Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by matteebee13 View Post
    I don't really mind changing my # so much, but my Sprint # is integrated with Google Voice which is handy. I would guess a trip to the ATT store or phone call would handle that. Just tell them you want to change your exisiting "business" # from Sprint to your personal ATT #. I can't imagine they would tell you they wouldn't port it over. The Sprint account has your name/credentials associated with it.
    matteebee13...

Have you actually ported your Sprint/GV number over to AT&T? I assume you converted your actual Sprint number to be a Google Voice number as I did. If you have done this, did it work OK? Did you lose some GV capabilities?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by 500vdc View Post
    matteebee13...

Have you actually ported your Sprint/GV number over to AT&T? I assume you converted your actual Sprint number to be a Google Voice number as I did. If you have done this, did it work OK? Did you lose some GV capabilities?

Thanks!
    Not yet, still trying to decide between ATT & H2O. I have a Pre 3 up & running on ATT & so far not terribly impressed with data speed, phone service etc but LOVE the Pre 3 too much to use Sprint. As for google voice... One of the great thing about it is the temp ATT # (I just activated) I added as one of my phones on my GV account and have it ring as my Sprint #, so all my calls, texts etc I get on my Pre 3 using the Sprint #. I haven't had to change yet because if you call my Sprint # both phones ring. It's actually working out nearly perfectly. I can deactivate this feature using GV and simply inchecking a box. I still can't reply to SMS or MMS but this feature will be avail shortly (according to GV) using email. And my SMS comes to both devices also (the GV shows a strange phobe number, but the contact stays in tact so you know who it's from)
    can anyone do this via a youtube video or something with nicely laid out directions. This could be really nice but very hard to follow in this thread
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    YOu guys, the sim card is a cheap and easy thing to swap.

Go to a store and swap your number over, say that you have a phone at home and yes it works. Just sign up for minutes, no data. Ask for a SECOND unactivated sim, theyll give you one, they are free.

When you get home you use the unactivated one with the itunes/iphone deal. Itll ask you for your number, and zip code. Itll then swap the activation from the sim you have activated, onto the one in the iphone.

Thats how you can do it, or you can just port your number after you do the initial setup. Theyll give you a local number, that you then port over with your old number. Either way works. I would prefer to do the port first, then swap, because there are fewer people involved, but its up to you.
    When I asked for the "unactivated" SIM card for an iphone 2g at the store the response was that that SIM card is unavailable from ATT & outdated. They told me it may be possible to find one on ebay. When I look there, there are many, but none specifically for the iphone 2g
  5.    #25  
    doesn't need to be 2g card. Just an unactivated card.
    Quote Originally Posted by stu5797 View Post
    can anyone do this via a youtube video or something with nicely laid out directions. This could be really nice but very hard to follow in this thread
    Personally I'm kind of hoping to keep this thread buried so the folks at ATT don't shut the door on this "loophole" before I can set it up!
  7.    #27  
    this has been posted all over for more than a year man, thousands of posts and many blog posts. They can't turn it off without ruining every 2g iphone that gets reset. They'd never get away with it.
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Could you be slightly more specific? Should I be signing up with a contract? Will this work with a Go plan (month to month)? I'd like to put my wife on it too. If I sign up with the family plan (minutes only) and port both our #s to SIM cards, THEN get 2 unactivated SIM cards to activate with your iphone method can I do it for both of us? My main question concerns which "minutes only" plan you're referring to. Thanks in advance, this sounds very promising...
    Did you get an answer about the family plan? Have you done this?
    I am very interested in the details.

Thank you.
    Quote Originally Posted by meir602 View Post
    Did you get an answer about the family plan? Have you done this?
    I am very interested in the details.

Thank you.
    This just seemed a bit shady and I needed an iphone, so I'm on H2O. Unlimited everything is $120 for 2 phones but 3G data is throttled so youtube videos stutter but pandora is smooth. If I tether to my TouchPad, browsing is fine but any streaming (slingbox, hulu, etc.) forget about it. ATT wasn't much better with the H+ stutters so I went with H2O cuz it's cheaper.
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    For anyone interested- I was able to get this working.

Bought a blank AT&T SIM card from ebay for a few dollars

Activated it using itunes and a friends old 2g iphone. This took a while as itunes was very finicky when it came to recognizing the old iphone. I finally found an older version of itunes that would do it. I was adding a new line itunes lets you put in your current AT&T account info. You are able to select unlimited data for the new iphone line, and can select different packages for texts.

I was supposed to receive a confirmation email but it never came. In fact, the old iphone never showed the new SIM as activated. I finally stuck the SIM card in my VEER and it worked right off the bat.

I just got my AT&T statement and the new line is part of my family plan. The bill for the new line has an entry, "Data Unlimited for Original iPhone & 1500 Text Messages" for $30/month.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
    Quote Originally Posted by jc-Treo View Post
    For anyone interested- I was able to get this working.

Bought a blank AT&T SIM card from ebay for a few dollars

Activated it using itunes and a friends olo iphone. This took a while as itunes was very finicky when it came to recognizing the old iphone. I finally found an older version of itunes that would do it. I was adding a new line itunes lets you put in your current AT&T account info. You are kable to select unlimited data for the new iphone line, and can select different packages for texts.

I was supposed to receive a confirmation email but it never came. In fact, the old iphone never showed the new SIM as activated. I finally stuck the SIM card in my VEER and it worked right off the bat.

I just got my AT&T statement and the new line is part of my family plan. The bill for the new line has an entry, "Data Unlimited for Original iPhone & 1500 Text Messages" for $30/month.
    I found quite a few web pages stating that iTunes 9.0 is required for this process. When I plug in the 2g iPhone iTunes states that iTunes cannot connect to the device which is iOS 4.2.1 which means iOS néeds to be Downgraded which requires jailbreaking which is more Time/effort than I'm willing to put In. Tipping on this Ihone sucks btw
    Global Posts
    444 Global Posts
    I found quite a few web pages stating that iTunes 9.0 is required for this process. When I plug in the 2g iPhone iTunes states that iTunes cannot connect to the device which is iOS 4.2.1 which means iOS néeds to be Downgraded which requires jailbreaking which is more Time/effort than I'm willing to put In. Tipping on this Ihone sucks btw
    I am not familiar with the different versions of iOS. However, I did do a factory reset on the iPhone 2g, which I assume put it back to the stock version.
    Last edited by jc-Treo; 12/26/2011 at 02:06 PM.
    Sprint Treo 650 --> Sprint Treo 700p --> Sprint Centro --> Sprint Pre- --> AT&T Veer/ Pre 2/ Pre 3, Touchpad
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12