer to assign ringtones, and almost all of the calls i get are already assigned seperate ringtones, so I don't hear that one very much.
    Originally posted by tomho

What improvements did the GPRS upgrade make to the phone application?
    In addition to GPRS, the upgrade also added:
    • The ability to activate the speakerphone while the Treo is still dialing
    • A Mute button has been added to the calling screen
    • Shortcut buttons for hanging up, the speakerphone, mute button, and hold button are now clearly labeled during a call
    • Phone button no longer cycles to the phone history but it is still available as a menu item
    • Switching to the Contacts list is slightly faster
    Originally posted by DarthRepublican
    [*]Phone button no longer cycles to the phone history but it is still available as a menu item[*]Switching to the Contacts list is slightly faster[/list]
    Yes. Heeeeeeeeeeelp I wanna get my history button back! This is the most often used view for me, and it sucks to press Menu+Y all the time.
  8.    #8  
    I've had nothing but trouble with my Treo since GPRS. Fatal Exception Errors, disconnections unexpectedly, spotty service.

Anyone who says this GPRS upgrade is great, I'd love to argue toe-to-toe with.
    I've had nothing but trouble with my Treo since GPRS. Fatal Exception Errors, disconnections unexpectedly, spotty service.

If you get Fatal Exceptions when running Blazer, check that the Blazer cache size is smaller than your available memory.

I had a lot of crashes after installing GPRS, and when I deleted some rarely-used large data files, the crashes stopped.

Michael
  10.    #10  
    Will give it a shot. Thanks.

Any solution for unexpected disconnections from the GPRS network?

Another problem: Most times I can't access my email server via OneTouch unless I do a soft reset and reconnect to the network.
    Any solution for unexpected disconnections from the GPRS network?
    I'm guessing here, but judging by the spotty T-Mobile service in my area, ( I can go from 3 bars to 0 bars just by walking into the next room) they probably do not have the capacity to keep a lot of GPRS connections alive, so they get dropped after a period of inactivity.

Michael
    If you want to connect to earthlink e-mail using GRPS from T-Mobile, you have to use Earthlink's authorized smpt address:

From http://support.earthlink.net/mu/1/ps.../7280.psc.html

To minimize the sending of junk email, EarthLink does not allow non-subscribers to use our outgoing (SMTP) email servers. If you are an EarthLink subscriber, but you are connected to the Internet using another provider (office network, hotel network, international roaming), you will need to use our Authenticated SMTP server, which allows us to identify you.

Change your server address to smtpauth.earthlink.net and use your your EarthLink email address as the Account ID or Username. Use your EarthLink password and the Password.