Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1.    #1  
    hi, i'm a nyc t-mo user who just loaded gprs on my treo 270. to date, i have been using eudora mail for dial-up access to email (dialing into yahoo mail and pulling it down). a couple of gprs-related questions:

    - now that i've upgraded to gprs, do i need to make any settings changes in eudora mail (or elsewhere) in order to get always-on email?

    - what is the best email app to use with gprs? again, i am primarily interested in pulling down yahoo mail, but it would be nice to have the option to access various accounts (i.e. hotmail)

    - i also access my yahoo mail from my pc at home and am not sure of how to deal with duplication issues related to receiving the same email on both my treo and my pc (i.e. deleting an email on the treo and wanting it or NOT wanting it to be deleted on the pc). how do people manage this issue?

    - any idea on whether or not sms messages sent as a gprs user eats up gprs data allocated to me each month or does sms remain a "dial-up" process independent of gprs that does NOT use up my precious data. with t-mo nyc, i have been buying 500 sms messages a month for $3 or so - should i get rid of this plan or keep it now that i'm on a gprs user on a gprs plan?

    thanks.
  2. #2  
    Originally posted by gabriellevy
    - any idea on whether or not sms messages sent as a gprs user eats up gprs data allocated to me each month or does sms remain a "dial-up" process independent of gprs that does NOT use up my precious data. with t-mo nyc, i have been buying 500 sms messages a month for $3 or so - should i get rid of this plan or keep it now that i'm on a gprs user on a gprs plan?
    I don't think SMS counts towards your minutes or your data with TMO. As you stated, you're paying $3 for 500 messages. By the way, do you need 500 SMS messages? The data plans from TMO include 300 SMS messages....

    I got rid of the extra $3 charge, because 300 messages included in my data plan is plenty for me.
  3. #3  
    Originally posted by gabriellevy
    hi, i'm a nyc t-mo user who just loaded gprs on my treo 270. to date, i have been using eudora mail for dial-up access to email (dialing into yahoo mail and pulling it down). a couple of gprs-related questions:

    - now that i've upgraded to gprs, do i need to make any settings changes in eudora mail (or elsewhere) in order to get always-on email?

    - what is the best email app to use with gprs? again, i am primarily interested in pulling down yahoo mail, but it would be nice to have the option to access various accounts (i.e. hotmail)

    - i also access my yahoo mail from my pc at home and am not sure of how to deal with duplication issues related to receiving the same email on both my treo and my pc (i.e. deleting an email on the treo and wanting it or NOT wanting it to be deleted on the pc). how do people manage this issue?
    By the way, I use SnapperMail and love it. However, I don't think it works with Yahoo. See some of the other threads on TC. There's lots of good info out there. Here's a great thread (although lengthly) with an excellent resource table posted by Dan Harkless: Best eMail program for Treo!
  4. #4  
    What email program does work with Yahoo!
  5.    #5  
    thanks for the feedback.

    a couple of follow-up questions:

    - tommygreen, are you sure that i get 300 sms msgs included with my t-mo plan? mind you, i have not signed-up for gprs yet - i am currently using the 3000 minutes for $59/month regional north east area plan. i thought i only got like 50 and that is why i opted to pay the $3 extra/month. am i wrong?


    - question regarding t-mo sms's: per the sms msgs they give you with your plan (whether it be 300 as you suggested or 50), are these both "send" and "receive" sms msgs or are they only allocating you a certain number of "sends" (i.e. 50) and a certain number of "receives" (i.e. 250) per month? i seem to remember reading a post somewhere on TC that suggested that t-mo can KILL you cost-wise on this because they give you fewer "sends" than "receives" and people may tend to send more than receive sms msgs.

    thanks.
  6. #6  
    Originally posted by gabriellevy
    - tommygreen, are you sure that i get 300 sms msgs included with my t-mo plan? mind you, i have not signed-up for gprs yet - i am currently using the 3000 minutes for $59/month regional north east area plan. i thought i only got like 50 and that is why i opted to pay the $3 extra/month. am i wrong?
    We're both right. (It depends on your plan.) On your non-data plan, you get 50 SMS messages. And for you, if that's not enough, you add the additional 500 for $3. This is exactly what I was doing before I added the data plan to my voice plan. With the data plan, 300 messages are part of the plan. So you end up with 350 total: 300 from the data plan, and 50 from the voice plan. So if you sign up for the GPRS plan, and if 350 is enough for you, drop the $3 charge for the additional 500. That's what I did. Hopefully this clarifies what I said before.


    Originally posted by gabriellevy
    - question regarding t-mo sms's: per the sms msgs they give you with your plan (whether it be 300 as you suggested or 50), are these both "send" and "receive" sms msgs or are they only allocating you a certain number of "sends" (i.e. 50) and a certain number of "receives" (i.e. 250) per month? i seem to remember reading a post somewhere on TC that suggested that t-mo can KILL you cost-wise on this because they give you fewer "sends" than "receives" and people may tend to send more than receive sms msgs.
    This I'm unsure about. I've never been dinged for too many sends vs. receives. And I haven't seen a post about this. (Admittedly, I haven't done a search, either. ) But I've never used more than about 50% of my monthly allotment of SMS messages, so I'm probably not a good example for this to happen to. (But now that I think about it, I've probably sent more than 50 a month, and haven't seen any additional charges on my bill...)

    Hope this helps!
    Tommy

Posting Permissions