webOS Nation Forums >  Carrier Discussion >  North American Carriers (GSM) > AT&T Unlimited Data
AT&T Unlimited Data

Old 10/11/2011, 05:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

Hey Everyone,
Since a lot of us seem to be going to AT&T for the pre3's (i did), i wanted to make sure you know how to get unlimited data again. I can help if you like, but look up using an iphone 2g (original iphone) in order to force access to its old 2g unlimited data plan. Once you get that working, drop the sim in your new phone and call customer service (611) and they'll swap you over to a 3g/4g unlimited plan as you'll be 'grandfathered' in. Is 30 a month vs 25 for 2gb, but a lot cheaper than the even the slightly bigger 4gb for 45 a month. Thought you would all like to know. I have an iphone 2g around if you need help making it work.
gtkansan is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: laoh
Old 10/11/2011, 07:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

can this be done with a new gophone account?
mbk1487 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 07:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

no. Only applies to a standard account.
Old 10/11/2011, 07:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmmm... I may need to come borrow your iphone, fellow Atlantan!
Still on sprint with my pre-, got an ATT pre3 and was trying to decide on what to do next...
But sms/mms is yet another add-on right?

Thanks for the info.
laoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 07:41 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's awesome. I won't need to already be on AT&T? I maybe coming from Sprint then. Is the detailed instruction anywhere or is it simply straightforward?

-- Sent from my HP TouchPad using Communities

My Palm Pre Evo Tree
Pilot 5000 -> 1MB Upg -> Zire -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> 4-yr abstinance -> Palm Pre!
ghwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

would this work for new customers? If I signed up today with an original iphone would I be able to accomplish this?
crucian4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 07:56 PM   #7 (permalink)

works fine for new custs.I did it on Sunday.

yes sms is still extra, I'm working on this by porting my number to google voice. Then using gvmax to have sms come through google talk. Its working really well so far, and sms from web works just fine too on my touchpad. Wish I had family on my account to make the sms plan be spreadable, but oh well.

laoh, your name isn't Jonathon by chance is it? I live in midtown and work at Gatech, would be glad to help.
Old 10/11/2011, 09:18 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
works fine for new custs.I did it on Sunday.
So, I port my number to create a new account. Then what do I select for my plan for the iPhone 2? Did you do all of it by phone or just the activation of the Pre 3? Thx ...
geewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/11/2011, 09:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

you just get an unactivated sim card and place it in the iphone 2g. Wipe the phone and then let itunes activate it. It'll pick the 2g plan for you. This is why it is needed, the only way to have access to this plan is through this device. It takes a hugely high up att customer service agent to be able to get to it, and they don't set it up easily. Thus this way of using itunes bypasses it.
Thanked by geewhiz, ghwin
Old 10/12/2011, 12:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

so are you getting HSPA+ speeds on your pre3?
emceesquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 02:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

how did you get the un-activated sim if you are porting a number?
crucian4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/13/2011, 02:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
you just get an unactivated sim card and place it in the iphone 2g. Wipe the phone and then let itunes activate it. It'll pick the 2g plan for you. This is why it is needed, the only way to have access to this plan is through this device. It takes a hugely high up att customer service agent to be able to get to it, and they don't set it up easily. Thus this way of using itunes bypasses it.
OK, got that but how do I get my phone number ported over? The porting has to take place up front for it to happen. Can iTunes handle that?
Old 10/15/2011, 12:39 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by geewhiz View Post
OK, got that but how do I get my phone number ported over? The porting has to take place up front for it to happen. Can iTunes handle that?
I don't really mind changing my # so much, but my Sprint # is integrated with Google Voice which is handy. I would guess a trip to the ATT store or phone call would handle that. Just tell them you want to change your exisiting "business" # from Sprint to your personal ATT #. I can't imagine they would tell you they wouldn't port it over. The Sprint account has your name/credentials associated with it.
matteebee13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 12:44 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Port your Sprint number to AT&T by calling 888-898-7685.
dale46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 02:27 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
YOu guys, the sim card is a cheap and easy thing to swap.

Go to a store and swap your number over, say that you have a phone at home and yes it works. Just sign up for minutes, no data. Ask for a SECOND unactivated sim, theyll give you one, they are free.

When you get home you use the unactivated one with the itunes/iphone deal. Itll ask you for your number, and zip code. Itll then swap the activation from the sim you have activated, onto the one in the iphone.

Thats how you can do it, or you can just port your number after you do the initial setup. Theyll give you a local number, that you then port over with your old number. Either way works. I would prefer to do the port first, then swap, because there are fewer people involved, but its up to you.
Old 10/15/2011, 08:52 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:

Go to a store and swap your number over, say that you have a phone at home and yes it works. Just sign up for minutes, no data. Ask for a SECOND unactivated sim, theyll give you one, they are free.

When you get home you use the unactivated one with the itunes/iphone deal. Itll ask you for your number, and zip code. Itll then swap the activation from the sim you have activated, onto the one in the iphone.

Thats how you can do it, or you can just port your number after you do the initial setup. Theyll give you a local number, that you then port over with your old number. Either way works. I would prefer to do the port first, then swap, because there are fewer people involved, but its up to you.
Could you be slightly more specific? Should I be signing up with a contract? Will this work with a Go plan (month to month)? I'd like to put my wife on it too. If I sign up with the family plan (minutes only) and port both our #s to SIM cards, THEN get 2 unactivated SIM cards to activate with your iphone method can I do it for both of us? My main question concerns which "minutes only" plan you're referring to. Thanks in advance, this sounds very promising...
matteebee13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10/15/2011, 09:28 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:

OK, think I got it now! BTW, I'm coming from VZW/Pre2 to ATT/Pre3. Porting in the CDMA world is a LOT harder! Do I need to purchase a iPhone2 or is there an easier way to do that also?
Old 10/16/2011, 05:37 PM   #18 (permalink)

I tried doing this today and the ATT guys would not give me an unactivated sim card. I went to another ATT store right afterwards and they refused as well. Do you absolutely need the unactivated sim card? Can someone grab one for me and I will pay for postage to get it to me? I ran out of ATT stores to visit and try to get sim cards.
maleoutkast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10/16/2011, 06:52 PM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maleoutkast View Post
I tried doing this today and the ATT guys would not give me an unactivated sim card. I went to another ATT store right afterwards and they refused as well. Do you absolutely need the unactivated sim card? Can someone grab one for me and I will pay for postage to get it to me? I ran out of ATT stores to visit and try to get sim cards.
Ordered one on ebay for like $2.... Should get it next week.
Old 10/16/2011, 08:31 PM   #20 (permalink)

managed to get one but itunes does not activate it. It just sits there. I put in the activated sim card and the same thing happens. Just hangs there. Tried uninstalling and re-installing itunes to no avail. I am not sure what I am doing wrong. Even restored iphone too but still doesn't get activated.

EDIT: It's finicky. I tried it with another computer and itunes 9 and it worked. Got confirmation email but the phone still didn't get activated. Gonna check online account and see what happened.

Last edited by maleoutkast; 10/16/2011 at 09:07 PM.
maleoutkast is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0